Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-11-2001, 07:50 PM
Inactive User

Default Electric choke kit, any options?

Hi everyone,

I just added an Edelbrock performer intake and Holley spreadbore carb to my W200.
It works great, but with one exception: the choke.
I blocked off the heat cross-over because I drive mainly on propane (so I don't need heating the intake) but the mechanical choke (on top of the heat cross-over) doesn't get heated enough.

For this carb it seems there is no electric choke conversion kit.

Now, what I've been wondering: Isn't there some (aftermarket?) universal replacement for the mechanical thing? I do not mean a thing that is bolted on the carb, but a true replacement for the mechanical one located on the intake that operates by pushing a rod?

I live in the Netherlands, and American cars are rare, so maybe this is a stupid question. Maybe it is a common alternative but I have never heard of such a replacement kit. OTOH it seems so obvious to do it this way that it is likely that someone has ever manufactured such a kit.

Otherwise, might it be possible to run just some current through the bi-metal spring and heat it up artificially? Has anyone ever tried this?

For those who are wondering: Yes, I still need the choke when starting the engine on propane. Strictly speaking I don't need the choke but I need the idle increase. Temperatures get below freezing here and no way I can keep the engine running on 600 RPM or so the first minutes after it has been started. And besides I want to be able to drive on gas as well in case I run out of propane.
A last resort may be to go to a manual choke or to remove the heat-xover-block-off. But it is more fun to keep it automatically and without heat cross-over.

Any ideas?

Greetings,
Frans Veldman
Old 12-11-2001, 08:14 PM

Would something like this work for you?

http://www.weiand.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...CA/45-224.html
Old 12-12-2001, 06:10 AM
Inactive User

BillyBob, thanks for your reply.
But the link points to something that is a normal conversion kit, intended to be bolted directly onto the carb. For my carb (4575) there is no such thing.
What I'm looking for is a bolt-on replacement for the mechanical choke spring on the intake manifold.

Thanks anyway for your answer,
Frans Veldman