Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-13-2001, 09:58 AM
Inactive User

Default headers

Need some advice on headers for 1972 plymouth scamp,318, automatic.

Thanks, Pete
Old 11-13-2001, 10:30 AM
Inactive User

I have Hedman's on my '74 Duster 318. STAY AWAY from them. They seem tempting for the price, but there's almost always another one. I've heard some good about Doug Thorley's and some guys prefer the Hooker Competition. If you can afford it, TTI's are real nice. You want to look for a thick flange, ability to install without having to remove half of your steering components, and the ability to work on the parts around them as well as the standard rust control. I wish I had the money for TTI's from the start. But speed's expensive, and I need a better job.
Old 11-13-2001, 01:53 PM
Inactive User

spit fire headers. he has a set of headders that will supposedly drop into an A body, with one hand. not go under the linkage, and some other good stuff like that.

http://www.angelfire.com/ak4/spitfireheaders/
Old 11-13-2001, 07:55 PM
Inactive User

I have a 71 scamp with 340, manual steering and brakes, no air cond. I use the hooker #5204 and love them. They're 1 3/4 tubed , might be too big for a 318. They also have 1 5/8 super comps(Hooker). The 5204's have all 8 primary tubes going straight down so changing plugs is a 5 minute job!
Send me a picture of your scamp if ya got one!
Old 11-14-2001, 02:04 AM
Inactive User

Hi, I have 2 sets of Heddman right now. I have a plain set on a 360, and the left one leaks in the cluster since day one. They were under the work bench for 9 years brand new, so warrantty is not available.

I just purchased a set of Heddman Elites, and they seem alright. I wanted Hookers, but my application was heavy work and Heddman was really the only one in the game.

I did a whole bunch of research that I will share if you like. Thorely seems real good, however they don't ceramic coat, they told me on the phone that they have no proof ceramic does anything. I wanted ceramic. Thorely uses nickle coat, or plain un-coated. If you ceramic coat the Thorely's the warranty is gone. If you need warranty, the headers have to go back to the factory first, and you wait.

Hookers were my first pick, it was for a motorhome, and the only ones they build for this app. are the super competitions. Perfect, I thought. Super comps are 18 gauge tube, 1/2 the thickness of the standard 16 gauge used on everyday headers. Just so you know up front the tubes are light. Hooker also has normal everyday headers at 16 gauge.

Heddman has 16 guage headers with 3/16 flange, they seem to have more leaks than others. Heddman Elite are 14 gauge, twice as thick, and the flange is 3/8's, and they are ceramic coated inside and out from the factory. The coupler is 3/8 but the reducer is the same thin pile the standard headers come with.

I hope this helps. I like the Hooker Super Comp in your app., but don't get too lean in the jets, or the first corner of the tubes will crack and blow out the thin tube is not forgiving even though they are ceramic coated as well.

There is also a bunch of new names on the market, but I couldn't get much info.
Old 11-14-2001, 09:17 AM
Inactive User

Default Headers

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the info on the headers. This gives me some ideas and a starting point. Trying to get this scamp down into the 14s on the 1/4 so need a little more power. Doing 15.3 now. Already added edelbrock performer intake, 600cfm 4bbl holley,mopar electronic ignition,dual exhaust,K&N filter.

Thanks again for the help,

Pete Lewis
petek4apx@cs.com