Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-11-1999, 04:53 PM
Inactive User

Question

I am not the one who took my A-518 apart, but I am putting it back together. I used the ASTG manual and everything went great except for:
1) There is a washer which is 1.308 in diameter, .062 thick and has a .350 diameter hole in the middle, where does it go?
2) Where does the three small metal dowel pins go?
My manual doesn't specify, so any help is appreciated.
Old 10-11-1999, 05:38 PM
Inactive User

I think the washer goes between the I\P and O\P shafts I think it goes between the mickey mouse washer and the O\P,Ill check tonite. What size are the pins?
Old 10-11-1999, 08:25 PM
Inactive User

Hey thanks, you are right. I put the washer in between the mickey mouse thrust washer and the output shaft and it is a perfect fit. Kind of obvious after I put it there. You can tell by the wear pattern caused by the output shaft that it goes there.
The dowel pins measure .538 in length and are .218 in diameter.
Old 10-14-1999, 05:53 AM
Inactive User

I dont think those dowel pins even go in the tranny, course i been wrong before.
Old 10-14-1999, 11:47 AM
Inactive User

Can they be from the over running clutch?
Old 10-14-1999, 03:11 PM
Inactive User

They might not go in the trans. like you said. I got everything back in a few boxes. There was items missing such as the output shaft front bearing, governor weight retainer/washer, parking lock rod to valve body e-clip, and clutches. In my ATSG manual the only place it refers to something like the dowel pins is for the rear band that go around the overrunning clutch ( but the manual is for the A-500 also) and the manual just refers to the A-500 when installing the rear band which has to be different than my A-518, from the way the instructions was in the book and how my band actually went in. Being as small as they are, I can't find any practical purpose for them there, much less anywhere that they could possably go. Knowing all this, I can kick myself, you know where, for not just going ahead and tearing it down myself
By the way, there are black in color if this helps, I know (well I think I know) they are not part of any roller clutch assembly because they show no signs of being subjected to any friction. None of the black machine dye has been disturbed. To me it is as if they are some kind of alignment pins. They couldn't be some use for them for the valve body could they?

[This message has been edited by Brian Holcombe (edited October 14, 1999).]
Old 10-15-1999, 05:56 AM
Inactive User

too small for sprag rollers,they run about .310 dia. Is your OD unit disassembled also? Watch out for that big spring on assembly or disassembly, it'll bite you.