Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-16-2001, 08:59 AM
Inactive User

hi, i have a 95 grand cherokee with a 5.2 V8 and i was wondering what kind of setup should i get to maximize engine performance? should i go intercooled turbo or supercharger? if so, what kind? dunno much about aftermarket parts, but i am looking for 400 hp and 400 tq. thanks.
Old 01-16-2001, 02:18 PM

In my opinion, the cheapest way to get those kinds of numbers out of your cherokee is either a supercharger, NOS or both! That is a lot of power from a magnum 318. There is no cheap way to make that much power. Plan on spending $3500-$5000 depending on how reliable you want the engine to be.
Old 01-16-2001, 02:50 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Fastdak is right on being that a 318 is a little small for that power level. A S-charger is an easy bolt on. There are secral companys that will have a kit to unbox and bolt on. Some even have intercooler kits as well.
The turbo will have to have a bit of custom work to it. (plumbing the pipes) This can be expensive.
Both will do wonders for power. Many will debate the 2 of them till your head is spinning.
No matter witch one you chose, the bottom will have to be real strong. Chose a mild cam , use headers and port your heads. Click here: Vortech Engineering - Carbureted Applications

Click here: Get Blown & Intercooled With SD Concept Engineering, Inc.
Hope these guys can help.
Old 01-17-2001, 06:30 PM
Violent J

For the life of me i just cant understand why anyone would want to hot rod up their Cherokee...just remember , if u do this, you wont be able to tow with it anymore, gas mileage will suck, warranty issues will be a hassle, resale will go down the dumper.....heres my outlook, from another post on this board....this speaks from true experience on my pare...i hope it helps you make an informed decision...

(copy from diffrent post on this same board)

Well...let me give u my take on this souping up a new truck issue....I had this same idea...looked good...could hot rod the truck i already had, wifey wouldnt be too pissy with me for wanting a 3 rd car(hotrod). So...i did my reasearch, got a Vortech Kit...put SS headers on it, dual exhaust...Mopar Perf. Computer...well...whew, got it all runnin...sounds cool...spent alot of $$$(3300 for vortech...400,headers...250,computer...change rear gears 650..etc...)took it to the track...well, ready, let errip....mmmmm fast...ran a best of 17.02....what a POS...jezzus i was pissed....well...i finally got hold of some guys with the same setup as me...turns out they did the heads, big cam, roller rockers...cant remember if they did the converter...well, shit..this was looking to be way more money...all for a pig truck that still would hardly run 14.0.
My point...keep your truck stock...maybe jazz it up to your liking with accessories that make it look the way u want...but for get trying to make it fast...just go buy a beater duster...and work that up..dosent matter if its a 318 duster or 360 duster...youll be way far ahead if u use your truck to tow it to the track with, than racing the truck up....I sold the Vortech...went and got a nice 440 Cuda(1970)working on getting it into the 11's as we speak(currently runs 12.3)all for way less $$$ than a new truck(20,000 to 30,000) with the hotrod junk put on it(5,000 to 8,000)....just think about what youre trying to do before you do it....

Old 01-17-2001, 07:58 PM

Cdingition is right in the respect that It's hard to make a later model magnum 318 run that hard. I'm currently in the 14s looking for high 13s on a naturally aspirated engine and let me tell you....IT AIN'T EASY!!!! It cost lost of money for what you get.
Old 01-17-2001, 10:01 PM
Inactive User

cdignition- I have to disagree with you. One of our members runs a cherokee that runs 12 second quarters with a magnum 360 with a blower. You have to tune your combination weather it is a 70 440 cuda or a 2001 ram. I dont know if you have a 3/4 ton long bed quad cab with a 318 but STOCK SST rams run 15 second quarters. You cant just slap parts on and expect to go fast.
Old 01-17-2001, 10:45 PM

I have seen blown 360s fly!!! I don't think that that's the question. This thread started with how to get 400HP/400TQ out of a 318. You definately have to tune your vehicle for top performance, but it takes more cash to work a 318 than a 360 to get those numbers. 400-450HP is about the most power I would try to get out of the 318. Even at that, it doesn't make it much of a daily driver. The bottom line is if you have the cash and know-how, you can make just about anything fast. However, most of us are short on that kind of cash and always reaching for a little more know-how!!!!
Old 01-17-2001, 11:28 PM
Violent J

JD Quoted.................................
cdignition- I have to disagree with you. One of our members runs a cherokee that runs 12 second quarters with a magnum 360 with a blower.

Ok....lets do this...lets spend equal amounts of money...lets say 30,000.00..

you buy a new 360 cherokee...with all the stuff u can get for it..intercooler, turbo/supercharger, etc....and ill buy a big block e body...and ill do everything to my combo with this same amount of $$$ guaranteed ill run high 9's or at worst low 10,s...and youll run probably a high 12....seems to me the answer is obvious....

Also..diffrent scenario....let me run a blower on my 440 powered Cuda...hehe want to go?....ill be runnin low 10's all day long, and driving home from the track to boot...no trailer queens here...(or race trailer hotrods)...still into it for less money than just the Truck,,,with no mods yet.

Old 01-18-2001, 05:04 AM
Inactive User

I don't know if the information that has been posted has helped you, and I must apologize for wasting firstgenGcherokeev8 post. The question that a person posts is to gather information to help make a decision. I don't believe it is for the people to respond with negative response to someone elses reply. If someone said they tried something and it did or did not work then that's what the person that posts the question is looking for. Someone that has had some experience that pertains to the original post question is good information. If you don't agree with someones opinion you should find a different place to express it. This question that firstgen asks pertains to a 318 jeep. I don't think he wants to hear stuff that does not pertain to his question. If cdignition says he tried to make his truck go fast and it didn't work and he thinks it was a waste of money I believe him. If Jd says he has seen 318 jeeps run 13's I believe him. I don't disagree with either of them. If I did I wouldn't say it, I would just give an opinion that would help firstgen, not cut someone down that took the time to post a reply. I think we have lost focus on what this forum is about. It's not about our ego, it's to help, not mock, cut, or slam someones answer. Again I apologize to firstgen for me wasting his space in this forum.

------------------
Old 01-18-2001, 05:04 AM
Inactive User

I don't know if the information that has been posted has helped you, and I must apologize for wasting firstgenGcherokeev8 post. The question that a person posts is to gather information to help make a decision. I don't believe it is for the people to respond with negative response to someone elses reply. If someone said they tried something and it did or did not work then that's what the person that posts the question is looking for. Someone that has had some experience that pertains to the original post question is good information. If you don't agree with someones opinion you should find a different place to express it. This question that firstgen asks pertains to a 318 jeep. I don't think he wants to hear stuff that does not pertain to his question. If cdignition says he tried to make his truck go fast and it didn't work and he thinks it was a waste of money I believe him. If Jd says he has seen 318 jeeps run 13's I believe him. I don't disagree with either of them. If I did I wouldn't say it, I would just give an opinion that would help firstgen, not cut someone down that took the time to post a reply. I think we have lost focus on what this forum is about. It's not about our ego, it's to help, not mock, cut, or slam someones answer. Again I apologize to firstgen for me wasting his space in this forum.

------------------
Old 01-18-2001, 05:03 PM

Thumbs up

Warren J, lighten up man! Nothing has been wasted here. There are often sub discussions in threads on the boards, and it all goes to making it what it is.

OK so its a magnum 318 buildup you want:

#1 Exhaust
Shorty headers (gibson, jba, thorleys)
Y-pipe (jba, thorley)-factory Y pipe is too restrictive
High Flow Cat/no cat (dynomax, magnaflow)-cat is restrictive, go with high flow or no cat.
Cat-back exhaust -your choice (I prefer flowmaster)

Try running 3" pipes.

#2 Intake
Supercharger (powerdyne, paxton)
Performance TB (quick d, magnum perf.)

#3 Ignition
MSD with timing retard
Performance plug wires (taylor, MSD)

#4 Engine
Port heads and clean bowls.
Port match intake to heads, open up end of the runners.
Roller rockers/vavle train upgrade(springs, pushrods, ect) -crower, MP, crane
Camshaft- custom grind for blowers (comp cams, crower, crane)
Check bearings,rods and pistons for good conditions.

#5 Engine Controller/Fuel injection
Custom flashed PCM for supercharger
24lbs. injectors for extra flow
adjustable fuel regulator

#6 Transmission/rear
Trans-go shift kit
2500 Stall converter
Posi unit (auburn, detroit)

possible swap to a 9 1/4 rear

This should give you 400+HP from your magnum 318 and make you one bad man! Forgive me if I left anything out of the buildup. Good luck on your Jeep!

Old 01-18-2001, 09:59 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

SUB-DISCUSION

Warren J has a point. CDIgnit. kind of came on with a hammer with the ans. given. For those of you that have read CD Ignit.'s passed response's, it was a little heavyhanded on the side of ( although I don't think he was yelling or meant it hard)"Don't waste your time with it".
CD Igni. has allways given a good response.
I agree it would be a hard thing to do out of a small eng. , not impossible, but hard.
Hes also right about the 440 CUDA kickin ass allday, but thats a 440 to a 318. Who's kidding who. Theres a lot of cubes there in a fish's favor.
True , the 318 also might have "Streetablity issues". It's only 1.26 HP/per cid. A 440 @ 1.26 is 554hp. Not that hard for the 440. It's just the 318 lacks the stroke for torque for a good street ride.
Not to mention the weight of the jeep. At least it has the benift of a lower 1st gear and overdrive. Maybe even 4 wheeldrive. Also, who's to say 1stgenGchero.V8 dosn't have or care about the money. He could have millions for you know. And if he decicdes to spend a ton or meet a bugget, on the cheap. This is what he wants to do.
The expense of the JEEP is and should not be of issue. He allready has it. Whats the diff. You got what ya got and go from there. Who cares !? If he came to us with a 318 power VW bug or a viper eng. in a YUGO, it would still be the same. "How do I go fast?"
It still needs to answered.

'For the life of me i just cant understand why anyone would want to hot rod up their Cherokee...:
I can't understand why anybody would hop up a 4cyl. in a Honda or Mitstu., but they do anyway.
LOL, I have seen Lawn mower trackers for so & so house race! Why I would do it? , I don't know. But it looked like fun. ( My Sears will kick the crap out of your John Deer !! LOL, ROFLMAO!!!, HEY, What ever your in to! )
And what about the Briggs and Stratton Jr. dragsters. Thats not a waste? For some YES & for some NO.
(This reply was not ment to trash, as I have been acussed of in the passed. Just want to call to attention of the people who read and ans. that were are here to help. Not trash, And no I don't think CD Ignition trashed anybody.)
Old 01-19-2001, 03:01 PM
Violent J

Well, lets just say i did not mean to sound heavy handed or mean...im just speaking matter of factly, and looking to spread the truth about the sham that Vortech and others sell to unsuspecting people trying to make their truck run...i learned the hard way.....my truck is a 96 Ram ,318 motor short bed.

Heres what i would do(and i might still do someday)if you want your truck to run good....forget all this supercharger/nitrous buisness....if youre looking on getting a custom flashed computer with your supercharger..forget the supercharger, spend that 3600 bucks on a 360 crate motor from MP. youll get 380 to 400 hp from it...install the fuel injectors on the M1 manifold and get the computer flashed to run with this setup....for even better tuned performance, run bigger injectors, run a bigger Throttle body,...quite a few options here....

Old 01-19-2001, 08:59 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Now thats sounds like a real good start! These eng's have been known to dyno over 400HP. A few minor mods should be the magic touch to give it that extra wallop!!
Hey CD Ignit. Where do you get a computer thats custom flashed? Also, what do they run in $$$?
Old 01-19-2001, 11:15 PM
Violent J

Hi...Im not up to speed as to where to get a computer flashed...I do know guys were having it done when i got the Vortech on my truck...it is possible the dealer could do it(if u had a good one...) i think they just put the parameters in you want, then upload it to the chip in the truck....best place to look is in the Vortech type newsgroups...talk to some Pro 5.0 guys...they might be able to steer you in the right direction....
Old 01-20-2001, 03:28 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

WOW!, this could open up a new can of worms now couldn't it?

Do's anybody out there know how this is done or where for how much?
Old 07-31-2006, 01:36 AM
Inactive User

First Gen,
I have a 1999 Dakota 360ci 4150lbs , SD Concept Aluminum Heads,
SD Concept Pro Charger, Mopar M1 Intake,
FAST computer System,Injectors,Eagle Rods,CP pistons,
Hugh's throttle body,SX fuel pump. 500 rwhp 550 torque, 11.79 @ 118mph
Hope this helps you out.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:58 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

WoW! Dude, your moving alot of weight preety quick there. Nice!