Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-15-2001, 12:30 AM
Inactive User

Default New cummins questions

I just sold my trusty old 91 D250 cummins with 200k on it.

We needed more room and 4wd, so I'm looking at a 2500 with the cummins.

I test drove an 01 2500 4x4 HO and didn't really care for it.
The problems could be easily fixed, like a blow-off valve. It just seemed to lose all of it's steam when I shifted, even shifting at WOT.

I don't plan to haul anything really serious with it, but do plan to modify it. Working in Dallas, I'm leaning towards the auto. Any major problems? My 91 was an auto and I never had a problem with it. But then again I like shifting.... Is the new 5-speed a better piece than the old getrag 5-speed??

What types of mods are available for the 24v? Power numbers?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-15-2001, 01:45 AM
Inactive User

I have an HO 6spd...the problem is that you are gonna lose boost on every shift especially with the 6 spd, you don't lose boost with an automatic....its not so bad if you shift the 6 at 2700rpm...another thing about the difference you felt is your 91 had a non wastgated turbo unless you modded it.
If you want accelaration do not get a manual tranny unless you're a real good gear slammer with deep pockets.
As for modifying read this:
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...&threadid=9797
The NV4500 is way better than the Getrash 360.
The auto will have to be upgraded if you add power.

Mods for the 24V: Black Boxes(fuel,timing and boost fooling wizmo gadgets), injectors(either those from the 275hp motorhome engine or the aftermarket extrude honed variety)

Power? an Edge Comp(black box) can get you 120hp over stock...with smoke control.
Old 11-15-2001, 11:51 PM
Inactive User

I have the HO quad cad short box which I sold my 96' 5spd reg cab for the same reason...more room and still fits in my garage. Before the 96' I had a 93' reg cab with the Getrag 5spd. Got to admit that I was a little disappointed with the HO at first, I think my 96' 12 valve would have beat it untill about 4k miles and the first oil change. Then the beast seemed to come alive. Earlier this summer went over Monarch pass to Gunnison here in Colorado pulling my 5er and 2 sit down jetskies behind that and I was then very impressed. Pulling in 5th up the pass there was nothing going to stop it. My wife even had to comment when I would catch traffic going up and make me slow down During the rest of the summer went to Lake Powell and Nebraska pulling the same rig and it seems to keep getting better with a little over 7K miles on the clock so I guess what I'm trying to say is don't let the first impression of the truck foul you...GO with the HO you won't regret it!
Old 11-16-2001, 12:28 AM
Inactive User

The few HO's I have seen are not optioned out like I would like.

The one I drove was ok, slt, cd/cass, and already wired for a trailer, but it had 13k, and they weren't aware of the history on it, so I decided to pass.

I'd prefer a long bed, but found a decent 02 QC shortbed 4x4 which I'm going to look at.

As far as shifting gears, I've been racing since I was a child, started out on minibikes when I was ~4. I can shift with the best of them But that really isn't my goal with the truck.

As far as mods, I see the HO and the standard 5-speed having 1 gear difference and any performance increase can be made up for.

Gunnison is a name I haven't heard for awhile. I used to live in Florissant, up until 98, from the springs originally. Doing my level best to get back up that way. Damn californians are inundating TX much like they did CO
Old 11-17-2001, 12:03 AM
Inactive User

Your right about finding one with all options. I must have looked at what seems like 100 trucks and just about all the dealers in the 75 mile radius before I found one that had what I wanted! At first I wanted the 4:10 gears like I had in my 96' with the 5spd but top speed was only 80 maybe 85 if I sat there at red line, but I settled with the 3:54's because with the 6spd you have low end grunt plus a lot more on the top end.

Good luck in your search, TMAC
Old 11-17-2001, 12:11 AM
Inactive User

Welp,
I have an 02 Ram 2500 4x4 SWB sitting in my driveway right now.
I would have preferred the LWB, but what the hell. It has the NV4500 5-speed which was the only one I found.

The important thing is, it gets me out of my 98gt and back into a truck.
I ran by diesel injection service's in Dallas last night and talked to the mechanic. Now I'll have to figure out what mods to do first.
Anyone have a .wav file with the 24v straight piped?
Old 11-17-2001, 02:32 AM
Inactive User

I'll give a short introduction. I work for Kenworth. I work on diesel engines and transmissions mostly. Cummins, Cat and Detroit. I have a 99 2500. The second day I owned it I swapped injector nozzles (not the entire injector) to 275 HP. A couple of months back I installed the HO ECM. It has a five speed and I installed the mainshaft kit from Standard Transmission and Gear, in Houston, Texas. The kit was under $500.00. I never had any problems with the transmission, but I figured what the heck, if it went it would be in the middle of nowhere. For some information on the ISB visit Cummins.com, there is iformation on the Roadrelay. It is new for the Dodge but has been available on the N14, ISX and others for sometime now.
Old 11-18-2001, 02:34 AM
Inactive User

Default more info too on cummins

i have a 1 gen truck with 250 hp at rear tires
beats a lot of fuled up 2001's

1 st if 2001 mod gauges then comp box ez
2 nd if you are going with more hp later
then go with south bend clutch or a/t mods next
then dd3 injectors then hx 40 modified or stock
hx 40 turbo to keep exhaust temp down

exaust is only a small increase in hp
will drop ext temps some, fuel lines can be upgraded too
for all out power buy a 96-98 12 v w/ p 7100
pump federal 5 speed then do mods
it will out fuel a 2001 .

my 93 will run right next to a 2001
w/ 400 hp at rear tires up to about 65 or
1 990' in qtr then they go 10 mph more
at end of qtr a p7100 pump motor will do better
Old 11-19-2001, 05:47 PM
Inactive User

the new trucks have wide range of things you can do to them. the five speed is now made by New Venture Gear in NJ. the fisrt and final drive is almost exactly the same as the six speed box. the difference is between third and fourth on the 5er there is a bit of a stretch. if you plan on towing alot of wieght then go with the six speed.

the only problem, I see with the six speed (HO) trucks is they are almost a full point higher on compression. that means thay run higher EGTs (when pulling heavy loads) so its a catch 22. the ETC (non HO) can be easily modified to overcome that 15HP difference too.

one of the first things to do to either trucks would be add a boost module. there are several types and brands i wont get into them. what they do is allow for more boost over the factory setting. (=more HP and lower EGT's) then next would be a "fueling box" you literally can go from mild to wild on these. agian, I wont go there. these trucks are "drive by wire" and the hop-up options are endless. last would be an automatic. there are a few Great kits out there but plan to spend about $2000-$3000 to get it to hang with the manuals with performance clutchs.($600-$1300

BTW I have an 01 5spd with a TST products Powermax 3adj., Bully Dog step 4's, Jardines 4" exhaust, SouthBend Clutch that will run in the high 14's in the 1/4mi. and has about 380RWHP.
Old 11-22-2001, 01:09 AM
Inactive User

Angry Auto-TRASH-mission

I have one of the first 24V 4x4 98.5 trucks in San Diego.

I still kick myself for buying the auto. Yes it does have a few advantages, boost stays up, better acceleration. BUT!! The thing was such a dog I took it back to the dealer and raised hell with the service mgr. He ok'd a dyno check at the local Cummins shop and out of the 215 HP available, ONLY 142 was going to the wheels! I was hot. A 34% power loss through the trans.? The dealer said as long as 60% gets to the wheels it considered acceptable.

The T/C would not lock up until the RPM got to 2400. Since I was used to driving a clutch vechicle for 18 yrs, it gave the same feeling as an oil soaked clutch disc. After only 8 months I replaced the T/C at MY cost and then had a BD valve body put in for another $450.

So in a nutshell, $950 for the tranny, $960 for the T/C and labor, $450 for a valve body and I still get 15-17 mph at best!

I installed a TST powermax 2 box and what a differnece! I would NOT still own the truck if this box was not available. It gives an extra 80 HP and 250 lb. Ft of torque. Now it feels like it should have from Dodge.

As far as gears sets go. I say go with the 4:10s in the autos, 3:54s in the gearbox models unless your going to pull a BIG trailer.

The gear ratio of 1st in the auto falls between 2nd and 3rd in the gearbox.

As far as the O.Drive goes. The gearbox has a 25% OD where as the auto has a 31% O.D.

The 3:54's in the auto I have work good but I think the 4:10's would have been a better choice. Then again, I WILL NEVER OWN another auto-TRASH-mission. Oh ya don't forget, you loose 2 - 6 mpg for the convience of not shifting.

BAD INVESTMENT! Yes the Autos can be built to work like they should have from the factory but I was told it's going to be about 3K MORE to get it right!

What can I say. sorry to be so long winded but I feel for the amt of hard earned $$ that we have / will sink into these trucks people need to be informed.
Old 11-25-2001, 02:25 AM
Inactive User

After going back to the dodge dealer (they tried to screw me) I started looking at the prices of used trucks.

Just seems for the money I would be better off to look at something used.
Found several 01's for ~24k, much better than the 36k they were wanting from me Most of those were with under 30k on them.

I also feel a little bit better about throwing mods at a somewhat used truck than a brand new one.
Old 11-26-2001, 10:20 AM
Inactive User

24 for a used '01 truck????,,,Come on now,unless prices down in Tx are way off the map I'll not believe that one,,Just something for you to think about,I myself just added a new '01 6spd H/O Flame Red Sport to my stable for my wife,,Its got all the bells including leather power seats,infinity,alloys,265/75r16 LTX's, anti spin,trailer tow,camper package,plow prepped,bed liner and glass lid and got out dealers lot for $31,420,,Looks good in the driveway with my 98 next to it,,As for the auto vs stick deal,certainly if you do not keep up with the motor you'll loose some boost on the shift,but,sticks are far better for me than auto's,,More versitile,wider band of gear selection for those extra duties,,Its your choice though,,As for the "I can overcome the 15hp difference with a box deal" well all I can say is this,,Thos ewho belive that are foolish,because whats to say the H/O owners will not either then your still at a disadvantage,,We had a few H/O trucks pull at our recent dyno event,both stock and modified,and with or without they were impressive,,Had one gentleman with a small box on his and a set of DD3"s make a pull that carried power and torque numbers across the sheet that would make any owner smile,,You need to do some research on the H/O motor before you condone it,just because it makes only a meare 15hp more,,Said it before and I'll say it again,research my friend,then make your purchase,,Just my .02....
P.S=Remember the golden rule as the power mission begins also when it relates to your purchase of your truck,,I AM MY OWN WARRANTY STATION!!!!!,,Say it over and over again and learn it