Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-11-2001, 02:08 PM
Inactive User

Default Why won't my bell housing fit???

I bought a 4-speed setup at a swap meet with an 11" flywheel, pedals, hurst shifter, and tunnel cut-out, and I thought I got a pretty good deal. The only thing the guy didn't have was the bellhousing. He has a cast iron housing that didn't fit because the hole where the tranny mated was too small for the input shaft flange. He had an aluminum, 10" flywheel housing the did fit. I finally found another steel bell housing, but it too doesn't fit.

The hole on the bellhousing is 4-7/8", and I think I need 5-1/4". What are the possibilities that Chrysler made 2 different flanges for the two different flywheel sizes? Or is it a truck tranny with a car shifter attached? Did I get screwed?

Thanks for anyone's help!
Old 11-11-2001, 02:37 PM
Inactive User

They made 2 different input shafts,fine spline in 69 had smaller bearing on 383 cars-RB had big bearing and course spline.Find correct bellhousig(easier)or take trans apart and make it what you want.That's what I did,then rebuilt trans.
Old 11-11-2001, 03:05 PM
Inactive User

This is a 23-spline 833 (Code on pad is PP 833 813, so I think it was made in August, '73?).

Meepmeem: The problem that I see with your suggestion about making it what I want is that the pilot housing bolts barely fit inside the 4-7/8" opening of the bellhousing now, so I'd still have to find the correct bellhousing, right? Or do all 833's have the same mounting holes for the pilot housing, and Chrysler just made two different housings? Anyone know why there would be two different pilot housings?
Old 11-11-2001, 06:42 PM
Inactive User

Question

My van has a 4-speed w/ OD, and it has an aluminum case.... Would all OD tranny's have aluminum cases? Or just newer ones (my van is an '82, and before you ask, it came stock w/ the 4-speed.... makes it very hard to get rid of. I've never seen another). Anyway, since it also fit an aluminum bell housing, would an OD tranny also have a 10" bellhousing stock? Because when I bought the tranny the guy had an aluminum bell housing that fit, but not an iron one.

Finally, the OD tranny will give me better gas economy at the expensive of acceleration. This being so, will an OD tranny be able to take a rebuilt 440, lets say with 500 HP and 550 ft-lbs, hypothetically?

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 11-11-2001, 10:22 PM
Inactive User

from what i have heard. there is no way a overdrive a833 will work behind any sorts of power.

as for the 2 different sizes. i believe that has more to do with the bearing sizes. but, for what ever reason, they did make 2 different sizes. There should be no reason that a machine shop shouldn't be able to open that hole for you for just a few dollars.