Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Durango Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-26-2001, 08:30 AM
Inactive User

Question New to group with 2k Durango R/T question

Hello all,

I recently purchased a used 2000 R/T with 9k miles and I absolutely love this truck. The only thing that is bothering me is this "howling" noise that comes on around 40mph and starts to get drowned out by the 5.9L engine at about 55mph. It kind of sounds like when you blow across the opening of a jug. It seems to be most prevailant at 45mph, when I am applying just enough gas to maintain speed, and goes away as soon as I take my foot off of the gas.

I took her to the Dodge dealer, and they claim that it is the tuned exhaust. Anybody else have this noise? I want to be sure that they aren't just saying that it is normal to lighten the warranty work load.

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2001, 11:02 AM
Inactive User

Sure sounds like tire noise to me. 9K miles seems far too few for there to be problems with the bearings.
Old 11-26-2001, 11:42 AM
Inactive User

Default Would have been my guess, but

the noise goes away instantly when I take my foot off of the gas pedal, tire noise would remain and start to trail off as the truck slowed down.
Old 11-26-2001, 08:34 PM
Banned

Biggrin Blue27 welcome to mopar chat

Blue27 the tires on the Ds are loud and they are cheap tires. check the air press. in them.
thanks cmyindy
Old 11-27-2001, 12:40 AM
Inactive User

Howdy Blue:

Welcome. You really think that a dealer would blow smoke up your butt? A Dodge dealer? Blow smoke? Really? You doubting Thomas, you. Tuned exhaust? Hmm. You have an 00 R/T, so you still have the performance PCM. I have an 01 R/T, without it. It could very well be, but like the tire noise, you'd hear some kinda build-up to that point. Do ya?

Different tones can do wild things. Check it out. Also, post a picture of your rig.

Later & Welcome
Ugg
Old 11-27-2001, 09:17 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb PCM?

Hey Ugg,

I am 100% certain that it isn't my tires, as there isn't any build up in noise - and the noise goes instantly away (the split second that I take my foot off of the gas). It also goes away if I throw it in Neutral at this speed.

Your idea on the PCM is intriguing, I will have to ask the dealer about that one. Just for grins, I made an appointment at a competing Dodge dealer, telling them that the other dealer claims it to be normal. The mechanic on duty said that he has heard this coming from Dakotas, but not from a D. I will be bringing her in on Thursday after work.

Also, I am way late on getting pix of my D to post here. Will definitely get some out soon for all to see!

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-27-2001, 10:26 AM
Inactive User

Blue:

Quote:
It also goes away if I throw it in Neutral at this speed.
Hmmm. Doesn't sound to cool. It may be in your tranny. Good thing that it's still under warranty. Good luck with your appointment. Keep us posted.

Later
Ugg
Old 11-27-2001, 12:26 PM
Inactive User

Differential maybe? Take it to another dealer for a second opinion.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:55 PM
Inactive User

R/T:

If it was his diff, it wouldn't stop when he goes in neutral, it would be constant. That's what leads to the tranny.

Later
Ugg
Old 11-27-2001, 01:17 PM
Inactive User

Angry Frustrating

Although I wouldn't wish problems on anybody else, I had kind of hoped that someone would post with a response that it is just normal. Now I am really frustrated. Any chance it could be something in the drive shaft?
Old 11-27-2001, 01:24 PM
Inactive User

Blue:

I wish it were, but it can't be for the same reason, it's not constant. You say that it goes away when you put it in neutral. That leads it right to the tranny. It may just be a band adjustment (I hope).

Later
Ugg
Old 11-27-2001, 01:26 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy Me again, already...

I just checked out the Durango Owners Club website and saw this post:

"Now, the odd noise question! I know that some have described a vibration associated with a bearing going bad in the transmission (the TC if I remember right). I'm thinking the two (MIL and noise) may be related. With that in mind, what
exactly has been the noise associated with the bearing going south?

My noise is loud enough to be heard over the stereo at lower volumes, and actually sounds like the sound an aggressive off road tire makes as it goes down the road. Does that sound similar to the bearing thing??

Thanks,

-Chris "

This sounds a lot like my noise. Anybody have any ideas what bearing he is talking about?
Old 11-27-2001, 04:05 PM
Inactive User

Red face

BLue 27 my 2KRT does the same thing as yours. If you bring it to the attention of the dodge dealer, all of a sudden they go Deaf and can't reproduce the problem. I do have a fix for you... Turn up your radio!!!

I have mentioned it to my dealer many times and they always say "what noise"....

Just my .02

J of Round
Old 11-27-2001, 05:03 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin Loud Radio

This is one reason that I am glad for the Infinity speakers! Actually, somewhat relieved to hear that someone else has same issue. I will keep you posted if my dealer ever gets their head out of their butt (just listen for a loud popping sound ).

Blue
Old 11-27-2001, 07:59 PM
Inactive User

Smile Problem Located!!!

I decided to take a ride to the other side of town to a Dodge Truck dealer that I have passed many times, but never stopped in to. I found the Service Manager and explained my problem and he got his Shop Foreman to go for a ride with me. This guy has apparently been doing this for about 35 years.

We spent about 15 minutes driving about town and he explains that the noise that I am hearing is the rear Ring and Pinion. Apparently it is fairly obvious since it only happens under load. To make a long story short, my D is going into the shop for two days next week to have the rear end disassembled and fixed (under warranty). I am so psyched that it wasn't just a normal noise!

Blue
Old 11-27-2001, 08:06 PM
Regular Guy

Have'em throw some 4.10s in that bad boy
Old 11-28-2001, 12:19 PM
Inactive User

Default Ugg

Ring and Pinion, huh? Sounds like a DIFF to me Ugg! Must be all those dogs a barking, making you crazy man! *LOL* Anyway, glad that someone was able to find the problem (second opinion idea worked out pretty well too, huh Ugg???? ) , and as they are going to have the rear-end apart, why not have them install one of those neat aluminum diff covers? They look nice, are a little lighter and are stronger.....
Old 11-28-2001, 06:25 PM
Inactive User

R/T:

I STILL THINK IT"S A TRANNY PROBLEM. I had ring and pinion problems with my Buick (1967 SkyLark GS 400) on a regular basis. To many jack rabbit starts. I don't remember a whine starting and stoping suddenly. There was also a vibration. So Blue, I say "Watch out", there still may be some smoke around.

I hope that the fix works, and that I'm wrong. I hate trying to find out problems that way, 1st fix this, then that, ect, ect. Ya know what they say? Everybody has opinions, and other things. I got out of the mechanics game back in "72". A whole lot has changed since then.

We just lost another one of the Critter Kids. That makes 3, in 3 months. I can't keep affording these autopsys. Also, the toxicology reports cost about a G each, and if ya don't have an idea of what your looking for, they can't tell ya what they found. You have to give the lab a target.

We're all bummed at the Ugg household. Bam Bam was going on 11. He adopted my son when he was born. He was like a baby sitter to him. If Ethan would cry, Bam'ers would go nuts and grab one of us and drag us to him. He was also one of those kissy face dogs. If, for some strange reason, ya bent over near him, forget it. You'd almost get drowned.

This would always happen, except during mating season. You NEVER bent over then, unless your into that sort of thing. YUCK. He was an excellent sire. Oh well, he's gone now. On to better things. He'll be missed too. I just don't like the fact that I lost 3 in 3 months. It don't seem right. I better get them cameras up soon.

Later
Ugg
Old 11-29-2001, 01:28 PM
Inactive User

Ugg, sorry to hear about the mutt. You think that perhaps your neighbours have something to do with it? Man, I'd donate money to the cause to find out if it were true (radiator fluid or what have you) as you should prosecute if so.
Old 11-29-2001, 02:23 PM
Inactive User

R/T:

Thanks. Yes, I do think it's them. I just wish I could prove it. In this F'd up state, animal abuse is a misdemenor. It don't matter the extent of the abuse. All I need is proof. If another drops, that'll be it. I won't give a shit anymore. I'll lose it for sure.

I've really got to get up my CCTV cameras. Have them hooked to motion detectors. It's all that wireless stuff. They even have an attachment that you can pan & tilt the cameras. Otherwise, all ya can do is zoom in & out. Then, I can have up to 4 cameras hooked up to a VCR.

I don't think that it's anti-freeze. None of them went into convulsions. That's a sign. I've had two dogs posioned in the past. Both had siezures. One, I was able to keep alive for 3 more years. I had to cook special food for him, 3 times a day. It's shit like this that make me want to be a hermit. Some people shouldn't be allowed to breath. Like those terrorist guys.

Well Thanks For Your Thoughts Again.
Later Bro
Ugg
Old 11-30-2001, 11:57 AM
Inactive User

Ugg, here's an idea, let's have a Mopar meet at your house and then we can practice doing donuts and four-wheel peel-outs on your neighbour's lawn.

Come up here to Canada, as murder is murder and they will prosecute to the full extent of the law (you will do serious time here for that offense). Unfortunately, we don't have the death penalty, but aside from that, it's all good!
Old 12-04-2001, 02:07 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb Ring and Pinion

According to the dealer, the R&P needed to be replaced. I have to wait overnight for parts, but I will let you all know if the noise is gone when I get her back tomorrow!
Old 12-04-2001, 11:19 PM
Inactive User

R/T:

I like your idea. Okay everyone, there's gonna be a MoPar Truck owners Meet at my place. We have a rather freshly asphalted street to do burnouts on, and several lawns to practice 4WD techniques on. I'm an excellent chef when it comes to BBQ ribs, but I only have 3 grills, so we'll need some extra.

We can block the street off too, and have about a two mile stretch of un-interupted track. So what do ya all say?????

Ugg
Old 12-05-2001, 12:35 PM
Inactive User

I'm in. I'll go out and buy some monster mudders so that I can dig some new drainage ditches on the neighbour's lawn. I have Canadian plates and will scream International Incident when they come to arrest me! *LOL*
Old 12-05-2001, 05:58 PM
Inactive User

R/T:

What arrests? First, we'll block the street, then, cut the phone lines (except for my computer), and succede from the Union. We'll call it D-Land. I'll take my back-hoe and build some hills, like the ones that'll go to my several neighbors windows. We'll have things like living room and kitchen obsticals. Roof jumps. And not car roofs either.

We'll have something like a triathilon, but instaed of sking, we'll be drivin, then shoot a moving target, with scatter guns. Then there's the plunder and pilage stage. Hmm, we better not bring the wives. My neighbors daughter can help with that (she's an alumnist of the old Jerry Springer Show), and she'll go along with it until she finds out she's not gettin paid.

Later
Ugg
Old 12-06-2001, 11:35 AM
Inactive User

I like this inter-country communication, we can set-up an embassy in your neighbour's house and declare it a jack-ass free zone. Of course they will have to move out, but such is life, non?

Have you ever jumped your D? On purpose that is, crashing it doesn't count. I was going a tad quickly the other day, and flew off a what I can only describe as a whoop-de-doo (motocrossing term) in the road and caught about three feet of air. Landed smoothly. Was very cool!
Old 12-06-2001, 01:06 PM
Inactive User

Hey R/T:

Back in the day, I used to Moto Cross. But that was before it got all sophisticated. We're talkin over 20 years ago. I just did it for the fun of it. Then all these people started to get sponsers and such, so guys like me couldn't keep up. Oh Vell. Besides, I'm better on 4 wheels than 2.

The last race I was in was up in Crandon WI. I lost my bike in the 2nd turn of the 1st lap, at the bottom of Murphies Mud Hole. Me, and about 50 other bikers. They dumped two semi loads of gravel on top of them to bring the bottom up. Bye, Bye bike. I was in a team. So, after being D-Biked, I grabed the old Super 8 movie camera, and started to film the race.

I noticed one thing. Almost everyone had pain on their faces. Gruntin & groanin. However, there was one group of racers that almost all of em had big ole smiles on their mushes. It was the guys in the little Baja buggies. You know, the kind that the military's usin now. These guys were floatin across the top of the shit. What a gas. I always wanted to do that since, but never did. And now, it looks like I never will.

Yeah R/T, I think that it's real F'n neat that we can do this inter-country communication. I had a friend in Germany that I used to talk to allot. But then she split up with her old man, so the emails are very sporadic now. There's this program that's called Dial Pad. With it, you can use your computer like a phone, and talk over the net, literally. I know it can be used in the US of A, but I don't know if I can get thru to Canada?

So when do ya want to set-up your embassy? Our forces will welcome you at the border. Of course R/T, the whole area will be a Jackass Free Zone. So, there will be allot of vacant houses. And like I said before, we can use my back-hoe to create allot of different trails. Although this sub-division is only 46 acres. We can still have fun.

Later
Ugg