Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Durango Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-12-2001, 07:59 PM
Inactive User

Angry Anti Freeze smell

OK all, has anyone had this problem? Every time you turn on the heater there is a strong smell of anti-freeze. Doesn't fog over the windshield though when running the defroster. It even smelled earlier this summer while running the air conditioner. Initially it only smelled some of the time but now it smells ALL the time you run the heater! It's been at the dealer twice now and the morons say they can't smell nothing but did there pressure test and added some coolant It makes me very upset because my 12 year old can smell it and makes him sick to ride in the Durango.

If anyone has had this experience please reply...it's getting cold here in Colorado and I really don't want to pull apart the dash to see it the heater core is the culpret.

Thanks in advance, TMAC.
Old 11-13-2001, 10:44 AM
Inactive User

TMAC:

I hate to say it, but your probably right, it's probably the heater core. Do you have a local shop that you used to go to, one that you trust? Bring your D in there, and have them find out what's wrong, then go to your dealer. That's what I have to do.

I tell them that I had it at another shop, and this is what they said. Tell them they're incompitant. That you have to go somewhere else first to get the work done correctly. When you get that little card, or call from DC about your service experience, tell them you had to go somewhere else forst.

TMAC, you'll be surprised how well they take care of you after that. They hardly BS you around, and they're real nice. Those little cards mean allot to them. They need good ratings. They make more $$$$ that way.

Good Luck
Ugg
Old 11-13-2001, 12:35 PM
Inactive User

For sure it's the heater core. I had the same problem in my Camaro, even as far as the dealer denying the possibility until I started seeing the white smoke coming out of the dash!
Old 11-13-2001, 07:29 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the reply's. How difficult is it to get to the heater core on these Durago's? I've changed a few out in my older vehicals but not nothing this new.

Just a update, one of the so-called Techs did smell something and went ahead and kept the D to do some more testing and was going to run something threw the ventalation system maybe to cover up the smell. Does anyone know what they "run threw" the vents?
Old 11-13-2001, 08:31 PM
Inactive User

TMAC:

Haven't a clue? You don't want to mess with your heater core. All those plastic patrs. Heat shrink. Naw, not this cowboy. Not anymore. Besides TMAC, aren't you covered by the warranty still? You should be. Isn't there a shop close to you that you trust?

Later
Ugg
Old 11-15-2001, 11:24 PM
Inactive User

Well got the Dur back from the dealer and they did run some kind of freshener through the vents because it does smell diffrent. My wife picked it up so I didn't get a chance to talk to anyone to find out what it was. They did say if we smell anything after a couple of weeks to bring it back. I think this is just a bandaide for now, time will tell.

Thanks for the replies, I'll update later. TMAC
Old 11-16-2001, 02:02 AM
Inactive User

TMAC:

I hope that your problems are over, but if they do come back, I hope that there's another dealer around, cause I wouldn't go back to them on a bet.

Good Luck
Ugg