Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Durango Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-20-2001, 04:56 AM
Inactive User

Default Header Install Prices

Howdy All:

HELP! I've been callin around, trying to find a shop to install my headers. What I'm hearin is, Time & Labor, Cool, sounds fair. Then they add, there's no time for it in the book, so their not sure how long. Not a good sign. Hmm, install many headers?

Then, they say it'll take 6 hrs, 8 hrs. 2 F'n DAYS!!!!!!! Oh no, I can't have #3 down for 2 days! $400 to install a set of headers, and that's with me already havin the headers? Naw, it don't sound right to me. Does it sound right? Is that what it's goin for these days? GEEEEZ!

Thanks In Advance
Ugg
Old 11-20-2001, 06:46 AM
Regular Guy

I had mine installed for $250 and that was replacing the gaskets which I burned out after not getting them tightened enough when I installed them plus welding the old Y-pipe back together..I had cut it to separate the old manifolds.

It shouldn't take them more than 6 hours since your exhuast hasn't reached the "fused for life" stage an older vehicle would be at.
Old 11-20-2001, 07:45 AM
Inactive User

Default HEADERS

I paid 300 bucks for mine to be installed using the factory y-pipe which bent during usage. The process took aroung 5 hrs
Old 11-20-2001, 10:08 AM
Inactive User

Hey Guys:

Tank you berry berry much. On my (sniff)99(sniff), I not only had the headers installed, but a muffler too. It only cost me $200. Unfortunately, he won't do headers anymore. Mine was the 1st and, also the last set he did. So much for him. It was a buddys shop, that I had gone to for years.

Well, keep that info coming in.
Ugg
Old 11-20-2001, 03:20 PM

Unhappy Pretty Expensive...

You should be able to find someone to put them on for not more than $200. It's definitely less than a days work and believe me $200 is a good days work. My buddy put his on himself, took about 4-5 hours total. Leftside went on very easy, but rightside took the most time by far, 3-4 hours. Don't know why, I think that he had probem getting it tightened to the Y-pipe. Maybe he should of left the leftside loose until everything is in place, don't know. I think there are several post on header installation if you care to research and do install yourself. Just think of the feeling of accomplishment
Old 11-20-2001, 04:01 PM
Inactive User

Pepper:

Them days are long gone. 4.5 years ago. The Doc's don't want me to do that sort of thing (or anything for that matter ) anymore. To tell the truth, I don't feel up to the job. Tangling with a bus does that to ya. But Pepper, much thanks for the info. I figured these guys were blowing smoke.

I found a shop that'll do the job, as long as they don't have to bend any pipes (don't have the machine for it). I decided to hell with calling to muffler shops, and started to call Speed Shops. They've installed headers before. I don't want to pay a guy to further his education. Not and pay full price too. Hells Bells man, I had to pay for my own education, and it cost too.

The guy quoted me around the price you did. Same about the time. I helped when we installed the headers on my (sniff) 99 (sniff). It took 6 hours, not knowing anything (I stopped playing with cars after the 72's), all the computer stuff bugs me. So Thanks again for the info.

Keep it comin.
Ugg