Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-20-2001, 05:58 AM
Inactive User

Has anyone used the MSD Engine Knock Alert PN 8964? I am planning a 474 stroker project using the Edelbrock heads and am looking for various engine management controls that would help protect it when "purging the secondaries."
Old 01-20-2001, 02:06 PM
Inactive User

I see that the msd knock alert has a sensitivity adjustment. Ask msd questions concerning this. A friend of mine who is an engineer at GM told me that when they hop up an engine with a knock sensor the remove it. The reason is it will pick up valve train noise or piston noise and retard the timing. I know that the msd won't retard timing but you don't want it telling you that you are detonating when your solid lifters are to blame.

------------------
Old 01-22-2001, 05:20 AM
Violent J

I used this same engine knock alert in my truck when i stupidly had a Vortech supercharger...it is ok...it did pick up engine noise and report it as knock...it is somewhat costly(about 140.00)...what always happens when u stick a guage like this in your engine, it shows alot of knock and you get off the gas....you always wind up watching it...i would say you might be better off building your motor to run on pump gas, and not worrying about knock...make sure its tuned right too, lean conditions dont help either...
Old 02-06-2002, 07:21 AM
Inactive User

Default SafeGuard knock controller

Just clicking around to see if anyone is running one of our knock controllers.

New Ultra SafeGuard retards only the cylinders that are knocking, and incorporates a two bar MAP sensor. Boost retard start point as well as rate are adjustable.

Units are $495.00

www.jandssafeguard.com