Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-21-2001, 08:49 PM
Inactive User

Question

Hey guy's I'm new here, but not to Mopar, I have been a mechanic and racer for 28 years. I have run into a problem with the brakes on my race car, it is a 65 ply. with the single master cylinder on it, I am trying to change it over to the dual master cylinder set-up but have had no luck, the brakes are mushy, and will not stop the car very good. I have put every thing on new, lines, wheel cylinders, and have tried 3 different master cylinders, I'm not new to doing this, but just can't get a handle on this problem. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

------------------
Old 01-21-2001, 09:20 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by 65 racer:
Hey guy's I'm new here, but not to Mopar, I have been a mechanic and racer for 28 years. I have run into a problem with the brakes on my race car, it is a 65 ply. with the single master cylinder on it, I am trying to change it over to the dual master cylinder set-up but have had no luck, the brakes are mushy, and will not stop the car very good. I have put every thing on new, lines, wheel cylinders, and have tried 3 different master cylinders, I'm not new to doing this, but just can't get a handle on this problem. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

When you change from a single to a duel you have to add a proprotional block valve did you do that? the BIRD

Old 01-21-2001, 10:31 PM
Inactive User

Yes, I have tried it with the proportioning valve, and without, and it makes no difference either way. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2001, 11:23 PM
Inactive User

65,you DID bench bleed the master cyl. first...right?
Old 01-21-2001, 11:27 PM
Inactive User

oh yeah,if you're using a master cyl.adapter plate,you may need a longer brake pedal push rod
Old 01-21-2001, 11:54 PM
Inactive User

Red face

Here's what happened to me. I never would have believed it but it's true. It's a long shot, but as I said..... Look at the bleeders and make sure they don't have any restriction. I had one (left rear) that while it would let fluid (and air) pass, not in enough volume to get all the air. Opened it up (had casting slag in the hole) and bingo. Replaced almost everything untill I found that one. I've got a MP adj. p/rod I'll sell for 1/2 price if you need it.