Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-18-2001, 11:00 PM
Inactive User

is it possible to put coil over socks on a car that had torsion bars. I want to get rid of torsion bars, but dont want to chang A-arms to put coils in. The torsion bar adjusting bar to raise the car doesnt work for some reason now.
mitch
Old 01-19-2001, 12:21 AM
Inactive User

Theoreticaly, yes you can, but it wont live. The shock tower was never intended to carry the weight of the car and it will crack and break.
Old 01-19-2001, 12:30 AM
Big Tuna

Question

I bet the mount has broken out of the K-frame. This is pretty common in A-bodies. Just find a different K-frame and change it. Dennis
Old 01-19-2001, 01:24 AM
Inactive User

Do you mean broken in the crossrail where the back end of the t-bar sits? That happened to me while driving. I thought somebody had run into me for a second. I didn't know what had happened till I got home and look around under the car.

Stick your head under the car in front of the rear wheels, look towards the front and see if the place where the t-bars connect has rusted and broken through. You can get these rewelded and I think someone (MP?)even sells a kit to do it.

If you just can't seem to raise the car high enough on one side but have some adjustablilty you might have the bars swapped right-left. They are different!

Old 01-19-2001, 04:20 AM

Cool

I have been pondering that same question,here are my thoughts.To carry the weight,the standard shock tower mount will have to be totally replaced with something stouter,either robbed from another manufactors car out of junkyard or something you fab yourself.Next the lower shock mount will also need to be replaced,modified or whatever it takes.After this is done,will it have worth the effort,you will still have a rear steer car.Which means threw headers and hard to change starters,plus the heavy ass k-frame.What i'd like to do with my duster is go junkyard'en and see what i could fit up front that would be alot lighter and front steer,hot damn that would be nice.Imagine all that room,no steering or t-bars in the way.
Old 01-19-2001, 06:13 AM
Inactive User

Go to www.bigblockdart.com. E-mail Bill Reilly. He is doing this to his car now, and he came up with some economical approcah. If you want to spend the money, go to www.magnumforce.com. They have the kits to do this.