Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-03-2001, 09:18 PM
Inactive User

Angry

Was reading the latest issue of Hod Rod and saw DC has cancelled the 300N and Charger. There still may be the possibility of the hemi,( since the new LH is supposed to be rear wheel drive), but I gotta think it's slim at best. So much for Chrysler adding an affordable performance vehical to the stable. What's next, the NASCAR program???

------------------
71 RR
97 SS/T

Move
Over
People
Are
Racing

[This message has been edited by road chicken (edited January 03, 2001).]
Old 01-03-2001, 09:30 PM
Inactive User

WTF is wrong with chrysler??? They still make the prowler for crying out loud, but they can't make a Charger (even if it has 4 doors) or a 300N because it will compete with mercedes...looks like the end is near I'd bet Mopar Performance development will go soon...I hate those Daimler A$$holes. Get ma Mopar away from Daddy Daimler!

------------------
Goldduster
'70 Duster 318 2bbl
http://duster.svhost.com/duster70?REC=0
The Plymouth Duster Homepage
http://duster.excelland.com?REC=0
Old 01-03-2001, 09:52 PM
Inactive User

Diamler is making all the right moves to make people like me who wanted to buy a 300N Convertable look into buying a BMW Z-3 Convertable. Sorry Diamler, I don't like the Mercedes 230SLK.
Old 01-03-2001, 10:15 PM

You have to remember that what is in the magazine is usually from about 3 or 4 months ago.

The last that I have found is that the 300N convertible has been canceled, however the hardtop is still a go. I have also heard that the Charger R/T, as we have seen it, was killed and that there is a different version (rumor has it a 2 door) that may be built. Both vehicles will still be at the same plant, on the same frame.

Rumor that I have found shows the Hemi as still being built. It will be used in the 300N, the possible redesigned Charger, The Dodge Rams, and a Special Edition Jeep Grand Cherokee.

------------------
Ed - MoPower

'96 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT CC 360 4X4
'68 Charger 383-4
'69 Coronet 500 Convertible 440-4
Old 01-03-2001, 10:39 PM

I havent seen any news about axing the Charger...This link is dated 8-16-2000
http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b081600.htm

If there is sad news to this where did you see it?

Bill
Old 01-04-2001, 12:08 AM
CrAzYMoPaRGuY !!

It would take alot more than an unsubstantiated RUMOUR to make me diss MoPars!
Old 01-04-2001, 12:17 AM
Inactive User

Hmmm, New Charger........

The Chrysler muscle car returns!
I have never bought a new car but for that one I will be the first in line!
Too bad Plymouth got the axe.
Wouldn't it be cool to bring the Road Runner back and reintroduced the original Muscle Car concept?
Low cost (reasonable cost) lightweight, stright forward performance car that the adverage person can afford.
Someone shake me, I'm dreaming out loud again!
Old 01-04-2001, 01:08 AM
CrAzYMoPaRGuY !!

Perfect scenario Dr. Righteous.

Powerful V-8. The new 353 Hemi???
Sporty 2 door body. Original Charger concept?
Low price to make it affordable.

And, of course, the Roadrunner name. (And horn)

[This message has been edited by Marc (edited January 03, 2001).]
Old 01-04-2001, 01:26 AM
Inactive User

Over the Thanksgiving holiday I had the use of a '90 something Crown Victoria. It reminded me of what we are denied by not having a well built Mopar of it's kind.

Just what is so appealing about RWD V8's anyway, and why don't most people think so?
Old 01-04-2001, 12:36 PM
Inactive User

Yes, these cars were axed this past fall at a stockholders meeting in Berlin. Since Shrimp has appointed Hahnz and Frahnz to try and "pump up" Chrysler Group sales, it remains to be seen what cuts Dieter and Wolfgang choose to make. This "restructuring" of the Chrysler Group is expected sometime in February--according to Dieter--and will be made public at that time. In a recent letter to the stockholders from DCX(mostly Europeans)they painted a rosey picture of DC and its profits and lamented the troubles with Chrysler but said not to worry they will bring the company into line soon! Ofcourse, the letter very much downplayed all the lawsuits by "the Americans" and declared they were without "merit". IMO, there will be swift cuts and there will be gradual cuts--but there WILL be cuts! Oh, yeah! Plenty of cuts!
Old 01-04-2001, 03:40 PM
Inactive User

Don't count your chickens before there hatched!
Whatever has been cut can easily be reinstated. Especially if it's that far along in testing, chances are good that they'll return. Nothing is set in stone.
Old 01-04-2001, 05:31 PM
Inactive User

At this point all of this is RUMOR and nothing more. I would have a hard time beliveing that Daimler would cut the new products just because of cost etc. They would be basically cutting off their nose to spite their face. New and innovative products are their lifeline so don't believe everything you read.

The new Hemi (353) is going to be the NASCAR motor and will go into the Ram Turck.

[This message has been edited by Dart (edited January 04, 2001).]
Old 01-04-2001, 07:26 PM
Inactive User

Well DC said because of slumping sales, 2 Billion needs to be cut from the budget. Since mopar isn't selling a huge amount of cars, I would think that is where the cuts would hit first. Besides, do any of you really think that MB is going to let a little American company go into direct competition with them. An entry level Merc is about 30K. I think thats where your going to see the cutoff point. I hope The Hot Rod artical is wrong, or that something changes back. But after working for a German owned/run company for 4 yrs, I ain't holding my breath.

[This message has been edited by road chicken (edited January 04, 2001).]
Old 01-05-2001, 12:34 AM
Inactive User

If Daimler is thinking about dumping Chrysler (this has made the rounds in the Wall Street Journal and other respected business pubs) then they are not going to sink more money into R&D for the Charger or anything else that is still a "concept". The Prowler and 'Cruiser were both concieved prior to DB taking over the company so those products were allowed to go through. If they do plan on keeping the company they will naturally be sensitive to competing products, but I have a hard time seeing where this ties in since 'Benz appeals to a completely different demographic than Chrysler/Dodge (even for their entry level vehicles).
Old 01-05-2001, 02:34 AM
Inactive User

Your right about the buyers. I was talking about technology. Things like auto recognition security systems, or multiplexed systems that control vehical functions via a single wire. Now normally this would happen anyway if MB would think of, and develop it first. But Chrysler was no slouch either. They may not have executed it well sometimes, but the innovation was always there just the same. DC is not going to let that happen.If its cool and new it's on the MB FIRST. THAT ticks me off! I don't like the idea of second best, is the best you'll ever do.Personally, I don't think the Merc's are all that anyway, especially for the price. Nice car, don't get me wrong. But not that nice. Hard to tell which demographic group I'm in, hey?

[This message has been edited by road chicken (edited January 04, 2001).]
Old 01-05-2001, 10:47 AM
Inactive User

Dart and Charger--Believe me it cuts to the bone to see this happen to our beloved Chrysler Corporation. You are right everything is just speculation right now. But theres been some cloak and dagger perpetrated by Stuttgart--namely Jergens Shrimp(yeah he smells REAL fishy!!) So, as has been reported in the Detroit News www.detnews.com the new boss CEO Dieter Zetsche is expected to make an announcement in february on his plans for the "Chrysler Group".
Old 01-17-2001, 05:04 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

Hey guys Check out the lates Motor Trend
Its a new Concept Car with A v-6 but REAR WHEEL DRIVE and its for $27,000 Which may mean affordable. ANd its kinda cool to boot even if it reminds me of a mercedes

I will get the article scanned and so you can see more

Christian

------------------
Http://ThunderRacing.Knudstrup.net/

68 'Cuda 383 Best of 8.363@83.78 in the 1/8mile which is a mid 12 with a 1.89 60ft
Formula S recreation not original but making like they should have at the factory) Working on adding EFI
69 'Cuda Race Parts Car
76 Duster 273 recent transplant
95 Neon 2.0 SOHC best of 16.96
84 Dodge Ram D50 transplanting 360