Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-16-2001, 07:36 PM
Inactive User

Default power to manual steering conversion?

Ok guys, i just want to make sure I have everything i need to convert my dart sport from power to manual steering. I have a Manual steering box that I picked up at a swap meet, and I also picked up a new steering column to change from column to floor shift (not sure if it's from a power or manual car). Does it matter whether the column is from a power or manual car? Am I going to need anything else to convert it?

Thanks
Steve
Old 12-16-2001, 07:55 PM
Inactive User

Yes, it does matter. The manual box is smaller than the power unit so the the steering shaft in on the column is longer. If you have a power steering column, don't fret, Firm Feel does make an adapter to make up for the difference in length.
Old 12-16-2001, 07:57 PM
Inactive User

Yes, the manual box has different splines on both sides. The column itself doesn't matter. What does matter is the coupler that actually attaches to the worm gear of the box because of the different splines. And again on the pitnam arm for the same reason. Those items will need to be done and when your done, you'll have better road feel at higher speeds and have shaved a few pounds off the weight. I've researched a little 'cause I'm doing the same on my Duster. Good Luck!

I guess I'm a little slower type than he is. That is a good point about column length!
Old 12-16-2001, 08:01 PM
Inactive User

So If I get a new pitman arm and column coupler, I will be set. Right? Thanks for the help

Steve
Old 12-17-2001, 12:15 AM
Inactive User

Yep, should be. The next question is getting the box out around the headers!
Old 12-17-2001, 12:17 AM
Inactive User

Oh that's not a problem... the car is completely disassembled....

Steve
Old 12-17-2001, 12:28 AM

I did this to my 73 Dart Sport, I put a manual box in when the engine was out and went to the local junk yard and picked up a steering colum out of a 4-speed car with manual steering. It was a total bolt in and eliminated the auto shifter and stuff on the colum. Header clearance in now much better.
Old 12-17-2001, 12:36 AM
Inactive User

Hey darn, do you have pictures of your dart sport?
Old 12-17-2001, 12:48 AM

dartsportsteve, email me at five0@minot.com and I will send you a few. Kevin.
Old 12-17-2001, 01:32 AM
Inactive User

One thing to check is the od of the output shaft as there are 2 sizes,the smaller one is A body only the bigger one is B E &C body,youll never find a pitman arm to put a B,E&C body box in an A body,so measure the od of the output shaft on your current power steering box and be sure your manual box measures the same,if so you can use your existing pitman arm,there are several replacement pitman arms avail if yours is shot but the pickings are getting slim and pricey,expect to pay around $80 for a new one.Remember there is one wider spline on the input shaft and also one on the steering column coupler,to find where it is on the coupler look for an indentation on the outside of it,its a quick reference which really helps if your installing your column by yourself,have fun...........PRO.......