Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-24-2001, 02:45 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down Michigan Bill Threatens Project Vehicles, Daily Drivers

Got this in my SEMA monthly newsletter - and if it happens here . . . your State could be next !!!

Check this crap out:

A bill (S.B. 631) has been introduced in the Michigan legislature that would prohibit hobbyists from storing damaged vehicles on private property. Under the bill, if a hobbyist fails to comply with a court order to remove the vehicle(s), he or she can be fined up to $1000 and sentenced to six months in jail!

We Urge You to Contact Your State Legislators to Oppose This Bill

· S.B. 631 deems a damaged vehicle to be “litter” for the purpose of removal, regardless of whether or not the vehicle is out of public view.

· S.B. 631 includes any motor vehicle that is “damaged, deteriorated, or in a condition such that the item cannot be used for the purpose for which the item was manufactured.”

· S.B. 631 would permit citizens, as well as government officials, to seek a court order to compel hobbyists to remove project vehicles from their own property.

· S.B. 631 would allow individuals to bring civil actions against hobbyists for maintaining project vehicles and to collect damages, attorney fees and costs.

· S.B. 631 would make it difficult for hobbyists to work on collector
vehicles on private property.

· S.B. 631 demonstrates a lack of understanding of the vehicle hobby and the rights of hobbyists.

Contact your state legislators and oppose this legislation. This bill
tramples on the rights of vehicle enthusiasts in Michigan. If you need assistance in determining who your legislators are, please contact the Michigan Legislature’s General Information line: 517/373-0170. This information can also be obtained by calling the SEMA Washington, D.C. office at 202/783-6007 or via the Internet at
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/legisla...egislator.asp.

Please fax a copy of your letters to us at 202/783-6024 or mail to:

SEMA Washington Office
1317 F Street, NW, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20004
Attention: Steve McDonald/Brian Caudill

need a little help
Old 11-24-2001, 09:10 PM
Inactive User

Man that is some F***ed up shit! They better not do nothing like that in Cali. We (my dad mainly) have a shop with a few old a bodies, a 32 dodge panel, and one fo his friends projects in a barn/shop. Man that would hella suck for us...hell for anyone.
Old 11-24-2001, 10:23 PM
Inactive User

So, according to that, I no longer (in Michigan anyway) have the right to express myself in a fast and furious manner or have the right to save money by fixing things myself, which also leads to price gouging and inflated hikes in auto repair bills. All of this comes to the death of homemade dragsters ( which I believe is where they started) and limiting the "hobby" to those who make more than 3 figure incomes per year. Is that right, if it passes? Tel them they can KISS MY---!! Gotta catch me first!
Old 11-24-2001, 11:22 PM
Inactive User

The bill is a mis-guided attempt aimed at "eyesore" properties. What kills me is that you cant have a car sitting outside but you can have a camper, boat, motorhome or home appliances sitting out in public view and thats ok(?)

My Matco Tool dealer got a ticket for having a commercial vehicle (his tool truck) parked in his driveway while his neighbor leaves a motorhome covered with a blue tarp sitting next to his garage and nobody says a thing. I just hope the good people of Michigan care enough to put a stop to it.
Old 11-25-2001, 03:08 AM

This is a serious threat to our rights and freedoms. Think about it, anyone can come on your property and tell you what you can or can not do with it. This isn't right, and I hope the people of Michigan can defeat this bill. If they don't, it'll show up again, in another state, then another. Once they start taking our rights away, they'll just keep taking more and more until they take them all. You just thought you owned that car or truck or property when you put your money down, but guess again....
Old 11-25-2001, 01:16 PM
Inactive User

Everyone in Michigan needs to help fight this. They already made it illegal to sell a car without the original engine. Now they are going to make us more hardened criminals.
Old 11-25-2001, 05:25 PM

they had a bill like this in California that just got rejected. it said that they were going to crush any cars that were 1974 and older, and in turn if you brought one to crush, they would give you a voucher towards the purchase of a new car. the goal of the bill was to reduce smog in the state since these cars are old and smoke when not taken care of properly. It was later found that majorly low income people that have old cars are the ones that smoke and even with a voucher would not be able to afford a new car. It was also found a majority of the cars were not driven regurarly. So the bill was squashed. I hope they invistigate this bill in michigan as well.