Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-28-2001, 05:12 PM
Inactive User

Default roadrunner question

I'd like some info on roadrunners. Well not all roadrunners, but a specific one.

There is a guy here in sydney (A chevy guy mind you) that has two roadrunners. He go to the states quite often, buys stuff, and brings it back here to sell at a big profit. No complaints about that, he sells it, people buy it, that's their business.

However he claims that one of these Roadrunners is a factory lightweight racecar (dragracing). Now correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the only lightweight cars, the Dart and Barracuda hemi superstockers?

He claims that it was a special body and that it's one of 20something. So basically I want to know if the car is on the level. Did they make lightweight Roadrunners? If so what were their specifications? And how many were made?

I personally think he is full of it and that he may have been spun a story by the guy over there who he bought it off. After all he is a chevy guy and he bought both these Roadrunners to sell over here. Yep they are both for sale of course, at fairly hefty prices too, but I really want to know some facts as I'm sure he'll want to feature the cars in our magazine at some stage. The car is in a shop at the moment so my friend (who knows the shop well ) is going to get the codes off the option plate so we can decode it and find out what the real story is.

So guys , what do you think?
Old 11-28-2001, 05:44 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

This guy lie's or has been lied to. 4 cars have been given the lite weight treatment. Like you said, the Dart, the Barracuda as well as the 2 early cars that became the forerunners of the funny cars.
They were given the A-990 code. I can't recall the cars name right now. They were built in the early 60's. The front end sheet metal was give an acid bath to make them thinner and lighter. Later on in the years they raced, The front and rear ends were moved for better weight transfer. Thus, making the car look funny. (Funny car)
I think they were the 64 belv's. Ugh! Brain frezze! I can picture them in my head.
Road runners never got the wieght treatment. But they did get the engines to run.
Old 11-28-2001, 05:49 PM
Inactive User

Yeah the early one's were polara's or belvedere's I think.

The trouble is that he is confident that he has something special and he tell anyone with a set of ears how special he thinks it is.

When we get the code i bet we find out it's a 383/3-speed manual car or something.

Thanks, anyone else with info
Old 11-28-2001, 10:47 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin roadrunners

see if you can post the vin #s.....maybe they are 69 1/2 m code cars,these were about the only"special" roadrunners built out of all,(aside from hemi cars and sixbbls) as far as the lightweight designation,no way,no how-I would like to hear more details though.........
Old 11-28-2001, 11:51 PM
Inactive User

No lightweight Beepers -ever.
Old 11-29-2001, 04:05 AM
Inactive User

Unfortunately when I went to check out the car the owner was there and I didn't want to talk to that idiot!!

I'll catch up with it at a show and take some pictures of the VIN and the option plate.

I didn't think they made lightweight "B" bodies. It's good to know I'm not totally insane.
Old 11-29-2001, 07:30 AM
Inactive User

Question roadrunners

speaking of roadrunners,
I have a 68 and would like to know where i can get front guards and flip type rear windows for it?
You see i just finished tubbing it and started doin the body work, sure could use all the help i can get.