Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-11-2001, 09:16 PM
Inactive User

Default Would a 400c.i. be for me?

When I start working on my 70 Barracuda I am going to build an engine for it. I want a bit more power than the 318 produces. I have pretty much decided that I want to go big block. I have read up on the 451 and like what I found. The main reason that I want to have a fast car is so I can put a couple Camaros in town in their place. I have some questions.

Does the 400 externally look like a 383?

I have also been looking at Hughes 510c.i. 400. Would this make a drivable, and half way reliabel street motor?

Is anyone here running a 510?

This is want I want the car to look like when I get done with it. What would make it even better is if it had 383 hockey stripes on it but the motor actually displaced 510c.i., that would be one mean car!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-556f.jpg (86.2 KB, 36 views)
Old 12-11-2001, 09:41 PM
Inactive User

Great looking car! Check out our RR at www.r3racing.net. I vote for cubic inches. Be prepared to make a very important decision, are you going to drive on the street or drive on the strip. You can't do both and optimize either one.
Old 12-12-2001, 02:58 AM
Inactive User

It depends on how much money you want to spend. The 451 stroked 400 is popular because it is affordable, only a bit more to build than a 440.
The 400 block is the same size externally as a 383 which helps in smaller engine compartments.
Having more Cubic Inches produces more torque and a power band that is lower in the RPM range.
If cost is important, and you have to choose between the 451 stroker with good aftermarket heads or the 500+ cid engine with stock heads, save the money for the better heads. My 451 with the B-1 B/S heads has beaten many 500+ CID cars with ported Iron Heads.