Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-13-2001, 09:08 PM
CrAzYMoPaRGuY !!

Default Street multi port EFI conversions

Has anybody actually done one and ran it on the street?

What do you think of it?
Which system, Fel-pro, Accel, etc...
Easy to set up? Cold starts/warm running etc no problem?

I'm looking at running an Accel system (Rance FI) on a big cube Hemi engine with a roller cam- 613 lift, 255 duration @ .050 and want something that drives without trouble.
He has suggested a wide band o-2 sensor among other things... anybody have any other suggestions?
Jyrki?

I need quickish answers! (A week)

Old 12-14-2001, 11:17 AM
Inactive User

I have a mild motor compared to yours but I run a SpeedPro (F.A.S.T.) puter. I think the wide band feature is great and it should be more than capable for your motor. The only other thing is the price.

http://www.fuelairspark.com/
http://www.tciauto.com/ecu/spe_menu.htm

Old 12-14-2001, 12:26 PM
Inactive User

this is exactly what i'm thinking about doing!!! what type of manifold are you using???? i was thinking of having some type of hi-rise drilled for the injectors....anyone tried this???

matt
Old 12-14-2001, 02:37 PM
Inactive User

I am designing a MPFI conversion kit for a 440 engine. The best type of manifold to setup a fuel injection setup would be on a single plane. If possible, it would be better to target the fuel injector toward the back of the intake valve, rather than install then vertically on the manifold.

There are many choices for computers out there....for the do-it-yourself guys, who don't want to fork out the cash to have a custom EFI shop build them a system. The key would be tuning the system, it takes a lot of dyno or street time to tune the fuel injection correctly. If you have a laptop....and plan on spending many hours tuning your setup (ie. if your the type who would be happy tunning your system for as long as you have it). I personally don't have much experience with the different software and tuning, but I am sure there is someone else here who does.
Old 12-14-2001, 04:34 PM
CrAzYMoPaRGuY !!

I'm going to use an old hemi stack injection set-up as the foundation for the EFI. Rance Fuel Injection will be doing the work. The wide band O2 sensor set-up is $900+ US, but worth it to me if it helps much.
I've enclosed a pic of the manifold. I realize the OLD SCHOOL rule was short injector stacks - 4 speed, long injector stacks- automatic, but I was wondering if the thinking has changed, or if it still applies once converted to EFI? I would have to trim "tall" stacks down, as I want everything under hood.
Old 12-14-2001, 04:39 PM
CrAzYMoPaRGuY !!

OK, since the attachments are working SOOOOOO well....

Old 12-14-2001, 05:10 PM
Inactive User

Matt_68_RR&GTX I have a 360/380 crate motor in my car but the idea is the same as are the parts. RogerH is correct in stating that a good single plane intake is the best for EFI and to pitch the injectors toward the intake valve. My intake had bosses for injectors already so all I had to do is drill some holes. I angled them to 18 degrees as to point them towards the intake valve. If I look down the injector hole I can see the valve. Tuning is the killer as far as time and driveability. Lots of time spent tuning and you either need to have a Masters in EFI or know someone who is to get it done fast and to top performance levels. It took me a year of playing around and it is still not perfect. Good luck.

Old 12-14-2001, 06:02 PM
Inactive User

yea, i had already thought of angling the injectors....my original idea was to use a tunnel ram manifold and have it drilled....then plumb in a wet nitrous system on the backside of the runners. i remember an article a few years ago where a magazine did it and made the tunnel ram completely streetable.

anyways, one thing i haven't figured out too well is, how do these computers control the timing??? i read some on the F.A.S.T system and it uses 8 coil packs and i believe a crankshaft postiton sensor...not a big deal since i just sold a 2001 Camaro and it's basically the same setup. do the less advanced system just leave the distributor alone and let the mechanical/vacuum advance take care of everything???

i don't have a problem spending a lot of time tuning the setup.....did you ever read "CARTOONS"??? remember when Krass & Bernie setup a killer injected street strip stang that had different programs??? i don't know yet if it's possible but something like that gets me thinking!!!!!

matt
Old 12-14-2001, 06:02 PM
Inactive User

I would like to do this also someday. WIth the wide band 0-2 sensor, what is it that you are tuning? Ignition timing?
Old 12-14-2001, 06:07 PM
Inactive User

a wideband measures your exhaust emissions, like the o2 senors do in a modern car...it can tell rich/lean conditions and you tune the fuel delivery from there. that's probably way oversimplified but it's the jist. what would be ideal is a system that uses a wideband where you can pick a the ratio manually and have the system adjust.....maybe they do by now???

matt
Old 12-14-2001, 06:58 PM
Inactive User

Yes, I think they do do that! Search for some old posts by turbododge. He has a 'closed loop' system with wide band o2 sensor. It sounds like whatever this costs, it would be worth it.
Old 12-14-2001, 09:24 PM
Inactive User

accel gen-7 is supposed to be good, Speed pro (fast) better, and the electromotive is a good one too. all support wide band o2 which I would now call after my experiences, a great addition. The electromotive tec-II (and a newer one are coming out) have some self programming stuff in them. it's goign to be my next setup for sure.

oh yeah.. some updates on my web site