Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-05-1999, 03:18 AM
Inactive User

i have a 72 dart with a 440 with hooker fenderwell headers. the problem that i am having is with the exhaust. i have frame ties tying in the frame. i would like to run the exhaust where it should be run, down the middle of the car.i want to run a 3" exhaust but i need to know if anyone has done this. keep in mind this is a street car
Old 10-05-1999, 03:39 AM
Inactive User

With i am assuming an x braced frame on your dart you are more than likely going to have to run a high ride height to have some ground clearance on those 3" tubes. Try to find a real good exhaust shop that can do mandral bending on the larger pipes and he can keep them tucked as high as possible. We did not encounter this problem on our demon , but we do not have the lower hanging x. We went with southside machine connectors and comp. connector braces.
Old 10-05-1999, 06:31 AM
Inactive User

I have done these for cars using sub frame connectors, currently I have two A-body BB cars with fenderwells and 3.5" full exhaust. I begin by notching the frame behind the collector, and then just keep the pipes as high as possible. If neede I'll notch the subframe connectors too, but haven't done that with my current car. The mufflers are in stock places, I have 3" pipes go over axle with two more mufflers where the gas tank used to be. This way I have never had problems with pipe to ground clearance. I build the exhausts my self buing mandrel turns and some straight pipe, and start welding. This way they really don't cost much. I don't use the H-pipe in my cars, it
would propably make things more complicated.
Old 10-18-1999, 01:39 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation

If you need the ground clearance, there is a Charlotte, NC based company called BSR. They carry OVAL 3" and 3 1/2" Pipe for winston cup cars. Their phone number is 704-662-0901 for the shop here in Mooresville (Race City USA)