Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Durango Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-29-2001, 05:14 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin Proud New Owner!!!!! Waaaaa Hooooooo!!!!

Howdy All,

I am new to this group after having my 85 Toy 4X4 Truck stolen (see you later Toyota forum) so I decided to sell my Chrysler Concorde and get a Durango. I finally ended up with the 2002 4X4 with the 4.7L and 3.92 gears. I do have one serious question that I would like some feedback on from the members here. I have an Enflite trunk mounted bicycle carrier that carries bikes similar to a roof rack but normally sits on the trunk of a car. The way this works is the front clips hook into the top of the trunk and two straps go down below the bumper to secure the rear end. What I am wondering is if this would be safe to hook these clips to the top of the rear hatch and rest the lower pads on the glass on the hatch with the straps attached to the tow hitch. I think when I first got this rack it was advertised to work with cars like the Camaro with the large rear window. So is anyone familiar with what I am talking about or did I loose you all. Please advise, and I will post pictures later when I get a chance.

John
Old 11-29-2001, 08:48 PM

Default Welcome to the forum!

Good luck on the new purchase.

I don't have a bike rack but if I were to get one I'd probably go with the type that slips into the reciever.
Old 12-01-2001, 08:13 AM
Regular Guy

I think it might work however the seam for the lift gate is behind the 'airdam' so you might need to use some rubber pads so you dont scratch the metal. I have a buddy who uses a similiar setup on a CRV
Old 12-01-2001, 12:22 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies, I found the paperwork that came with the bike carrier and it shows it attached to a minivan the way I described. This pretty much tells me that it should be safe to use on my liftgate and you better bet your ass that it will have pads on the feet. Now I just have to figure out how to deal with the rear windshield wiper.