Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-12-2001, 09:05 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

I have a 440, 4 speed and 8¾ w/3.91 sure grip in my '68 GTX. I am not modifying it much. I am going to be installing a 6 pack, or I guess I should say 6 barrel since it is a Plymouth this spring. I am also adding the "air grabber" fresh air system from a '69 to get air to the carbs. I am going to use this as mostly a weekend cruiser, with an occasional jaunt down the ¼ mile. I want something that has good performance and good throttle response. I was thinking about putting NOS Exhaust tips on it, but see they are only 2" Inlet. Is a 2" dual exhaust adequate? Or should I go 2½" or even 3". I know bigger is usually better, but the cost for the bigger systems can be a lot. I want to weigh value added for the systems. Being as I am not trying to break any land speed records, what, in all your guys' opinion would be the best bang for the buck. It has a really small exhaust system on it now, not sure maybe 1¾" and headers I believe, but haven't really checked it that closely. I just bought it in Novemeber, and it is currently in a storage unit. Check the pics in my signature if you want to see anything in particular.

Thanks,
Craig

------------------
Click on the highlighted parts for pics of each vehicle...

Mopar Vehicle #1
2001 Quad Cab 2500HD 4x4
Sport- Short Bed - Forest green Pearl
24V Cummins, auto, SLT Plus Package, with absolutely every other option available. (When paying this much for a truck, might as well get it with everything!)
Additions:
305/70R16 Cooper Discoverer AT tires, Grizzly Double Bend Chrome Side Bars, Catch-All Floor Mats, Avital Remote Starter, DC Mudflaps, K&N Air Filter in stock airbox, Turbo Silencer Ring removed, Super White headlamp bulbs
>>No Engine Mods...Yet<<

Mopar Vehicle #2
1978 Dodge Ram W150 4x4
Originally a Reg. cab long bed with a 400. Bought it with a 440 in it. Now is a Club Cab convertible with a StepSide bed (nice new wooden floor).
Project not entirely complete, but is driveable and is a real head turner!

AND... Now Mopar Vehicle #3 (as of Nov. '00)
1968 Plymouth GTX
440, 4 speed
B5 Blue, Black buckets, console, no A/C, no PB, no PS, just Power - MOPOWER!!!
Needs just a little TLC

[This message has been edited by dodge_em (edited January 17, 200
Old 01-12-2001, 09:13 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

I'd go with 2 1/2. I paid $300 for duals with H pipe on mine. I think that's a reasonable price. They will try to charge more but most can be bargained with. MufflerMan did mine. Then found out he's a Mopar Freak too,
Now I know the guy and It'd cost me nothing! (I should have waited)
Old 01-13-2001, 03:40 AM
Inactive User

21/2" should be large enough, the cork will be the tips. Since factory tips look best, here's what I did. Drill a 11/2" to 2" hole in the underside of each tailpipe a couple of inches ahead of the tip. The artificial "leak" you created will be like having bigger exhaust outlets, and no one will be aware of the modification. (unless you tell them}!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2001, 06:54 AM
Inactive User

Dude this is a car that needs to be able to go back to show room! It has a lot of potential. It looks like it hasn't been hacked up and is pretty much intact. This car must of been quite a find! Where is the smiley face that shows jealousy??? And four speed?
Old 01-17-2001, 06:45 PM

Thumbs up

Nice friggn' car dude! The bolt on exhaust systems put out by TTI have proven themselves twice in friends BB Mopars. Both went with the 3" system and purchased exact duplicate chrome tips with 3" inlets from Mancini Racing. Since you mentioned throttle response, I'd go with a 2 1/2" pipe. The cars with the big pipe were a little sluggish around town, but high RPM horsepower was way up.

A little pricy but when all is said and done you'll have a nice stainless, mandrel bent system with correct tips that will adapt itself to future mods. Best of luck.-Mike

------------------
Stoplight action in a street fightin' '85 M-body 360ci. or '68 Hemi GTX 4spd.