Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-24-2001, 10:50 PM
Inactive User

Default Electric Choke

Hey there,

I broke down and bought a Holley Street Avenger 770 cfm this week and I was just going over the instructions for connecting the electric choke. My car did not have an electric choke originally so i have to splice it into something. The instructions say that i need a 12 volt power source that is on in the run position. They said in bold to not connect it to any of the ignition equipment. I have a new wiring harness with a spliced in electronic ignition and I noticed on the wiring diagram from my shop manual that there is a blue wire from the alternator that was connected to a solenoid on the distributor. Since there is no solenoid because of the electronic ignition I was wondering if i can use this for the choke, or is this still connected to the ignition? What have you guys done for your electric chokes?
Old 11-24-2001, 11:35 PM
Inactive User

I added a wire to the harness. It connects to a lug on the fuseblock that only powers up with the key in the on position. I ran the wire through the firewall using the same hole that the Air Grabber cable goes through. Just make sure you have a grommet where the wiring passes through sheetmetal so you don't have any accidental shorts.
Old 11-25-2001, 12:59 AM
Inactive User

same here! I think its the best place to wire it!
Old 11-25-2001, 01:21 PM
Inactive User

I connected to the input side of the ballast resistor. It works fine for me. You have to be sure not to use the coil power as it is not 12 volts (I believe that it is 6 volts).

To find the input side turn the ignition on and disconnect one wire and see if the ballast still has power. If it does the one still connected is the input, if it doesn't the one you disconnected does.

The important thing to remember is you need 12 Volts input. This should be the same voltage as the battery. Always verify the wire you connect to has battery voltage usually 12.6 - 15.0 volts.