Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-20-2001, 11:10 PM
Inactive User

Red face

As i posted earlier i can't figure out how to get my inital timing set! I stated earlier that i was getting fire out the carb!After that we tried to time it and it stopped firing out the carb but it was backfiring outthe exhalst, but not running! I know the valves are ok too, the engine was just rebuilt! When we tired to time it on the compression stoke it seemed like when we had the piston at TDC that the exhalst valve was started to open!???? Is there anyother way to time it!??? And what else should i try? I really wanna get it running!? I wish i knew? The valves are ok, the timing chain, cam, lifters, valves, carb are all new!?
I hope this helps and any suggestions will help??!!!

------------------
1970 Dodge Dart 340 Swinger-now has a mild 318 and plans for more performance.
1977 Dodge POWERWAGON
360ci with Dana rears and a 4-speed, with 35"tires!
Old 01-20-2001, 11:54 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

TRY THIS,ensure you are using #1 cylinder,manifold #S or the furthest head forward is the #1,next remove plug turn engine over until you start to feel compression coming out of plug hole,now check timing marks and rotate engine until you line up at 4-6 btdc then remove distributer cap making note of were #1 plug wire is with cap on dist. does the rotor point to that wire location? if not rotate dist. to line up if your out 180 then remove dist.rotate and reinstall the lin up #1 wire on cap to rotor location tighten down and it will start then reset total on crank with lite as desired.

------------------
Old 01-21-2001, 12:39 AM
Inactive User

I had my ignition wires crossed on my MSD 6AL and was getting backfiring through carb. I'm sure you checked but make sure your dist. isn't 180 out also.
F.B.
Old 01-21-2001, 02:05 AM
Inactive User

340 Dart
If your exhaust valve is just starting to open when the piston is coming up, the valve timing is off. The cam is out of time with the crank. Make sure its the exhaust valve before you start disasembling the engine.

RamHead
Old 01-21-2001, 04:34 AM
jammiejeanne

I would take off the valve cover over #1 piston and check out the valves opening and closing in relation to the piston, to be sure that the valve timing was correct. (timing chain). Bring the piston to the compressiong stroke and check that the distributor rotor is headed to the #1 sparkplug wire in the distributor cap. Be sure the firing order is correct. Be sure you are getting fuel and spark. If it stll does not start give each cylinder a squirt of oil through the sparkplug holes and try again. I have had the cylinder walls "wash" clean after a rebuild or a flooding situation and lose compression.
Old 01-21-2001, 11:56 AM
Inactive User

Dart, From what you described you are on the exaust stroke not the compression stroke, remember the cam turns only one half of a revolution for every one full turn of the crank. It sounds if you have the distributor 180ยบ out of rotation. Go back to the original post and follow the procedure that was provided from my original response.
Old 01-21-2001, 04:46 PM
Inactive User

Dart, did you get my e-mail if not contact me at Tothperformance@csonline.net
Quote:
Originally posted by Dart_340_Swinger:
As i posted earlier i can't figure out how to get my inital timing set! I stated earlier that i was getting fire out the carb!After that we tried to time it and it stopped firing out the carb but it was backfiring outthe exhalst, but not running! I know the valves are ok too, the engine was just rebuilt! When we tired to time it on the compression stoke it seemed like when we had the piston at TDC that the exhalst valve was started to open!???? Is there anyother way to time it!??? And what else should i try? I really wanna get it running!? I wish i knew? The valves are ok, the timing chain, cam, lifters, valves, carb are all new!?
I hope this helps and any suggestions will help??!!!

Old 01-21-2001, 09:04 PM
Violent J

THe best thing you can do at this point, is either call a moblie mechanic, or have your car towed to a mechanic...this is obviously too hard for you, and the best way to solve this problem is have someone who knows what hes doing work on it....then get some books, and learn all you can....
Old 01-22-2001, 02:45 AM

When all else fails, wire your cap in a clockwise fashion (small block I'm assuming...)and use the driver side plug closest to the rediator as your number one plug (North American, not export)18436572. ( I dunno, maybe he's a Ford guy?)
Old 01-22-2001, 11:08 PM
Inactive User

Dart, your exhaust valve should not start to open untill down towards the bottom of the power stroke.

At the top of the exhaust stroke, both valves should be open.

Sounds like your cam is ??????

Or, your timing cover and balancer marks are way off.

Billy
Old 01-24-2001, 07:17 AM

Reading through, I tried to understand what everyone was saying, and I just remembered...this may or not be the problem, but I remember it from some time back....The earlier timing covers, as you know, run a harmonic balancer that is 90degrees different than the ones after 72 or so. If by chance your timing cover and balancer don't match, you could be setting your timing 90 degress off. If this wasn't known at the first engine assembly, then the cam would have been installed 90 degrees off! So, even if your marks line up, your marks/balancer (cover/balancer) don't match and so your cam will forever be dialed in wrong. This is probably NOT the problem, but just trying to through out ideas to help! Good Luck. Just my two cents....

------------------
  • 1964 Barracuda Formula S Custom
  • 410ci 340 Stroker
  • 833 Four Speed Custom
  • 3.55 8 3/4 489SureGrip
  • Lakewood/McLeod Hydraulic Clutch Setup
  • Hurst Race Package
  • 1965 Dart GT Front Clip
  • Disc Brakes
  • AmericanRacing Aluminum Slot Mags
  • ONE HELL OF A WILD RIDE!!!!!!