Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-26-2001, 07:14 AM

Thumbs down

You know the story, just a reminder.
Old 01-27-2001, 03:25 AM
Inactive User

Hey everyone! Toolman is 100% correct! Be sure to tell your friends "You won't go far with a GER in your car!" Temecula? Never noticed you were from there toolman. We have thought about moving there from AZ.
Old 01-27-2001, 06:01 AM
Inactive User

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by toolman:
You know the story, just a reminder.
I was looking into buying a GER converter. What is the problem with them? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-27-2001, 06:07 AM
Inactive User

ive never had any personal dealings with them, i do know 3 people that have bought a 3000 stall converter from them and 1 stalled to 1900rpm and the other 2 stall to well over 4000rpm, the 2 people that got more stall are satisfied customers though. i bought a t/a converter that was more than duble the cost of the ger's but it stalls to with in 200 rpm of what paul forte of t/a said it would. also you can send a good brand converter back 1 time usually to get it tweeked to your combo for free.

[This message has been edited by Runner1971 (edited January 27, 2001).]
Old 01-27-2001, 07:57 AM

Dustu72,
GER sucks and thats what it comes down to. They have the slick ads and build their stuff up to be great when its actually bottom of the heap junk. I bought the whole package from them, the tranny and 3000 stall converter. Withing 2 months it was shot to hell and that was with no runs at the track and it was supposed to be a strret/strip combo. I took it to the local speed shop that a good friend of mine owns and they yanked the tranny and tore the tranny and converter apart. You should have seen this thing. I dont think I have laughed harder. Supposed performance parts were stock and they did the bare minimum to make it last. They make them to last until the warranty expires and then suddenly there goes everything and you are screwed. All this happened to me plus almost 2 months waiting for the damn thing, all the while them telling me that its on its way and it will be there tomorrow, and them telling me the same thing when I called to ask why its not there. Dont waste your money, if you buy a GER converter you will be buying another converter within months. Sorry to go off here but I dont want to see any fellow Mopar enthusiasts get suckered the way I did.
Old 01-27-2001, 03:28 PM
Inactive User

i have a GER 10" race converter in my big block roadrunner havn't had any problems in 5 years of street/strip use, but know guys that have had problems. the most common problem seems to be false stall speeds, but that depends on the torque output of your engine. when i buy another converter i will go with COAN or DYNAMIC.
Old 01-27-2001, 04:21 PM
Big Tuna

Unhappy

I had a GER that I bought used from a buddy that I ran for about ten years in a bunch of different cars and never had any trouble. However, I built a car for a friend and we used a GER converter and trans, and they shipped us the wrong trans, and refused to pay shipping for the return swap. I know of some other people who had the same problem. Also, on one of the Slant boards, a guy posted that he had trouble with them breaking off the pump drive. Sounds like a real crap-shoot to me. I also bought an Alabama Converter last summer, and it wouldn't stall as high as a stocker, and it was really out of balance. You get what you pay for! Dennis
Old 01-27-2001, 05:21 PM
"BB Duster Maniac"

Cool

As everyone can see, the transmission and torque converter are not the places to save a few dollars. If you don't have the money to buy a good quality converter or transmission, then wait and save up more money. You'll have fewer headaches, enjoy the car more, and you'll probably go faster, too. Finally, when a transmision or converter company sells their stuff for alot less than their competition, it should raise a red flag in your head.

------------------
My Pro Street Duster Web Sitewww.mindspring.com/~dusterdave
Old 01-27-2001, 07:44 PM
Inactive User

Dustu72, I've had friends that ran those cheap converters and there cars ran OK but not anywhere near their potential. One friend of mine had used an alabama and a GER. I found a good used Continental for him and he picked up 7 tenths. Like these guys are saying, you get what you pay for when it comes to converters! By the way, My particular favorites are Turbo Action, Coan,
Continental, and Munsinger. I think Continental is the least expensive of these. Take a look inside National Dragster for telephone numbers of reputable companies. You won't find Alabama or GER ads in there.
Old 01-27-2001, 09:32 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Thanks for answering my question about the GER converter. I have been looking around for a converter for my '72 Duster with a 340/727 combo. This is my first real engine build and I don't have alot of money to spend, so it was good to hear the stories of the bad converters so I don't get screwed. Thanks to everyone that answered the question.
Old 01-27-2001, 09:46 PM

Dust72, I had the same experience as Elyod413, almost verbatim! If you have a problem with them and you will, they get real mean real fast. What a nightmare!! I tried to get my money back from the credit card company to no avail.
Old 01-28-2001, 03:46 AM
Inactive User

I have 22 years on my Turbo Action 3800 converter with ZERO problems.This is in a drag race only car.Sure we paid big bucks for it and I work about a block from Turbo Action,but I'd buy another one from them in a second.I use the Turbo Action rebuild kits (Tranz Box)and like the way everything is packaged and the fact you get all parts needed.I used one in my 727 11 years ago and it along with the 22 yr old converter are still working great.HIGHLY RECOMENDED!!!
Old 01-28-2001, 04:25 AM

Thumbs up

I love the way my Turbo-Action converter works!!!
Old 01-28-2001, 04:15 PM
Inactive User

Question

Hey Chris..Since you work 1 block from the "Forte Fortress", that makes me 2 blocks away..Airport Road.. What kind of clutches etc. does he put in his kits, any idea? I have to assume that he will sell parts over the counter to "walk in" traffic? Thanks!
Old 01-28-2001, 10:58 PM
Inactive User

Dr.Dodge, I too work on Airport Road,so we must be in the same buisiness.I don't remeber what type of clutches are in the kits,but they are of good quality.And yes they will sell over the counter.