Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-09-2001, 09:44 PM
Inactive User

Default Question on oil

I just purchased a 92 Dually. Very nice, clean Arizona truck. Has only 141k and was very well taken care of. This is my first diesel. What oil do you all recommend for cold Minnesota winters. Is synthetic a good ideal?
Old 12-12-2001, 09:53 PM
Inactive User

Default Warmer winters here..

but you have a good question. Cummins recommends 15/40 all year, but that's when you plug in your block heater. You should most definitely use a cold front on the grille. If I was you, I'd run a pure synthetic oil in the 5W-40 weight and go back to 15/40 in your thirty day summer month. (:>)
Nice truck you have there, enjoy it!
Ron
Old 12-13-2001, 10:15 AM

Amsoil makes a good product for your application.
Old 12-16-2001, 03:01 PM
Inactive User

Cool

I use Mobil 1, period. Amsoil is, I think, a good product, but I find it hard to get due to their marketing scheme. Mobil 1 is available at any Wal-Mart. Just a note also on filters for your Cummins engine, get Fleetguard filters from Cummins. They are made for the engine and less costly than Mopar. (A fuel filter from Mopar is $42.00 - the same from Cummins is $12.65).
Old 12-16-2001, 05:36 PM
Inactive User

Default Got to love it !!!!!

I disagree with the comments about the marketing schemes on AMSOIL,,I mean its a simple deal,either you use it and understand the product quality or you do not,,Also you do not need to use the block heater with a winter front,,In your area as cold as it gets I would use a winter front/cold front to help keep the engine at the proper operating temp,,With the temps you have I would only use a synthetic oil,,Amsoil has two that have pour points good to lower than -38 degrees and Red line also has a comparable oil,,I am a dealer for both and find either are a good choice,,remember one thing with Mobil 1,once you use it you can not convert back to conventional oil,where with Amsoil or Red Line you may,,Your truck, your choice,,And as for the hard to find deal,either are available on line,with no schemes involved......
Old 12-17-2001, 09:41 PM
Inactive User

Default Huh?

A winter front will not heat an engine when the engine isn't running. It will aid in quicker heating and help keep the engine warm at road speeds. A block heater is absolutely neccesary for keeping the coolant warmer while the engine is not running. In cold climates, a block heater is very important for easier starting and reduced engine wear. You want both in your neck of the woods.
Ron
Old 12-17-2001, 11:10 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: Got to love it !!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BIG RED MACHINE
I disagree with the comments about the marketing schemes on AMSOIL,,I mean its a simple deal,either you use it and understand the product quality or you do not,,Also you do not need to use the block heater with a winter front,,In your area as cold as it gets I would use a winter front/cold front to help keep the engine at the proper operating temp,,With the temps you have I would only use a synthetic oil,,Amsoil has two that have pour points good to lower than -38 degrees and Red line also has a comparable oil,,I am a dealer for both and find either are a good choice,,remember one thing with Mobil 1,once you use it you can not convert back to conventional oil,where with Amsoil or Red Line you may,,Your truck, your choice,,And as for the hard to find deal,either are available on line,with no schemes involved......
Old 12-24-2001, 05:54 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: Got to love it !!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BIG RED MACHINE
remember one thing with Mobil 1,once you use it you can not convert back to conventional oil,where with Amsoil or Red Line you may.
Who are you kidding. Passing misinformation is not helping anybody. You say you sell the others, I guess that your schemem to misinform then reap some sales. MB1 as any other oil can be mixed, gone back to or anything you want. If your statement is true then RL and AM oils couldn't go back either.
Old 12-24-2001, 08:28 PM
Inactive User

Default diesel oil

you can use mobil's delvac 1200 15w40 or delvac 1300 which is synthetic
15w40 which is excellent for deisel engines. it comes in gallons containers
easy pour container.
Old 12-30-2001, 04:28 AM
Banned

Default Re: Question on oil

Quote:
Originally posted by tmef
I just purchased a 92 Dually. Very nice, clean Arizona truck. Has only 141k and was very well taken care of. This is my first diesel. What oil do you all recommend for cold Minnesota winters. Is synthetic a good ideal?
Well, some guys will recommend Amsoil, but I prefer Shell Rotella 15-40. Seems a lot of people are using it with good results, me also. At this point, I wouldn't go with anything else unless I were in a colder climate.

Jack
Old 12-31-2001, 02:54 AM
Inactive User

Thats what I use, Shell Rotella and I have 134,000 on my 93 dually and not a problem.
Old 01-01-2002, 06:42 PM
Inactive User

Default Misinformation ????????

Ah yes,,Mr.Trans Am,,So tell me how ya really feel,,Are you really that kind of a person that will use personal attacks to aid your arguements instead of facts??,,See unlike the comment I am not one who retail sell these products,rather have the easier options to facilitate my race teams usage,sorry to remove a notch from your personal attack gun belt,,I do promote their useage a product line because they have products that are second to none as far as protection goes(and that means in any condition they are in,race,towing,pulling),,If you do not like their "schemes" you need not deal with them,there are two choices-1-buy off the internet with no dealer involvement-2-use another product and quit sniveling about it,,Are you really sure about the Mobil-1 synthetic and switching back??? You have had a prolonged use of this product and went back??I've seen the results real time, Have you??,,In the conditions tmef is in myself I would not use anything but a full synthetic,unless he is willing to spring for a pre-luber system,,Cold temperature starts and the time it takes for a cold Cummins to properly get lubed first thing in the morning will lead to a premature failure of bearings due to lack of oil on the initial start(course you'll probably disagree with that too),,With all the tests I have been involved with at work(I drive truck) and their repected manufacturers(Oil and lubes,both synthetic and conventional),,So, do not patronize me with your uneducated and misinformed bull,,I've seen and been a part of tests you'll never understand,does that make me an expert or know it all,NOPE,but it does give me an honest opinion of what works and what will not,,Ultimalely its a choice you make on your own,I am not trying to make it for you,just giving facts as I have seen them,,So if you don like Amsoil ,Red line or any synthetics for that matter,bashing me is not the answer the gentleman was looking for
Old 01-06-2002, 04:08 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs down Who are you kidding?

Did you read my post or imagine something? I simply stated that your comment "oils other than AM,RL, can't go back to dino" is a big load of bull butter. If you saw anything else in that post I say a defense mechanism went off in your mind to protect you from sustaining mental wounds. You passed 100% bogus info there and I for one will tell you to stick it in your ear. You said you sell oil so I can only gather that is a line you use to pedal your products.

Where on this earth did you come up w/ that stuff?

You are FAR to sensitive if you believe that was a personal attack. I take it personally however when others tell BS to sell products to me or anybody else, there is no excuse for that here or anywhere else. Period.

I have no trouble w/ any person selling products but at least learn something about what you are selling.

I have used syn. oil longer than anybody I can even think of. I use it in everything that requires oil. Myths such as what you stated scare off people that would otherwise reap the benefits of superior oil. MB1 is good, as is RL, AM, RP, Pennzoil, etc. To each his own, just don't misrepresent.
Old 01-06-2002, 02:18 PM
Inactive User

Default OILSFOR DIESEL ENGINES

I DROVE TANKER FOR CHEVRON FOR TWENTY SEVEN YEARS AND THESE TRUCKS RAN ALMOST TWENTY FOURS A DAY IN LOS ANGELES TRAFFIC.( TWO TEN HOUR SHIFTS) THEY WERE IN TOWN AND ON THE HIGHWAY, WITH 32 DIFFERENT DRIVERS TRYING TO KILL THEM. IN 1982, WE BOUGHT TWO MACK TRUCKS AND TRAILERS WITH DETROIT DIESELS IN THEM WITH ROADRANGERS TRANSMISSIONS. ( 6V92 ENGINES) THEY CAME IN EVERY TWO WEEKS FOR SERVICE, AND IF THEY HAD NOT GONE 10,000 MILES, THE OIL WAS NOT CHANGED. WE TOOK A TEST SAMPLE AND SENT IT TO FABER LAB. TO BE CHECKED FOR CONTAMINENTS. IF NO CONTAMINENTS WERE FOUND, THE OIL WAS CHANGE NEXT TIME. WE ALSO RAN CUMMINS AND USED THE SAME RULES ON CHANGING OIL. WE HAD TEN TRUCKS, CUMMINS AND THOSE TWO DETROIT V 6'S. THE MACK THAT WE OVER HAULED FIRST HAD 556,000 MILES ON IT AND LIKE I SAID, WE ALL TRIED TO KILL THEM. THE OIL WE USED, WAS DELO 400 15/40 AND WE NEVER HAD ANY OIL RELATED PROBLEMS WITH THESE OR ANY OTHER ENGINES. CUMMINS ALSO GAVE US A COUPLE OF ENGINES OVER THE YEARS, TO USE AS A TEST BED ON OUR OILS. NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS. IT'S YOUR CHOICE, BUT I KNOW WHAT I WOULD GO WITH.
Old 01-10-2002, 05:24 PM
Inactive User

I use a synthetic that is produced by a small company that has only been in the oil manufacturing business for 140 years (documented) along with their fuel treatment products. (Soy Shield)

they are called Scheaffer Manufacturing Company, and i dont work for them, nor am i affiliated other than a HAPPY consumer.

their oil i use, is the Supreme 7000 15W-40 (#700 under the Technical Data Sheets section.)

their's, unlike Amsoil, is API certified, along with numerous other manufacturer specification approvals, including cummins L-10.

you can find them at http://www.schaefferoil.com/

Schaeffer's is also less expensive per gallon then Amsoil's name,

oh' i mean oil
Old 01-17-2002, 02:07 PM
Inactive User

I just wanted to clear up a few things.

You can switch back and forth between synthetics and it doesn't matter what brand it is. I wouldn't recommend you make a habit of it, but there are no long term ill effects of doing so.

I would suggest that you decide on an oil and stick with it. This will ensure you are getting the best protection out of your oil.

Mobil 1 should not be used in a Cummins, or any other diesel for than matter, that requires a CH-4 oil. Mobil Delvac 1 is Mobils synthetic offering for diesel engines.

Mobil Delvac 1300 is not synthetic.

As for the Minnesota cold. If you are unable to keep the truck plugged in throughout the winter, you have two options. One is switch to a 10w30 in the winter and back to the 15w40 in the summer. Or obviously you could run a synthetic 5w40.

I would probably recommend the Chevron Delo 5w40 or the Shell Rotella 5w40. Both are Group III synthetic oils and will sell for a little less than Delvac 1. If you want to save on cost and/or you are not comfortable with extending the oil change interval a bit, you could then switch back to the Delo 400 15w40 in the summer or the Rotella T 15w40. I would suggest you stay with the same brand of oil.
Old 01-17-2002, 05:52 PM
Inactive User

Default OIL FOR DIESELS

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU. THE BLOCK HEATER MAKES ONE HELL OF A DIFFERENCE ON A COLD MORNING START. ON A USED VEHICLE, IF I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT THE OTHER PERSON USED IN IT, I THINK THAT I WOULD USE REGULAR OIL FOR DIESEL, AND NOT USE SYNTHETIC. WHICH EVER OIL YOU CHOOSE, STAY WITH THAT BRAND. I KNOW HERE IN THE WESTERN UNITED STATES, DELO 400 IS THE TOP CHOICE.....
Old 01-23-2002, 11:58 PM
Inactive User

Cool

I use Shell's 15W40 Rotella-T. I believe any oil that meets Cummins' specs should be good for your truck. Valvoline also makes an oil, called Premium Blue 2000, that is a semi-synthetic oil in 15W40. I'm considering giving it a try, as I live in southeastern KY and we have some occasional cold weather here, too. Anytime I know I'll be driving my RAM 2500, I always plug in the old block heater the night before--the heater gets hotter much quicker, and the engine does seem to build pressure a tad quicker, too.
Greg
2000 RAM 2500 4x4 Quad Cab Sport {flame red}
24V CTD, 3.54 axle with anti-spin, auto, 4" Magnaflow Exhaust, LT285/75R16 Bridgestone Dueler AT's (effective axle ratio now 3.42)
Old 01-24-2002, 09:17 AM
Inactive User

Default Diesel oil

For any application, the owners manual should be your first stop.
Oils are rated as such: SA thru SH? The s means it is for SPARK motors -- Gasoline /lp /alcohol
CA thru CH ? The C here means compression ignition -- Diesel
The leters following the S- or - C indicates the additive package.
For example a oil rated as SA or CA were for motors in the 40's and 50's Then they started improving them and we are now with SJor SH for gas and CA to CH with diesels.
I won't use an oil that is not rated for my application.
So that means an oil must be rared CD or better for my diesels.
I use Mobil 1 and it is rated for diesels , read the container!
I have never seen Amsoil rated as such. It may be a good oil though and they don't want to get it rated for some reason.
If you are still under waranttee and are using an oil that is not rated the dealer may choose not to cover the failure. Amsoil says they will cover it.
A friend sells amsoil and they have never been aware of any oil caused failures.

fox
Old 01-27-2002, 08:58 PM
Inactive User

Default Mobil 1

Here is a quote from Mobils webiste:
"As an SJ/CF rated oil, Mobil 1 can be used wherever an API SH, SG, SF or SE oil is called for in the owner's manual. As a CF rated oil, Mobil 1 can also be used in diesel engines calling for a CD oil."

Sorry for my misinformation. Apparently Mobil 1 does carry a CF/CD rating which does classify it for use in certain diesel engines, but this does not include a late model Cummins engine.

The required oil for the newer Cummins (89 - current) must carry a CH-4 rating (as well as an SH rating). The Mobil 1 does not carry the necessary CH-4 rating. As I mentioned before, Mobil's synthetic diesel engine oil offering for use in our Cummins is called Delvac 1 in a 5w40 weight.
Old 01-28-2002, 07:54 PM
Inactive User

My father own's a Cummins turbo and he's one of cheapest
bastards on earth. I kid you not when I say he has over
200,000 and it still runs great and he has regularly towed
7000ld. trailers up steep hills in 108deg. heat.
My father buys the cheapest oil he can from Wallmart.thats not
even rated at a high enough API spec. mineral oil.
I am not trying to say he's rite, because he's wrong,but I
think that any semi or full synthetic oil recomended by
Crysler or Cummins for the temperature should be fine.

P.S. keep the anger directed at the terrorists.
Old 02-07-2002, 12:57 AM
Inactive User

The one thing important about the oil in the 5.9 or 8.3 Cummins is that it meets sliding lifter application. The ISB-ISC do not have roller lifters. Personaly I use Delo 400 15/40 in my ISB. If you check out the Cummins site it states the oil has to meet the sliding lifter specification. I know that other oils meet this including Rotella. I know Delo 400 does. But Chevron does not recomend synthetic oil unless its consistently below zero.
Old 02-07-2002, 08:40 AM
Inactive User

Default OIL FOR CUMMINS

DELO HAS ALWAYS BEEN MANUFACTURED TO THE HIGHEST STANDARDS. I USED IT ONLY, FOR YEARS IN MY GASOLINE ENGINES AND NEVER HAD ANY OIL RELATED PROBLEMS. I KNOW A LOT OF THE OTHER DRIVERS USED IT ALSO, WITH GREAT RESULTS IN GAS ENGINES. SHELL IS PROBLEY JUST A GOOD AS THE SAE HAS A SET OF STANDARDS FOR ALL OILS......
Old 02-09-2002, 10:08 PM
Inactive User

i'm not going to argue about oils with u guys i think they are all pretty good products, but can tell u that kenwoth with a detroit 60 at 475hp.at 1850 rpm all day has 988,000 miles on it with mobiloil and only had rods at 450,000 by previous owner otherwise never opened up. i do think in colder climates should use synthetic but i'm not and my truck is shut off every night and plugged in. i think to each his own as long as good sevice intervals are maintained.