Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-06-2001, 04:45 PM
Inactive User

Angry Ignition problem or what????

Facts: Totaly rebuilt engine with KB silvolite 10,5:1 with 902 heads, new rods, new everything.
Sixpack induction system totaly rebuilt by me( and I know my sixpacks).

Old parts in the combo: Mopar goldbox with MSD blaster coil and an old electronic distributor with light springs and std ballast resistor.

I know that it's now good to use a goldbox on a street car but it's not my car and he's stuburn and will not change.

The problem is that the car just dies after 5 min driving, I was driving at our highway and was reving 2000-2500 rpm the it just dies.
Then I try to restart it and it shot tru the mufflers and after 3-5 min cool down it starts and works great for another 5 min.

But if I'm cruiseing in the city no problem at al.

Can it bee the MSD coil that gets to hot or what , I really need your help here guys.

He is a good customer to me so I need some input

Sorry for any misspelling but I'm Swedish
Old 12-06-2001, 07:01 PM
Inactive User

I've had a fuel prob that kindof acted like that. But when it died I took the air cleaner off and saw there was no gas. I have also had an ignition box that acted up sometimes. Also vapour lock that would shut the car off and I would have to open the gas cap to fix that.
I would wait until it dies and go over the car when it won't start to see whats going on. Its tuff to guess on what it is. If you have spare parts like an ignition box and coil it would be worth a try. I have heard the gold box's get to hot for street use.
Old 12-06-2001, 07:31 PM
Inactive User

Almost for sure the box or coil is failing after warm up. I'd replace the box first and try it. If the problem is solved you're done. If not, put the old conrol box back on, (remember, just 1 change at a time) and try a different coil. By the way, were these parts OK before the rebuild? Yes? Are you sure, or is it just your customer's word? Customers tend to have poor memories when trouble occurs!!! One more thing, the ballast resistor may have changed values due to age, use, or being dropped, but it would be my 3rd. choice as they usually just fail and won't restart no matterwhat ....let us know the outcome.......djs
Old 12-06-2001, 11:17 PM
Inactive User

Gold box cannot be used on the street-period.Also I suspect that the coil may be the problem.I don't know if the MSD coil is compatible with the Gold box,I use the Accel coil that Chrysler says to use wit the Gold Box and I have had ZERO problems with it.
Old 12-07-2001, 04:44 AM
Inactive User

Okey, it's nice to here that you think the same as me.

#1.The ballast is sometimes gloving and the ceramic filling in the ballast is gone

#2. The car ran great this summer before the engine change, and you could go for hours without any problems.

I'm absolutly sure it's the ignition that's the problem.

I will buy a new conversion system with a new orange box, distributor, ballast and wireing

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-07-2001, 09:30 PM
Inactive User

If the ballast is glowing and has insulation missing, you have a lot of voltage some where, or a worn out ballast. I'm sure the conversion kit will fix the problem, and you should be able to use the MSD coil.....djs
Old 12-07-2001, 11:57 PM
Inactive User

I wouldn't go that far,I'd maybe change the ballast and the coil.More than likely,that is the problem.
Old 12-08-2001, 10:35 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it.

Jocke