Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-09-2001, 12:42 AM

Default Installing 727 w/new converter

I just put my new engine in my 72 Duster and planned on installing the trans with it. The new converter didn't seem to line up with torque plate. I installed just the engine without the trans so that I could get the rented hoist back. Then I took the converter and torque plate back to the shop and they got them bolted up, but one bolt has to go in first and it looks like it will be a real pain in the butt to install because of the tight matchup.

Could someone give me some suggestions/tricks on how to install the trans with the engine in the car so that I won't be beating my head against the wall. Thanks, any tips will be appreciated.
Old 12-09-2001, 01:21 AM
Inactive User

One thing to do before installing the flex plate to the engine is align it with the bolts on the torque converter and spraying one corner with paint to mark the correct alignment. The drive plate\flex plate should then be attached to the engine and torqued to specs. The tranny should be placed on the device that will be used to install it and put into position, installing the torque converter should be done with care and be sure it is properly engaged and fully seated on the spline. Now the pain in tha part starts getting it aligned and bolted in, with the help of a friend is better. Installing the tranny cross member and mount first has been best for me, You did change the mount while it was out? E-mail me and I will give you my phone number in Lancaster if you need any more info.
Old 12-09-2001, 02:04 AM
Inactive User

Hey Gary,
Is that the J.W. Performance that I used to have? Either way, I agree with George. Get everything lined up outside the car and use paint ( can or stick) or even just some white-out to mark one bolt on the converter and flex plate. Should be the usual pain after that. What are you using for kickdown? If you don't have a local trans shop to balance your converter and plate, I can recommend C&O on Rosecrans next to Inglewood in Hawthorne. Good Luck!
Old 12-09-2001, 02:32 AM

George, thanks for the info. I tried to send yo a message via the private messaging and it still doesn't work. Do you ever run your cars at LACR? I've heard a few negative things about the track, but would like to run there when I get the new engine in my Duster broken in.

Greg, thanks for the input. The converter is from A1 out in Lancaster California, its a 10 inch that should flash at 3500.

I'll try to post a pic of the engine on the hoist just before I put it in.
Old 12-09-2001, 02:43 AM

New Engine being installed, checking converter fit....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 360-8x5.jpg (58.0 KB, 29 views)