Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-15-2001, 10:05 AM
Inactive User

Default Satellite powertrain into 50 Desoto

In mopar_c_body@y..., mocarjoe@g... wrote "e) '62 and earlier trannies had band brakes on the tailshaft and ball-and-trunnion universal joints that aren't compatible with later slip-yoke cross-and-roller type driveshafts."

The question. Will I use only my rear part of a 50 Desoto driveshaft to hook up the 74 Satellite powertrain to the early rear end? Is this even advisable? Will it live if not abused?

While on the subject, has anyone put this powertrain in?
I know they had V8s in these early cars. Will the 74 360/Tflight fit? It seems that the steering stuff up front intrudes into the narrow engine compartment and the welded trans crossmember is very tight from the tiny original gearbox. Anybody done a swap into this early 1950 body? I can fab up mounts complete (but would rather not). Maybe just weld onto the existing mounts and splice them into the the 74 engine mount and adapt the late mounts into the frame and early Xmember. Any tips on placement, pans, engine mounts, trans mounts, linkages, master cylinder/disc brake upfront, and 12v/6v splicing? This car was a rat infested discard and the byword is to hit a $500 hotrod with available stuff onhand. Rusty holy car cost $50 and the powertrain cost $100. Seats cost $85. Thank you Pomona!

The 2001 Lincoln leather thrones are fabricated in and boy are they sweet!

Also have a 65 Fury, and a 68 Monaco, so I got this Mopar thing bad lately.

Later guys and thanks in advance for any help. Sorry for the long post.

ExRacer out
Old 12-15-2001, 11:13 PM
Inactive User

Don't know about early fifties except there were a few that had the 331-354 Hemi's. Nice powerplants! Any way, my old '47 got a BB by using the "K" member from an "A" body and I used a trans crossmember from a '73 Torino (fabbed mount). Wiring I went all new custom harness based on the diagrams from my local library. The rear is either gonna stay and have that yoke on the new driveshaft and balanced, or you can pull an "A" body 8.25 out of a boneyard for another 100-150. There are a lot of options available to you without getting into a lot of bread. I would say first to get measurements and draw out your frame setup and what the motor/trans will take, and go with that to the local junkyard and peruse anything that looks about the same width, etc. using your measuring tape. Best of luck on this project, and what are you doing with that Monaco? I've been looking for years for one, at least I think it's a '68 I want. Have to see photos of the back.