Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-16-2001, 03:42 AM
Inactive User

Has anyone used the Keisler tremec trans swap? I have a 440 727 now,but am longing for a gearbox in my 66,and with the thought of an o/d, cruising possibilities are endless, not to mention the asking prices of 833's anyway. I know that torque breaks parts, not horsepower, so how is the math going to wind up being when 500 ft/lbs and 4100 lbs(ugh)start rolling down the road?should i bring a dust pan?I would really like to try this swap, but longevity of the trans worries me...any ideas?

------------------
'66 Charger, 440ci,Hughs cam, ported 906's,t-flight,TCI 3ooo stall, 8 3/4 4:10,ansen aluminum slots,big daddy dixco tach,1970's period style resto. '86 merkur xr4ti,dynoed @rw "94 nissan sentra se'r
Old 01-16-2001, 05:50 AM
Inactive User

I have emailed them and the owner replied and said that he has one installed in his '68 Charger R/T and that he has had no problems and the performance improvement is remarkable. I know this source may be a little biased but it is all I have, I have been looking at that swap for my '69 Charger R/T. If it can handle the power I think that it would be great. Now it also says on thier website that they rebuild the trans with some of their own components for greater strength and durability. So maybe that is a good sign. I have an email that I sent today asking the same question you just asked so I will keep you posted when he replies.
Matt

------------------
Hard_ChargerR/T

'69 Charger R/T
'91 Spirit R/T
Old 01-16-2001, 06:12 AM
Inactive User

A couple months ago when I talked to them, they had just finished an installation of the tko behind a 500+ HP hemi, though I'm not sure what car it was in. You might ask them about that. Another question about the Tremecs..... Do the T5 series and the T56 share the same bolt pattern going to the bellhousing? I'm starting to research putting a viper trans in there because it's an already beefed up version of the T56 and I haven't seen too many of them breaking in vipers, plus this is going behind a smallblock in an a-body. I haven't checked prices yet, but I have seen a lot of vipers on the net which have been totaled and are being sold for parts. Maybe I'll luck out. The only other thing I think I have to worry about is shifter location, but I'll get to that when I can actually get a trans, or if I can.