Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-26-2001, 10:48 PM
Inactive User

Question

Okay when i first bought the car 2-3 years ago and when i got it runnin, it hardly ever would shift into 3rd gear... Well during the early of this winter season it worked so perfect, but now it hardly ever switches into 3rd and when i put it in park it tends to roll like its in nuetral, so I will have to sit there and shift until it actually parks, everyone tells me its the linkage, but i was also wondering if they made a 4 speed 904 for a slant six and since if i had a center console instead of bench seats i was told the linkage would be eliminated and there would be no slop so it would and should shift perfectly... Is there something wrong with my tranny or is it pure linkage? And where could i buy a brand new center console like BRAND new for a 74 gold duster... Also where could i get brand new bucket seats and a new dash pad? Anyplaces that still make them new?
Old 01-27-2001, 07:58 PM

As for your tranmission, check all your linkages. I would recommend going to a Chrysler-Plymouth-Dodge dealer, the parts desk, and get some new linkage bushings. The parts guy should be able to look up exactly what you need based on your car's engine/transmission combination. The bushings are simply pushed into place and the rods need to be pressed in with a pair of pliers. Then, make adjustments as necessary to your selector linkage and the throttle rod/kickdown linkage. The A-904 is a three speed transmission. That's all.
Try www.laysons.com for seat covers and cushions and other bits. They have repro stuff. I don't think they have the whole seat. Also, www.paddockparts.com and www.yearone.com. Legendary Auto Interiors also does stuff like that. They don't have a website, but pick up a copy of MOPAR Action, or one of the other MOPAR magazines to find their add in it.