Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Durango Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-17-2001, 07:19 PM
Inactive User

Default Home Depot Grill

I know people have made them cheap and they end up looking really nicce, and I was wondering how they do it. I heard that once the black plastic is removed it can't be put back in, is this true? Thanks.
Old 11-17-2001, 08:14 PM
Regular Guy

Search the Dakota page on this chat sight, there is a good set of pics and description.

I did mine, once the black inserts are out, they CAN NOT be put back on.
Old 11-18-2001, 11:29 PM
Inactive User

it never occured to me that the grill on the dakota is the same as the durango. I found an exellent site for anyone else who is interested, thanks

http://www.chimptopia.com/pimptopia/grille.html
Old 11-19-2001, 09:04 PM
Inactive User

Default Grill

I did it to my Dakota and put it behind the plastic grill,I keep my trucks and will return it to stock when I get a new one in 2004.I took me two hours to finish,Just take your time,Looks Great!
Old 11-22-2001, 02:27 PM
Tree Hugger

Cool I did it too

I put the gutter guards in my grille and it looked great. But a few days later a bird flew into it and now I have to do it again. good thing it is a cheap mod.

John
Old 11-22-2001, 08:06 PM
Inactive User

Default rusting

Will the gutter guard rust over time? Espceially with the winter snow and salt? I'm wondering now that I'm almost done if I should have coated it with something.
Old 11-23-2001, 09:17 AM
Regular Guy

NO, if you got the silver one, it is stainless steel or aluminum.

BTW, if it does rust, mine only cost $8 so I'll do it again.
Old 11-23-2001, 12:16 PM
Inactive User

are you sure? I got a 2.5 by 8 foot sheet for $2.50 and I don't think something that cheap would be aluminium or stainless. although it may have a zinc coating. it took me a long time ro get the mesh to fit right and I don'at want to have to do it again
Old 11-23-2001, 07:44 PM
Inactive User

I'm incredibly frustrated with this stgupid project. is there a way to install the bottom grill without taking off the bumper? I sliced my hand trying to get one of the bols off and none of them will budge. thanks for any help.
Old 11-24-2001, 06:55 AM
Regular Guy

I put the bottom section on with zip ties that were the same color (red) as my truck.

To keep my mesh tight, I bent the edges over under the grill and under the bumper but you're right, lots of sharp things under there.

My wife got me some of those Mechanix gloves, best $24 'tool' you can get.

I cut a small hole in the passenger side and driver side section to allow my off-road light wiring to pass through also plus left a hole to reach the hood release....too lazy to rig a fancy contraption like the "pimpnet" guy.
Old 11-24-2001, 06:58 PM
Inactive User

I have two questions for you. #1, where did you attatch the zip ties to? and #2, how did you get in the valence without taking off the bumper?
Our extended family is going out to dinner tonight to celebrate my grandpa's birthday and my uncle may have an air compressor to get those bolts out. I'll see what happens.
Old 11-24-2001, 08:10 PM
Inactive User

Fools Flyin:

WOW BRO, your goin thru allot of hassle! There's a space between the bumper and radiator. Stick one hand in there, and hold on to the piece. It's also easier to pass the wire ties thru. I have the 01, and I wish that I was able to post pictures. As soon as the new computer's up and running, I'll show ya. Who knows? That might even happen tonight?????

Later
Ugg
Old 11-25-2001, 08:36 AM
Regular Guy

Yes, Ugg, that is what I did also, I just had my Mechanix gloves on so I didn't slice the crap out of my knuckles.

I had weighed taking the bumper off since it is only 5 bolts each side, same ones I had to loosen to put on the Safari bar but I chose the body colored zip ties instead using the uprights in the valance opening as an anchor point. BTW, most of my zip ties are hidden by the Safari bar also.
Old 11-25-2001, 03:33 PM
Inactive User

It has been kind of a pain to do, but my uncle is going to help me get the bumper off either later today or next weekend. I tried the zip ties around the front but my dad made me rip them off because he didn't like the way it looked. I'll eventually get the grill finished.

I do have a pair of gloves that I've been using for handleing the wire and I'm glad I have them.
Old 11-25-2001, 05:35 PM
Regular Guy

I understand now. Just beware, if you take off the bumper, it'll take at least 2 people to get it back on correctly and not have a big gap between the head lights and top of the bumper.

BTW - is this your Durango? I didn't realize you were SO young?
Old 11-25-2001, 06:14 PM
Inactive User

Currently the Durango is my dad's, but when I get my liscence he is going to give it to me. I have my temps and I occasionally gt to drive it and it's a blast.
Old 11-28-2001, 12:25 AM
Inactive User

Default Re: Grill

Quote:
Originally posted by ThomasWStuartJr
I did it to my Dakota and put it behind the plastic grill,I keep my trucks and will return it to stock when I get a new one in 2004.I took me two hours to finish,Just take your time,Looks Great!
Any pics of the grille with the plastic still in place?
Old 12-02-2001, 12:04 PM
Inactive User

I'd like to post pictures of mine but I don't have a digital camara. I'll hopefully have one by Christmas though.
Old 12-02-2001, 05:08 PM
Inactive User

I'd like to see pics too. I bought all the supplies a few months ago after checking out Dark Fury's "chimptopia" site, but just don't have the heart to mutilate my grill. (I know, I know, it's just steel & bolts). Also, the lower valance sounds like a daunting job.
Old 12-02-2001, 10:18 PM
Inactive User

you can leave the black plastic in and it still looks great, on the pewter at least. yeah, and the lower valence is kind of a pain in the butt. it requires an air compressor to get it off and I'm too busy to go over to my uncle's garage. places that require drilling holes are one in the hood latch and either three or five in the frame in the bottom.
Old 12-03-2001, 11:20 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin_Rants
I put the bottom section on with zip ties that were the same color (red) as my truck.

To keep my mesh tight, I bent the edges over under the grill and under the bumper but you're right, lots of sharp things under there.

My wife got me some of those Mechanix gloves, best $24 'tool' you can get.

I cut a small hole in the passenger side and driver side section to allow my off-road light wiring to pass through also plus left a hole to reach the hood release....too lazy to rig a fancy contraption like the "pimpnet" guy.
Hee hee... "The Pimpnet Guy" huh? I love it!

Thanks for visiting my site guys...

BTW Lesley... Chimptopia is our "sister" site... Pimptopia is "my" site.... I just reside on one of his "subdirectories" since my buddy is the one who owns the "Chimptopia" name. LOL.
Old 12-04-2001, 01:12 AM
Inactive User

LOL. Ooops! It's a great site anyhow. (Nice to see you here)
Old 12-04-2001, 06:48 PM
Regular Guy

I took some pictures of mine, I should have them tomorrow. I was too lazy to rig the hood release so I cut a small opening for it
Old 12-04-2001, 11:03 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin_Rants
I took some pictures of mine, I should have them tomorrow. I was too lazy to rig the hood release so I cut a small opening for it
The manual release (with the brake cable and keyring) is SO slick... and makes the install look 100% professional...

I think it is worth the time in doing rather than cutting into your grill to make a hole for the release lever.

It really ain't all that hard to do... believe me.
Old 12-08-2001, 10:17 PM
Inactive User

Default Grill

Send me a E-Mail (rstuart1@cfl.rr.com)and I will send you the picture of my grill,can't post it on the board,don't know why?????????
Old 12-09-2001, 02:55 AM
Inactive User

I finally got the bottom grill done and it looks great, although we used a few custom fabrications since we couldn't find the proper straping which is INCREDIBLE crucial.

Just a suggestion: to take off the bumper only take off the four bolts at the top of the bumoer, two on each side. all eight bolts do not need to be taken off (according to darkfury's page) which made it a heck of a lot easier to line back up.

Also make sure that you have a blanket to set the bumper on to keep it from being scratched.
Old 12-09-2001, 04:55 AM
Inactive User

FoolsFlyin:

Wow, under $5. for the materials, and $300 for labor. What are ya savin? You could have gone out and bought one of those sexy Street Scences Grilles for what it's costin ya. You defeated the whole purpose of the cheapie mod the way your goin about it.

Later
Ugg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d grille.jpg (47.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 12-09-2001, 09:57 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Ugg

Wow, under $5. for the materials, and $300 for labor. What are ya savin? You could have gone out and bought one of those sexy Street Scences Grilles for what it's costin ya. You defeated the whole purpose of the cheapie mod the way your goin about it.

It really didn't cost very much. I spent about $15 on supplies and about $30 for lunch for my dad and my uncle to thank them for helping. It's still cheaper and I think looks better.
Old 12-10-2001, 02:05 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by FoolsFlyingShip
I finally got the bottom grill done and it looks great, although we used a few custom fabrications since we couldn't find the proper straping which is INCREDIBLE crucial.

Just a suggestion: to take off the bumper only take off the four bolts at the top of the bumoer, two on each side. all eight bolts do not need to be taken off (according to darkfury's page) which made it a heck of a lot easier to line back up.

Also make sure that you have a blanket to set the bumper on to keep it from being scratched.
I originally tried to take my bumper off with just the 4 "up top" bolts removed, but it was a "no go"... the bumper wouldn't budge since the bottom 4 bolts were still in place behind the plastic cowling... therefore it didn't come off until the bottom 4 bolts were removed...

(BTW, there are a total of 8 bolts underneath... 4 that are higher and 4 that are lower. I only loosened up the "lower" bolts on the sides and not the ones further up from underneath)

Well, I'm just glad you got it together... My Dakota is a '99.... maybe they just did something different with the Durango? I dunno...