Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-05-2001, 02:32 PM

Default 74 barracuda with 318 Hemi???

LOL, had my 318 barracuda at a local cruise nite last summer, had the hood open, has the stock 318
, guy asked if was a "HEMI" , i replyed "yup" .
Old 12-05-2001, 02:44 PM
Inactive User

Default HA! but not surprised!

It is AMAZING how ignorant most Chevy and Ford guys are about MoPars. Most wouldn't know a slant 6 from a 6Pak.
The same can't be said about MoPar guys. We know most of the engines, combos that go into the camaros and mustangs.

I remember a neighbor of mine (he had a Chevelle) was eyeballing my Coronet and asked me a few questions. I told him it had a 383. He looked at me puzzled and said "383?? That is what my car has. How did you bolt it up in this car???"
I said "No, a 383 is a factory big block, what you have is a stroked 350 small block"
"383 big block?? Never heard of that before!"

Typical 'DUHHH' Chevy guy.
Old 12-05-2001, 06:48 PM
Inactive User

I had one of those the other night at a fast food drive thru. I got to the window and this guy hangs his head out to look at the car. "What is that?" he asked and I told him it was a'74 Duster. "Well, what kind of Nova is that?" He even complimented my "blower" on the hood (scoop).LMAO
Old 12-05-2001, 07:15 PM
Inactive User

I've had similar experiences. One time me and my cousin were in front of the local super market in my '73 cuda and as a boy around 16 and his dad walked by the boy asked his dad "What year mustang is that !". My cousin wanted me to pop the clutch and run them down but i thought better of it. Probably the funniest was at a local parts place where this kid was claiming how his bone stock 5.0 musting could do 7 seconds in the 1/4 mile. He was buying spark plugs and decided he didn't want the splitfires being they were $5 a piece and he needed 32 of them being his engine has 4 valves per cylinder and he needed one plug for every valve !. After the parts guy corrected him we had a pretty good laugh.
Old 12-06-2001, 12:23 AM

32 spark plugs!! Thats a good one!
Old 12-06-2001, 04:11 AM
Inactive User

LMAO some people shouldnt have cars...let alone work on them.
Old 12-06-2001, 05:39 AM
Inactive User

I remember in High school
My 77 volare-asked what year Nova it was
My Mums 90 Daytona,they didnt know what it was and thats going back to 91-did get mistaken for a mustang once??
Old 12-06-2001, 09:22 PM
Inactive User

A kid kept asking me about my 'Red Mustang'. I could not make him understand that I have 70 Barracuda. I'd get responses like "so that's a Ford still right?" or "Wait, a mustang right?" I guess some people don't understand that there are other "fast cars" besides Mustangs. Nothing beats this guy telling me he bought an '82 Camaro for $4,200 that runs 10s. He explained to me that the previous owner had "spent $4,000 on the headers". This camaro was a naturally aspirated, single carb, 350 with street tires and road gears of course. I chuckled to myself and told him he should bring it to the track sometime. I guess we've all got stories about outrageous other people.
Old 12-06-2001, 10:12 PM
Inactive User

Ya the brand X crowds are not to swift when it comes to Mopar.
I've had the what year mustang and Nova before. The....is that a 350 when looking at the 383 sticker on the aircleaner....no this is a fast one. And the is there a Hemi under the hood.
And we have to live with the general theory of the brand X crowd.........Mopars are too expensive and slow. Last time I looked at parts prices, only 350's are cheaper than a Big block Mopar. All the shootouts in the mags they refuse to believe.
Then they won't race me after saying how slow Mopars are......oh well.
Old 12-06-2001, 10:37 PM
Inactive User

Is it any surprise that so many younger folks are ignorant of anything but Shivvies? It's not really their fault when you go into parts stores and almost if not all the aftermarket custom and speed equipment is for Shivvy and/ or some Phord. And I've seen alot of Classified ads for parts that didn't say what it was for --they just assumed that everybody knew it was for Shivvy-- like--"Is there anything else?" I may sound kinda ticked. but really, all you have to do is go where the rubber meets the road er uh strip (drag strip). And you can find a fresh respect for your dusters, darts, chargers, volares, aspens, belvederes, savoys, furys, cudas, 330's , 440's, polaras, monacos, coronets, challengers,and everything else w/ the pentastar.
Old 12-06-2001, 11:39 PM
Inactive User

man, in highschool i got sick of everyone telling me i had a "nice nova". the cops even callecd it a charger once.
also got the "what color orange is that?" its not orange, itrs rallye red.
"is that a car like the dukes of hazard?" nope. that was a 69 charger, this is a duster. "ya gonna put the rebel flag and number one on it?" nhope. its red, and a duster.
ingnorance amazes me.
mike.
Old 12-07-2001, 12:57 AM
Inactive User

KCbear, I agree with what you're saying the younger crowd knows nothing of mopar. I am in my last year of high school and I'm one of the few younger guys that cares about Mopar. The mechanic guys are all Chevy or Ford. Probably because the only fast cars they've seen are camaros,f-birds,vettes, and stangs. Plus many people can't understand that chrysler=dodge=plymouth=mopar. That seems to be beyond the grasp of people. And now with all the rice, its just sad. If it doesn' have 'noss', gaudy rims, big subs, huge wings, and/or stickers its not worth anything. Its just some "grandpa car". What a joke. I forgot the always funny "its 3spd? Well my (insert Honda/Toyota unibox name here)'s got 5. HaHa)" Its all well and good I suppose, they can blow thier money on accessories while I can have a nicer, faster car for lots les money. Someday they just might learn.
Old 12-07-2001, 09:52 AM
Inactive User

Unhappy Kinda sad really.........

Probably most of you 30somethings like me can remember in the early 80s you could score a very nice MoPar for a few hundred bucks. (and buddy, I DID!) Yep, a '70 GTX for $600? UNREAL? It's true. It was before the value of the cars went through the roof.
What kind of cars do these kids now adays see around that they can afford to fix up?? Absolute junk. Cars that were slow when they were new! $600 or a grand was a lot of bread when you are 19 or 20. But in our day that could put you behind the wheel of a decent '68 Road Runner or Charger that maybe just needed a paint job and a bit of tinkering.

Come on! You remember.
Old 12-07-2001, 10:02 PM
Inactive User

I've heard this crap too! What it is, is ignorant (read uneducated) people trying to sound intelligent; cause everyone likes to think that other people perceive them as being smart. Most stupid question I get is this one. "is that a Hemi?" I say no, it's a 440. Then the dumb stuff starts. "So thats a Hemi too, right?" Or "my dad/friend/cousin had a hemi with a 6pak." After pruning a 454 Chevelle a local chev guy said about my car, "Ya, but that's cause his 440 is all hemmed (hemmied?) up." What ever justification they need I guess! Ignorance is bliss when you drive a shoveme........................djs
Old 12-07-2001, 11:34 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: Kinda sad really.........

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Righteous
Probably most of you 30somethings like me can remember in the early 80s you could score a very nice MoPar for a few hundred bucks. (and buddy, I DID!) Yep, a '70 GTX for $600? UNREAL? It's true. It was before the value of the cars went through the roof.
Come on! You remember.
Boy DO I! I bought my 70 340 Cuda for $500 off the Ford used car lot in 1984. Not a spot of rust or bondo on that body. I rebuilt the engine and had a friend repaint it, then drove hell out of it. Sadly, I had to sell it when I had 3 kids in highschool at the same time.
Old 12-08-2001, 04:21 AM
Inactive User

My usual ignorant response is "Super Bee? that was a VW right?"
Old 12-11-2001, 09:13 PM
Inactive User

I heard you Doc,

My first car was a $300 73 Challenger 318 3sp with a fresh black paint job (1981).

Then a 73 Charger SE 318 35K miles, very nice for $500 (1983).

My third was a 72 Challenger 340, 53K miles and new exhaust for $400 (1984). Thats the one I should of kept.

I had to wait til '91 til I got my next 73 Challenger 340 for $1000. It was pretty ratty, 85K miles, but it cleaned up nice.

Finally a 70 Challenger convert last year for $10000000.

Boy have prices changed, those were the days!
Old 12-11-2001, 10:25 PM
Inactive User

youd be suprised though, i own a car audio shop and i get alot of rice burners in for sound equipment. my challenger ta is right there for them to see and do they get crazy lookin at it!! they love the muscle cars!! its fun to answer there questions and tell them a little history of the muscle car.(especially mopars) they love it. believe me, they know there mustangs and cameros but when it comes to the dodges and plymouths thats when they like to here about where it all started. like teachin auto shop!!!
Old 12-11-2001, 11:56 PM
Inactive User

Plum Crazy you bought a challenger for 10 mil ? Must be one hell of a ride !
Old 12-12-2001, 01:33 AM
Inactive User

My favorites:

1. Is that your Chevelle?
2. Why don't you paint it orange and put a rebel flag on top?
3. Is that a 350?
4. Him "wanna run it?"
Me "sure, what are you doing tommorow?"
Him "whoa, i've gotta get my motor and my stall built first"
5.I used to have one just like this, only mine was a 75 Nova.
6. i'll give you five dollars for it.
7. I can build 3 of mine for one of yours.
8. oooohhhh.... It's a dodge. I was wondering why a chevy would have a 440 in it.
9. My mom's ford tarus can out run that
10. the craziest one happend when two guys looked at my big block with no air cleaner on for the first time....
Him "What is that"
Me "Its just a 318."
Him " did it come with three duces from the factory?"
Me " yeah"
Him " Man, I wonder how they put a 440 in here when that 318 takes up so much room."
Old 12-12-2001, 07:32 PM

My favorite time was when I was driving through the school parking lot in my '75 Nova 4door police car (black and white of course!) and a kid comes up to me and says "Is that a 440 inch plant?" I'm like "uh, what?" and the kid goes on and quotes more lines from The Blues Brothers, even when I told him my Nova is a Chevy and the Bluesmobile was a Dodge and explained the COMPLETE difference between the cars, he still didn't get it. I also get a lot of people calling my '69 RR a Charger. One of the local cops gave me my only ticket in that car a few years back, on the ticket he identified my car as a "1969 Plymouth 2-door". I felt like making the argument in court that the guy wasn't even bright enough to properly identify my car, let alone use a radar gun. Something along the lines of "Was it a Valiant 2-door? Or a Fury? Or GTX? Or a Barracuda? Or a Belvedere? Whaddya mean you don't know? Do you know your own name even?" Then there was the kid who moved in a couple blocks from my house, he wanted to buy the really nice, red Challenger that the guy nextdoor was selling and repaint it orange and put a rebel flag on top and an "01" on the doors. I'll have to admit though that when I was a lot younger I sometimes confused Aspen fastbacks with the early 70s Novas but that hasn't happened for like 10 years One of my friends who is taking the auto body class at the local community college kept having the other kids ask him if his '78 Monaco was a Chevy or a Ford, so he finally painted "MOPAR" on the back in bright orange which really stands out against the car's flat black paint job. I've also had problems with my Ambassador, I had it at the tire shop a few months back and one of the workers asked me what make of car it was. I said "AMC" and he replies "Yeah, but who makes it? Ford?"
Old 12-16-2001, 03:24 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Dr. Righteous
Come on! You remember.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
quote: By LarryS
Boy DO I! I bought my 70 340 Cuda for $500 off the Ford used car lot in 1984.
35 years here. I got my current Cuda for $600 clams. Also, cars from the past and there deals were, '73 Duster, 318 manual 3spd fold down rear seat and moon roof for cleaning out the garage and getting rid of a broken car.
Freind rolled over his '73 Lemans. Dude! I need that. OK...case of Bud! Deal! Still owe him 2 six packs of the brew. (Ooops) Whatcha need it for? he asks. Oh!, I got this '74 Tempest that I need a rear axle C clip. Where did ya get it?
I got it for the asking. (Super deal! Thanks to a buddys Mom! Yea, she loved me)
Ahhhh, the good ol'days. Just loaded with $50 Impalas tempests nova falcons etc... I'll get off now, time for for someone else to clutter up the board
Old 12-17-2001, 06:03 PM
Inactive User

You'll be glad to know that these mis-guided and ill-informed people are not just limited to you continent.

In Australia the Ford and Holden(GM) people seems to follow some basic rules.

1)All V8 Mopars are Hemi's and therefore are something to be feared.
2)All Hemi 6 cylinders are 6 Packs and therefore are somethi9ng to be feared.
3)All Mopars are fast and cannot be killed.
4)Mopars are expensive to modify.

The reality is
1)No Hemi V8's were sold in Australia and those that are here are super expensive and are 426's,392's and so on.
2)While Chrysler Australia did make Hemi six Packs(Straight sixes), they were strickly limited.
3)well we all know this is true!
4)This one depends on how fast you want to go.

I also thought I would make a comment on a recent letter in one of the American Mopar Mags. One reader wrote in on how Australians were wrong and that our Hemi Six was not a true hemi as the spark plugs don't go down through the rocker cover. Chrysler Australia made Hemi sixes in 3 different sizes, the 215,245, and 265. They all used a hemisperical combustion chamber and canted valves but the designers didn't see any need to put the plug down through the rocker cover so the plugs are on the side of the head as per normal. They also released an option which saw three dual throat webers hanging off the side which they called the Hemi Six pack. It powered the fastest accelerating car made in Australia at the time. Powering a 3200pound car to a 14.4 at 99mph down the quarter. Not bad for 265 cubic inches and 6 cylinders huh! Don't be confused though as the Hemi six has absolutely nothing in common with the Slant six.
Basically this guy shouldn't be making comments on something he obviously knows nothing about. We don't go telling the guys over there how many Cuda's and challengers were made! Nor should we as it's not our place too.

We should be able to enjoy and appreciate each others car without this bickering. Leave that to the Ford a Chevy guys!!