Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-23-2001, 07:41 AM
Inactive User

Unhappy

Heres the problem My buddy has a 87 T-type(he also has a 64 polara with a 440 runs low 13's) lots of mods runs mid 12's 106 mph. He's bought a new turbo biggest on to use stock mounting flange and a 3900 stall convert(car still has stock one in it ). Out of my group of car buddies a dodge is always the quickest! But I'm worried and need some advice to keep it this way.
Heres what I have.
1967 Dodge Charger car wieghts 4000
1972 440 out of Imperial had 100000 miles on it I reringed and put new bearings in it 452 heads valve job milled .015 thou 284 dergee comp cam springs to match edelbrock performer rpm intake 850 speed demon dp carb baffled oil pan hi-volume oil pump hooker comp headers with a crane hi six ignition and a mp distributor and msd blaster 3 coil hooley blue pump 3/8 line up to carb.
Trann is from the same Imperial 100000 miles on it I put a B&M shift kit in it with a B&M 3000 stall converter.
Rear is a 8 3/4 with a 741 case 4.1 gears old style sure grip(not aburn) ss springs are istalled in the relocated position rear tires are 12.5x28x15 mickey tompson et streets.
Cars best is a 13.6@96mph on a 175 hp shot of Nitros it ran 12.1@109mph.
I would like to put the car solidly in the 11's.
To do this I've assembled some parts
68 440 block magnafluxed and inspected needs .030 overbore forged crank 3 sets of rods out af a 68,74,75 motors. A set of Kieth Black hyperutectic pistons kb237 30 over, a set of total seal rings, a comp cams 308 roller cam with lifters and comp roller rockers the gold ones, a comp 292 cam hydralic M1 intake aluminum water pump housing
I have been looking at quite a few after market heads and I would like to get a set of edelbrock heads mainly due to price.

I plan on rebuilding the transmission everything in front of it I'm not sure what exactly to do with.
cam, comp, and converter are what I need to decide about I've picked up the parts gradualy and would like to use most of them but am willing to buy what I need to stay ahead
I see a lot of hard core drag guys here so I'm hoping to use some of thier experience so I don't have to look at buick tail lights this year
Old 01-23-2001, 08:49 AM
Inactive User

Sounds like a fun bunch of guys. Those turbo Buicks are nasty but with some work you'll be able to make him sit down. The KB quench domes are designed with specific tolerances to quench area in heads which could be advantages, however I would think twice about using a cast piston with nitrous. Once you really know what you want as far as times vs. streetability, then I think you will get some solid opinions to think over for your combo. Think about putting your car on a diet.
The Fat Bastard
Old 01-23-2001, 09:12 AM
Inactive User

Wink

I don't really want to use nitros I've had some problems getting consistant preformance out of it some form of nitros delivery problem(then I can say I don't need forced induction) as for streetability thats not an issue the track is about 15 miles out of town and I don't put 200 miles a year on the thing as it is and I will tolerate quite a bit I the name of speed and braggibg rights. As for times I would like to see something around 11.3 or so hopefully that will be enough plus it would have to be consistant I would like to do some bracket racing with it
Old 01-23-2001, 09:44 AM
Inactive User

Hey Farm Boy! Yeah, I'm the guy with the B1-B/S heads but it's cool if you decide on Edlebrocks. But on this topic I am going to suggest you take the money you save(buying edlebrocks) and put it towards an MP 4.15 stroker crank! My equation is simple: Big Car=Big Engine. Ofcourse, FBs advice is good too, if you can afford some fiberglass fenders and hood that would shave off about 100 lbs! The crank tho is number 1--you need to get that heavy girl movin off the line! Mondo torque is the answer!! Good Luck!
Old 01-23-2001, 06:51 PM
Inactive User

Question

Stroker sounds interesting and expensive. Do you need different rods or would stock ones do what type of pistons would be needed. I would rather use the current pistons and rods I have if possible. I planed on buying heads mainly because that's where I've heard I should spend my money for the best bang for my buck. As to fiberglass parts I'll have to wait until the motors done before tackeling that how much wieght would glass fenders and hood save anways?
Old 01-23-2001, 07:25 PM

Have you tried porting the heads and possibly installing larger valves on the engine that's in the car right now? That should get it into the mid to low 12's, adding a larger cam after porting might break into the 11's... it might even cost less than building up a new motor, especially with a stroker crank. If you've got the cash though, by all means go with some aftermarket heads and stroker crank etc.
Old 01-24-2001, 07:04 AM
Inactive User

I have'nt done this yet but feel it would be best way to go for me , too! I have a Challenger and they aint too light niether! I beleive stock rods can be used as long as you prep them--magnaflux, shotpeen and re-size. You will need a "stroker piston" that has the pin located higher up--I think KB has these too. Ofcourse, if you had to choose between good heads and a stroker, you SHOULD spend your money on the heads, IMO. But, they DO compliment each other as a combo if you can swing the cash! Try goin' with just the heads for now and if you are still not happy with her performance start thinkin' "Displacement"! Good Luck what ever you decide!
Old 01-24-2001, 09:05 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for the input guys! I don't think I can currently afford the stroker right now but I would sure like to. What I'm really concerned with is the 308 roller comp cam. with the kb pistons I'm hopeing for at least 11 to 1 comp. So is this cam even close too much too little. I have the rest of the hard ware for a roller cam so thats what I'll use but if this stick seems unuseable I could try some thing else. Converter, I was planning on getting a bigger stall 3500-4000 not exactly sure what and maybe a deeper gear 4.56 or 4.88. As to wieght I hate to strip the interior the car looks fairly stock except for the et streets and I like it that way.
Old 01-24-2001, 01:02 PM
Inactive User

I have used the 308R in a 3600 lbs 440 car, it had good torque but not very much punch in the top end. I think the MP 296/.557 made more power than the 308R, but the 308R made more low end torque. I run low 12's with 3.23 gears and 205/75/14 radial tires.
Old 01-25-2001, 02:23 AM
Big Tuna

Wink

Just my opinion, but you may want to save your money until he actually runs the car with the new stuff on it. I have seen alot of GN's slow down with the big turbo on it. Dennis