Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-22-2001, 07:26 PM
Inactive User

Question Mopar Interceptors

I already posted this in Ram Trucks but someone suggested that I might get some help here too...

A buddy has offered to sell me a 78 Gran Fury. It was a Texas Ranger car (cops, not baseball players) and is supposed to be in good running condition except for a broken frame.

Couple questions: confused:

What is the difference between interceptors and regular engines?

Is $400 a fair price for the whole car, even though I am really only interested in the engine?

Is this a good find or would building up just any old 360 be as good?

What kind of casting numbers should I be looking for? Where are they? Sorry to be dumb but I am an old Chevy guy, getting real excited about Mopar!

Thanks,:
Old 11-22-2001, 08:28 PM
Inactive User

I'm guessing this is a 360?? You didn't say. 440's were also avalible in 78.If it is a 360,the cam and springs are about the only difference and it should have a windage tray.Cost wise,it has no advantage over a standard 360.
Old 11-22-2001, 09:05 PM
Inactive User

Cool police package cars

It could easily be equiped with a 440. I had a '77 Fury Police package car. It was equiped with a heavy duty cooling package, radiator, trans cooler, high speed AC cutout, the 440 had I believe a magnum cam but I can't be 100% sure, duel exhaust with 4 cats. Duel snorkel air cleaner with cold air induction, 100 amp altenator. The trans was a hp 727 with high upshift governor. Heavy duty disc brakes, heavy duty suspension package, 6 ply Goodyear Flexten Police radials, 9-1/4 rear end w/ 2.92 gears. Speedometer was a 140 mph certified head with certificate guarenteeing accuracy up to 100mph.
I wasn't satisfied with the performance so I installed 1-3/4 headers and 2-1/2 duels with turbo mufflers and H-pipe. Also a 284-484 MP cam, recurved the distributor, and jetted the carb.
Performance- 14.75-1/4 (smoked the tires all the way though 1st gear). Top end 140++, the thing rode nicer at 100 than at 55.
Added bonus, never ever got a speeding ticket. Every time I met a cop they just waved. It was one of the funest cars I ever owned.
Old 11-23-2001, 01:03 AM
Inactive User

Very sorry, I edited my post from Ram Trucks and that was the part with "360" in it. Now I haven't seen the car yet so I do not know for sure, it may in fact be a 440. Sounds like a deal I should not pass up. Thanks for the info, I am still hungry though. What is a good resource for mopar motor information?
Old 11-23-2001, 04:18 PM
Inactive User

If it is a small block it also has a double roller timing chain.

In my opinion is what make the cop cars really neat is all the other goodies that it comes with. Firm feel power steering box is worth grabbing, they had the biggest brakes, rear sway bars, hd alternators, sure gripsb etc.

I guess my point is don't just grab the engine if you buy the car!
Old 11-24-2001, 01:12 AM
Inactive User

Default ME TOO

I also have a Gran Fury but mine is 1977 and unless its been reconditioned it was never a police car...

But it does have a 360 and a hell of a 360 it is... the only bad thing about the car is it's weight: 5200; lbs actually a little more but I can't rember the exact number.

The car gets about 14 mpg on a good day and has a top speed of 122 mph... cop clocked me... woowwee... good thing he was in a good mood... gave me a warning.... couldn't belive it... I think i'll go to the track if I do that again.

MY advice on the issue buy the car... I paid 500 for mine... if its in good condition and has all the police upgrades...hell if you don't want it tell me where he is
Old 11-30-2001, 05:01 PM
Inactive User

I finnally went and checked out the car. It was a little disapointing. It is a 77and the only cop car enhancement it seems to have is a certified speedometer. The engine is a 360 2bbl and according to the vin number is not the high performance police engine. The engine and trans are there and supposed to be sound but the rest of the car is a heap of rust. Non of the doors would open and I had to climb through the back broken glass to pop the hood. I still have not been able to get at the casting numbers but with the 2bbl carb I am not holding out any hope for goodies within the motor. I do not think I want to pay $400 for 180k+ engine, trans, and junk. I am still interested, what do you guys think is a good price? I think I will call around junk yards and see what a decent 360 for rebuild is going for.
Old 11-30-2001, 07:16 PM
Inactive User

Here in Orygun you can get a rebuildable 360, carb to pan with exhaust manifolds, for between $75 and $150, depending on how junky it is. Wrecking yards here guarantee rebuild ability or they'll give you another engine or your money back. ....from Doug

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!