Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-30-2001, 12:45 AM
Inactive User

Question 6 speed clutch vs 5 speed

Iv'e read on other message boards including the TDR that the H.O. clutch is weaker than the standard 5sp one. Seems a little strange if that is so being the clutch and flywheel are a little larger in size on the 6sp.

Anyone really know which one is stronger?

Thanks, TMAC.
Old 11-30-2001, 06:06 PM
Inactive User

the 6spd holds about 100ftlbs of torque less than the 5spd can.

neither can hold what they should. IMO

South Bend Clutch has a nice setup for both. they will hold nearly twice what the stock slackers can hold.

I have a Con-OFE and it drives as good as the stock clutch did with smooth engagement and GREAT holding power.
Old 12-02-2001, 08:25 PM
Inactive User

I run the McCleod clutch unit after having a massive Centerforce explosion,,My6eatsV8's recommended it and I have had nothing but good luck so far,,The South Bend unit is one of the preferred pieces by most of the TDR gang,,Peter's customer service is second to none,,Its a shame from the factory they can not give us a clutch to hold and last,,Good luck...
Old 12-03-2001, 01:36 PM
Inactive User

I will agree with Big Red, but the dual disc clutch is not for the faint at heart. it's a little less driveable but by far the most hardiest.

the Southbend is a great choice for those of you that need a better clutch (450HP or less) but most of all, still work the truck with trailering and backing. it drives like or better than my stock clutch did for me.

I have thrown at least 400HP to mine and it has never hinted at slipping.

my truck;
2001 QC 4X4 SB 5spd, PM3 Comp, Bully Dog 4's, 4" exhaust and a few fuel delivery mods in the middle
Old 12-03-2001, 08:39 PM
Inactive User

Question

If that is true, then why the difference in size? Longer life in stock form or what? I have also read just the oposite that the H.O. clutch is stronger then the 5spd which makes sence to me as the H.O. has more HP and torgue as stock.

Thanks TMAC.