Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-01-2001, 09:07 PM
Inactive User

Default Will the new Hemi make it to the crate?

I would love to get one of these new small block hemis for my 70 barracuda. Does anyone know if it will be offered as a crate motor with all the electronics? Maybe we (mopar chat) could inform Ma' Par about offering it. Here is another idea I had a 70 dart with one of these hemis in it and a fiberglass lift off hood (like the 69 440+4 road runners) painted flat black, it would make a neat and mean little car. What do you think guys?
Old 12-02-2001, 01:34 AM
Inactive User

Hmm..You mean Mopar is going to try and build another Hemi and may offer it as a crate motor? From all I have heard about the first hemi crates I dont think I would buy one when they first come out. If your really looking for a hemi "crate" call larry shepred. He offers many style hemi "crates" at a good price if that is what you are looking for.
Old 12-02-2001, 01:55 PM
Inactive User

The new 5.7 Hemi is what I assume that you are talking about. Let Mopar get it out and launched in trucks before you get too antsy for a crate motor.

As with any new product, there are always improvements that are made to the design and process after it is launched. Give them a chance to work all of the "bugs" out. It sounds real promising though.

I spoke with a friend who works on that engine and it is making more power than they planned.
Old 12-03-2001, 12:52 AM
Inactive User

Not interested in "crate" motors, but I like your idea, after some of these get into wrecking yards, and (big) IF anybody will make regular ol' intake manifolds and ignitions for them. I'm not all that up-to-date on electrons whizzin' around and enjines thinkin' fur demselves!!

Words from the old fart ...Doug

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!
Old 12-03-2001, 01:28 PM

Despite the fuel injection and electronics, that's what they did with the Magnums. Aside from making intake, ignition and perhaps mechanical fuel pump provisions, it doesn't seem too difficult after they are in regular production.

HOWEVER, trans bolt pattern, flex plates, and motor mount compatability is also a question. Hopefully Mopar and/or the aftermarket will address those issues if the 5.7 Hemi crate startes becoming feasible for Mopar to consider.
Myron