Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Car Audio Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-01-2001, 01:36 AM
Inactive User

Default What would be best?

Hey guys, any opinions are appreciated:

I want to replace the factory system in my 1994 standard cab Ram. I have the AM/FM cassette.

Here are my criteria:
1. I don't want to spend too much on this (say less than $250 or $300). I am putting my money mostly into making the truck faster. I hope to be able to find most of the stuff on ebay.
2. I don't want it to be stolen, since I don't have an alarm.
3. Not too loud. Sound quality is more important to me. I don't need too too much bass for country music.
4. I want to be able to install it myself. I don't know much (read:anything) about this stuff, but with some reading and some help from you all I'm sure I can figure it out.

Here's what I am thinking:
I don't want to get a fancy head unit now without an alarm. Asking for trouble.
1. A CD changer, hidden somewhere - maybe the glove compartment or behind the driver's seat. Can this be wired into the stock radio-cassette. How would it be controlled? Will any CD changer work? Seen tons of them on ebay for really cheap.
2. Speakers: what would be good to go with? 6x9s in the doors for midrange? Which are thin enough to fit in that space? Other smaller ones in addition? How about an inexpensive sub in addition? Would I need an amp, then?

Then, how easy is it to upgrade? Say I want a head unit at some later date, could I just wire it in later?

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-02-2001, 04:49 AM

Well the budget is pretty tight to get a deck and changer.

I would spend the moeny now on a deck. Its a center peice for the rest of it. I always tell people to build it one peice at a time. If you buy for the long haul(so to speak), it can always go into your next car/truck. Most of all radio's have detachable faces. So as long as you remove it, a theif is retarded to steal it.

Putting them in is a snap. You can get a wire harness and a install kit that takes all the guess work out of it. You can check around but they have whats called "smart harnesses" now that requires no wiring on your part. Just snap one into your new radio and the other end to the car, NO SOLDERING!! I can walk you through it.

You can also Get a RF style changer for that price range. It just uses a FM station on you factory radio. You have a control for the changer for tracks, disk, etc... The draw back is the sound will only be as good as FM station. Installtion is somewhat harder due to the running of the wires and tapping the power and grounds. but still pretty straight forward.

If your factory radio has CD changer controls you get a "direct link" changer that will give you CD sound and you control it with your factory. The draw back there is price.
Old 12-03-2001, 10:00 PM

Default go easy

go with a mid line deck with cd in it a set of 51/4 mids in the doors 1" domes on or in the a pillar + an 8" sub in a box behind the seat with a small amp if you get it used it will push the budget a bit but the sound if set up right will be good + the look will be great if you trim it like your interior.
Old 12-03-2001, 11:00 PM
Inactive User

always remember, as few speakers as possible, to keep it clear and cheap, and round speakers at athat, try to get at least 5.25's. get any cheap pioneer cd player, they will work with any pioneed cd changer. also, consider a small 10" in a bandpass and a small amp. and, most of all, AVOID JENSEN. if your front speakers arent too bad, u might want just a set of tweeters to add right in. you will also need a crossover.
Old 12-04-2001, 02:19 AM
Inactive User

Default Thanks for the help

Ok, here is what I am thinking at the moment.

Head unit:
Pioneer DEH-P47DH or 77DH
I found many of each on ebay for less than $150 used.

5.25's in the door. What are good brands for this?
1" Dome on A pillar. Again, brand? and what will I need to secure it?
Sub: 8" or 10"? What is bandpass? What constitutes a small amp?
What is a crossover?

Thanks for answering my questions. I really don't have a clue about this stuff (as if you couldn't tell).
Old 12-04-2001, 10:18 PM
Inactive User

well, the infinity reference 5.25 coaxes are one of the best for the money. they are 55 dollars on www.thezeb.com. try lookin for those on Ebay, and have nice crisp tweeters, so u wont need seperate tweeters. look for a pioneer 10" in a bandpass box on ebay. they are the only brand i know of that makes a decent bandpass, and a 200 rms amp will be plenty. make sure to consult us for our opinions, u might end up with a POS
Old 12-05-2001, 12:13 AM
Inactive User

Thanks Pimpin94Spirit. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated so that I wind up with a decent system.