Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-29-2001, 02:30 AM
Inactive User

Question

My car is an Aspen and I run the MP extension front spring hanger with A-body springs under my 8 3/4 rear.

My car 13.39's @ 104. The best 60 ft is 1.89. I think it should be a lot better than that. The snubber is set properly.

The problem is that once a year I've been braking the front eye on the leaf spring and have to have a new main leaf made. I'm wondering if the torque boxes are flexing enough to brake the springs.

I'm wondering if I should box in the torque boxes and whether that will help my 'skating' problem off the line and braking leaf springs.

With 104 MPH at only 13.39 I feel I'm losing a ton on the bottom half of the track.

Jason
indychamp@hotmail.com
Jason's Aspen/Volare Club http://www.geocities.com/indychamp

[This message has been edited by bbaspense (edited January 28, 2001).]
Old 01-29-2001, 02:32 AM
HOT ROD JOHN

YOU ARE NOT USING ALL THE POWER AVAILABLE
104 IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR 12.75
Old 01-29-2001, 02:39 AM
Inactive User

Angry

That's what I thought.

I run a 3000 converter, 3.91 gear and 26 inch tire. The engine is a 400 with a 484/292 cam and VERY ported '452' heads. I use a stock cast iron '77 intake.

I'm still wondering about the springs. The car doesn't have frame connectors so I think I'm losing a ton in twist. The engine have a torque chain which doesn't help I guess but improved the cars reaction.

Jason
indychamp@hotmail.com
Old 01-29-2001, 02:57 AM
HOT ROD JOHN

WHAT KIND OF SQUEEZE DO YOU HAVE IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU SCHOULD BE FASTER THAN THAT WITH "VERY PORTED" HEADS? AND BOY THIS INTERNET I A PAIN TONIGHT!
Old 01-29-2001, 03:09 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

Squeeze? No squeeze.If I ran NOS I would have a pile of parts under my Aspen not an engine!!

I am running Stock 8.2 to 1 pistons in a 180000 mile reringed 400. I think I'm lucky to be running as well as I do.

The motor is.
484/292 cam
Polished and chamfered crank
Honed cylinders
new ring/bearings
windage tray
High Volume Pump
Ported 452 heads.
That's it.

Anyways I was talking about the springs not my engine?

Jason
indychamp@hotmail.com
Old 01-29-2001, 03:49 AM
HOT ROD JOHN

SORRY. I WAS ASKING ABOUT COMPRESSION RATIO NOT SPRAY (NITROUS) BUT THAT WONT HELP YOU WITH THE SPRING PROBLEM. I KNOW A GREAT CHASIS GUY IN ITASKA IL. MOTIVE MOTION.
Old 01-29-2001, 05:45 AM
Inactive User

Are you using stock springs or SS springs? In the picture they look like stock type springs. When you launch, leaf springs tend to wind up into a S shape, maybe they are flexing enough to break the front spring eye. The Super Stocks use an extra half leaf to stiffen the front segment and reduce flexing. I know three people that run in the mid 10's with somewhat heavy cars (one of them is a '70 Sport Fury drag car) using the Super Stock suspension and none of them have experienced the kind of breakage you describe. I don't think it pays to reinforce the "torque boxes" unless they show signs of flexing or stress cracks where the hangers bolt on.

------------------
my 2¢ worth...
amopargu
Old 01-29-2001, 01:28 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation

Sorry JANDJ. I've heard nitrous called so many things these days.

I'm running stock 6 cyl A-body springs. Well they used to be. Now both sides have main leaves made by a spring shop. When the leaves broke I had a spring shop make a new main leaf. They seem to be doing the job now. I'm just worried about have another one break. It's $135 to have a main leaf made.

I want to go with Super Stock Spings soon but they're pretty $$$ in Canada.

I'm going to install frame connectors soon. I've never seen a kit made for the F body so I'm going make my own.

Isn't it true that all hemi can had boxed torque boxes from the factory? That's one way to tell if the car is a fake?

I'm still considering CalTracs but they are almost $500 here in Canada.

Jason
indychamp@hotmail.com
Old 01-30-2001, 12:04 AM
Inactive User

Wink

Does anyone run these MP Extension hangers. Can they tell me if they had any problems and how fast they go?

Jason
indychamp@hotmail.com
Old 01-30-2001, 06:30 PM
Inactive User

Jason my guess is by adding the extension boxes youve moved your springs back to far,beyond their ideal locating point,Ive seen this type of destuction on 4 links that are misadjusted,you might try redrilling the box with a more forward locating point and look at your 60ft times,if they improve your on the right track,youll know right away as your "skating" should be drastically affected. And yes your car is capable of faster ETs but not with your current gearing,sounds like its making good power for your combo.......PRO.....
Old 01-30-2001, 06:32 PM
Inactive User

Jason my guess is by adding the extension boxes youve moved your springs back to far,beyond their ideal locating point,Ive seen this type of destruction on 4 links that are misadjusted,you might try redrilling the box with a more forward locating point and look at your 60ft times,if they improve your on the right track,youll know right away as your "skating" should be drastically effected,did you run the car before you added the boxes? how did they effect it? And yes your car is capable of faster ETs but not with your current gearing,sounds like its making good power for your combo though.......PRO.....
Old 01-30-2001, 06:52 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

I've been running the 3.91 to keep the revs down on the top end. It goes through at traps at 5200 which I guess isn't really all that high. I'm thinking that 4.30 would probably work better and should have me at about 5500 at the end.

I really don't try to rev this motor. I shift at 5500. I think maybe a 4000 stall over the present 3000 converter would help but would make my 'skating' worse than on 2400 launches.

Jason
Old 01-31-2001, 02:36 AM
Inactive User

Hemi cars came boxed in the front spring hanger area, I think ragtops did too. I have Super Stocks on my B-Body and they also require an extended front spring hanger. They look just like the ones in your picture except they have an additional hole to allow for ride height adjustment. I've never run the car at the track but it has been subjected to some "spirited" street driving with no ill effects.

------------------
my 2¢ worth...
amopargu
Old 01-31-2001, 03:21 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

If you look way up in the pic you can see the other hole. I have the springs set on the lower hole.

Jason
indychamp@hotmail.com
Old 01-31-2001, 03:23 AM
HOT ROD JOHN

I ALSO HAVE THE EXTENSION BOXES ON MY SEVENTY RD RNR WITH SUPER STOCK SPRINGS. I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM BREAKING ANYTHING IN THE SPRING DEPARTMENT JUST THE RING AND PINION. THE GUY THAT SAID SOMETHING ABOUT FRONT SECTION SPRING FLEX COULD BE ON THE RIGHT TRACK.
Old 01-31-2001, 03:25 AM
HOT ROD JOHN

Thumbs up

I WAS ALSO THINKING ABOUT CALTRACS. HAVE YOU GONE TO THERE WEBSITE?