Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-15-2001, 07:33 PM
Inactive User

Question

I have just purchased a 1978 "U" code 440, dodge monaco chp police car. This car has all the hd and hp options that were available for that year (three fender tags) and is stock. I was able to buy it for $50 because a tree fell on the roof. Now the question; I would like to remove the 78 body and and put on a 73 or older "B" body (pre california smog). Any one ever do that or know of someone who has? Any great problems? Can you point me towards any resources that may help?
Big Block George
Old 01-15-2001, 10:19 PM
Inactive User

OK working from front to back youll need the monaco(C body) radiator and hoses,youll have to redrill your radiator support to bolt it in,your motor mounts will bolt right up but your oilpan & pickup tube wont,youll need a 72-74 383-440 b or c body one,your manifolds will work,your existing throttle cable will be a little too long but works fine,your c body trans lines will work but will need some shortening,youll have to cross breed your shifting linkage depending on what trans the B body had,your trans will bolt up to the mount no prob,use the B body wiring,if it was a 318 youll have to lengthen a few wires if BB no mods needed,if the b body doesnt have an 8.75 rearend it wont last long,your c body wont have one either(9.25)its not too hard to do,its nice to have another car present when doing it to reference off of,what a buy!!!!...PRO...
Old 01-16-2001, 12:37 AM
Inactive User

Smile

Because it is a Uni-body you cannot remove the body. This car has no frame except at the front and rear.
You will need to find another Car and swap your parts on to it.

That's why I find it funny when they say that a Mopar has had a frame off restoration. That's impossible it a unibody you'd have to cut the welds off and pull of the frame pieces.

Jason
indychamp@hotmail.com
Jason's Aspen/Volare Club http://www.geocities.com/indychamp