Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-05-2001, 09:52 PM
Inactive User

Question masters

I've seen guys talking about an aluminum master as a replacement for the old bulky master and boost. ('74 w/ disc-drum) Which application would that be and would the same app work for the proportioning valve for the conversion? What about rod throw from the pedal? Will that be the same with the new 4 spd cluster? Thanks ahead of time,
Old 12-05-2001, 11:36 PM
Inactive User

Aluminum Master Cylinders started coming out after 1979. You can get them from your local parts store. Ask for an Aluminum MC for a 79 Dodge D100 Pickup truck. This will be a 1 1/8" bore MC. You can also get it in a 1 1/32" bore which will give you a little lighter pedal. Make sure that it's definitely Aluminum. All the parts stores around here tried to give me a cast iron one. They look and act the same except for the material.

Are you planning on keeping the brake booster? If not, make sure that the MC also comes with the pushrod retainer. It's a small piece of what looks like rubber tube with a notch in it. You'll also want to check for the groove in the back of the MC where the rod goes in. This is where the retainer will sit to keep the rod in the MC. If you're keeping your power brakes, then no worries mate.

If you're switching to manual brakes, you'll need an adjustable pushrod. You can either get it from Master Power or Mancini Racing . The one from Mancini comes with all the hardware, plus the retainer and instructions. I'm not sure about the Master Power one.

If you have a hard time finding an Aluminum Master Cylinder, you can do what I did and get the Wilwood Aluminum MC from Summit. It comes with the pushrod, retainer and boot if you get the kit. It is the exact same MC as the Chrysler, but in a 1 1/16" bore.

As far as proportioning valves, I would go with an adjustable. It will allow you to fine tune your rear brakes for maximum braking.

BTW, you will also need the adapter to convert from 4 hole mounting to 2 hole mounting. E-mail Zippy @ rhwang3@yahoo.com for this adapter and heatshield. You can see his stuff here

Good luck
Old 12-06-2001, 07:08 PM
Inactive User

The 80 and up cop cars, 5th aves and diplomats had an aluminum master.