Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-09-2001, 02:36 AM

Default Diesel questions

I am thinking of changing to a 2500 diesel but don't know much about diesel trucks. My truck gets bad mileage and still feels very week, especially on the highway and up any grade. I don't have anything to tow but the mileage and power sounds pleasing, plus a 5 speed would be good to i think. What years are the best for the dodges cummins? Can you give me any stock power numbers? I would like a reg cab 4x4 as a trade for the truck i have now. I have only a few thousand miles on a brand new motor and tranny/t-case, not to mention everything else. Would this be a fair swap for a 95-97 cummins within the 50-75K mile range? Also, what is the reliability? thanks and sorry for so many questions
Old 12-09-2001, 04:48 PM
Inactive User

Default Oh yeah!

I love questions like yours. I am the very proud owner of a '99 QC Cummins long box. This is my first diesel, and I will never buy another gas engined vehicle if diesel is an option.
First of all, the power is unbelievable. The fuel efficiency is so far superior to gas, the cost of ownership is low, the expected life is 3-4 times gas engines, and the towing power is awesome.
The 24 valve engine, available after year model 98.5, has electronic injector and fuel feed controls. This makes it EPA friendly, and easily tunable for extra power and mileage. The 12 valve engines make plenty of power, and also get good mileage, but aren't as easy to tweak more power from. Frankly, either engine will make you a happy driver in stock form, but diesels are so easy to extract more power from, that lots of people do it.
The strange thing about diesel power though, is that when you first drive one, it seems like you are not accelerating quickly. Then you look at the speedo, and know better. They don't accelerate like a gasser, with screaming RPM's and quick shifts. They accelerate more like the space shuttle:non stop. As far as I'm concerned, owning a Cummins is like owning a Hemi: the absolute best ever made.
Ron
Old 12-09-2001, 07:18 PM

ol ron! Thanks for the reply. Like i said, i don't do any towing so is a diesel good in stop and go traffic? I hear that you loose boost with the 5spd, between shifts. I never really take my truck above 3k rpms because if i do i can watch the gas needle move. Man, you soo lucky i wish i lived in Montana, i think its one of the greatest places on earth. I am 18 and have grown up listening to Rush blaring on the radio throughout my house! Any other info on the diesel would be great, how much should i expect to pay? I don't think i can get a 24valve because that is too new for my pocket book. If i found a 1996 or so with 75k miles would i be expecting some major work? thanks!
Old 12-11-2001, 08:32 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Oh yea love my cummins!! I also had a 360 gas hog just got tired of the 10.5 mpg so got a 2001 sport man what a diffrence.I have 3500 miles on the truck and getting 15.4 in the city. About the power yes look at your speedo and it climbs, I also like the noise it makes my kids know when im comming home. HAHA get that diesel. good luck.
Old 12-14-2001, 04:55 PM
Inactive User

Does anybody have any stats on stock diesels or turbodiesels? Like stock hp, torque, 0-60, etc..

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-14-2001, 06:41 PM
Inactive User

Cool

My 01 has auto 235hp at 2700rpm 460 ft lb 1400rpm no times for ya good luck..
Old 12-23-2001, 07:56 PM
Inactive User

I'm going to put a Cummins in a Land Rover Defender 110 for off-roading and towing. What is my best chance for finding a good engine w/ tranny?
I'm afraid it's going to be hard to find a wreck in a junk yard with a decent engine. Does anyone sell them used?