Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-15-2001, 10:24 AM
Inactive User

Question headers

decisions, decisions,...........................am leaning towards headers for my 69 dart daily driver. checked out tti prices and whoa! almost 600 clams u.s. money which means a cool grand in canadian which does not even include taxes or shipping. seems pricey, hard to justify. was wondering just how much better will headers be over the factory hi-po manifolds. i do not think weight will factor in as the factory manifolds are not that heavy.given the hassles of underhood heat, ground clearances, are headers even worth the expense? and does any one know of other brands which are comparable in performance to cppa, tti, without the price tag attached, but still has good ground clearance? who makes mopar performmance headers??????...anyone?.........................th anks!
Old 12-15-2001, 11:12 AM
Inactive User

Cool headers

I too am looking at headers for a 318 Aussie Charger. They are expensive, no bones about it. But after looking at companies local to me I have found it to be cheaper to have the headers custom built to my spec rather than buying performance ones from Edelbrock or alike.
I don't know alot about the gains over performance manifolds, but I understand that headers are advantageous because they have a smoother flow. They shouldn't have any sharp corners to slow down the free flowing exhaust and therefore give a less restrictive system.
There was a significant amount of engine bay heat with my original headers, and friends of mine have advised building in heat shields to direct it away from the inlet manifold. whether this helps or not I don't know?
There is a wide choice of types of header for all sorts of use, best thing to do is read until the cows come home (and when they get home, read some more). James.
Old 12-15-2001, 11:59 AM

Pentastar, is this a 340 or a 318? I would keep the manifolds if it is an original 340, they are way better than your average manifold, and they do not give you any problems associated with headers, ie leaks, rattles, rust, and heat. Sure you may never get that 20 HP at top end the headers will give, but when are you at top end anyway on the street? I have the BEST performing headers made on mine and wish I stayed with my '68 340 logs just for the fact it is a daily driver, and those logs sounded real nice with a 2.25 dual setup through Turbo mufflers, real mellow, not hinting to what I had under the hood.
Old 12-15-2001, 12:15 PM

Default headers

Hello pentastarguy

I have Thorley headers on my 73 Dart Sport, part number as I remember #351. These were about $350 about two years ago. They don't hang down, looking from the front only collectors are barely visable. The install was fairly easy passenger side went in with minimal lifting of the engine. The driverside took a little more lift starter was removed and one tube goes over the torsion bar (#7 cyl) all access to the spark plugs is easy as all tubes drop down, unlike some which travel across the valve cover. They are nickle chrome plated come with nice heavy flanges and quality gaskets, I try to get a digital camera from a friend and post some pictures.
Old 12-15-2001, 08:27 PM
Inactive User

What about the Spitfire or Schumaker shorties? supposed to be a lot less expensive. Stay away from Hedmans!!!!!!!! They suck on an "A" body!
Old 12-16-2001, 02:36 AM

I too am looking for a GOOD set for headers for my 74' Duster 360. My best suggestion rightnow is Headers by Ed( headersbyed.com)

What impresses me most about certain performance companies, Ed's especially, is how much they are concerned that the customer make an INFORMED purchase and are not simply quick to snatch the cash.

I called Ed's shop an soon found out that i didn't know very much about header design. First and foremost, FLOW has little if any, to do with what makes a good header.

ed does customs only and yes pricey, about $900-1200. but you get what you pay for. You want to buy $90, leaky,poor performing, rusting junk(MP included) and thats exactly what you get. I wont settle on $90 junk on my car. And also, why pay even more for a header that gives good perfomance but not the MAXIUMUM performance.

get ed info pack. It includes about an 3/4" thick stack of info and an cassette. may be you'll agree with his ideas maybe you won't.
but make an INFORMED decision.

Dave
Old 12-16-2001, 10:46 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

thanks guys for all the input. am definitely going to research before i buy. and read, and ask questions, and read some more......thanx!
Old 12-16-2001, 01:28 PM
Inactive User

pentastarguy,

The MOPAR Performance brand headers are built by a company called JJR. I purchased a set for by big block bee and they suprisingly fit real good. I might have cheated a little because I put the headers in while I was lowering the engine in, but there seems to be alot of clearance on both sides. The drivers side header is a little close to the starter so I bought a starter for a V6 dakota and it fits perfect. The steering clears from turn to turn and my shift linkage is not a problem. However, I have a slap stick so a column mount may have some issues. Mopar Performence has a little table that determines what header to be used for which car and that is how I got mine. I actually got them for 80 bucks because a tech at my dealer ordered 2 pair to many and the manager just wanted to off load them. They come painted black and it cooks off in 5 minutes so they are standard for cheapo headers, but again I had no major problems with clearance or installation.
Old 12-16-2001, 02:45 PM
Inactive User

Wink

thanks bee, am glad mp still has some good parts. 80 bucks is a great deal, could always hot coat them and still be ahead of the game. any performance difference noted??????
Old 12-16-2001, 07:55 PM
Inactive User

The most recent set of headers that i have purchased are from muscle motors in lansing michigan made by a company called tubular auto.Although they are more of a race style header they may make a more streetable version (i have 70 swinger 340 w-2 heads) the ones that i got from them are 1 7/8 tube and each tube is separate (pull apart style header)Access to the plugs are good and they dont hang down like the headmans do.Paid 449.00 u.s for them .just another option for you to look at in the quest for A-body ,A-engine headers.
Old 12-17-2001, 02:16 AM
Inactive User

pentastarguy,

I never ran my bee with manifolds. i have them, but for me the benefits are overwhelming in favor of headers. The last few issues of High Performance Mopar had an exhaust showdown on a 440 in a 67 Coronet. They tested all kinds of headers against stock manifolds and magna fluxed manifolds. Even the cheapo shortie headers blew away the manifolds! I eventually will get the tti headers with the nice finish , but for 80 bucks I could not go wrong. Now remember, I got a good deal because it was good timing. I cant promise the same for you. i bet they are traditionally priced around 140 or so so don't be too shocked at the price you get. Hve fun and tell me what you go with!
Old 12-17-2001, 07:29 PM
Inactive User

Angry

I have the Mopar Performance headers on my 72 340 Swinger and they had to be banged up pretty good by the torsion bars and the steering linkage in order to clear without rubbing or vibrations. I have the heads shaved .040 also so that may have lowered them a little bit causing some clearance problems. There also was no room to get past the power steering box also. I would recommend Hooker, as a friend of mine used them with more luck.
Old 12-17-2001, 08:12 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

thanks mr mopar, i definitely hear you on the mopar pipes. will scrutinize them a little closer!
Old 12-17-2001, 08:29 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up headers

HEADERSBYED!! He info packet is great, his audio tape is better. You get what you pay for!!!
Old 12-17-2001, 11:28 PM
Inactive User

I believe Blackjack used to or still does make the MP headers. They are a budget header at best.
Old 12-18-2001, 09:07 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

blackjack! now there's a name i have not heard in ages! mr. mopar, how quick is your daytona?
Old 12-19-2001, 02:09 AM
Inactive User

i got a pair of headers for under $100 from summit. they are for big block e-bodies, but will fit with big b-bodies of the same year.

comparing them to heddmans they are very similar, but arent true equal lengths. they hang low, have 1/4" or so flanges, 1 7/8 primaries, painted black that melts off of course... for now, with my stock drivetrain they work great.

when i stepup my motor with edelbrock heads, the TTI's geometry that clears the angled plugs will come in handy.
Old 12-19-2001, 07:12 PM
Inactive User

I haven't had a chance to get to the racetrack with it as I purchased it just soon after the track closed for the season. I will have to wait for the spring time but it does have a fair amount of snap. I am thinking that it will be in the 14 second range.