Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-17-2001, 09:02 PM
Banned

Default Crane HI-6R vs. MSD6AL

I've seen the ads for the new Crane HI-6R and wondered if anyone had actually put one on an engine and tested it ?
Old 12-18-2001, 12:07 AM
Inactive User

Default crane hi-6

hi just bought one off e-bay last week and put it on tonight. it was very simple and quick to install, good instructions. the rev limiter is a nice setup(dials) it seems to make a big difference from the seat of pants. will have to get it to the track. i have a spark tester, with my chrome box and a msd blaster coil it made a decent glow, with the hi-6 the spark is VERY amplified. i have also tried a jacobs unit once and hated it, went back to the chrome box. i'm very happy with this unit.
Old 12-18-2001, 07:55 PM
Inactive User

I have no comparisons of the two boxes, but make sure the box is properly grounded. A friend fried a HI-6 box by not grounding it correctly (so he said, he may have wired it incorrectly?)
Old 12-19-2001, 12:24 AM
Banned

I learned a long time ago to run a separate ground wire to the engine for ANY electronic ignition system. It saves a lot of troubleshooting time...
Old 12-19-2001, 11:12 PM
Inactive User

Duster360, what didn't you like about the Jacobs box? I've used them before with great results, so I'd like to know as I'm considering a new box for my 440. I've read good things about Mallory's HYfire and may try one of them-I'm looking for input about them before buying tho. (Check my new post) thanks.......djs
Old 12-19-2001, 11:23 PM
Inactive User

djswwd: the problem i had with the one i had was it would work for a hour then it wouldn't run, or try and start it and it would have no spark. jacobs was no help when i called, they tried to tell me it was wired wrong and that it was damaged now(no warrantee) i checked it twice and had a "ase" certifed mechanic check it and he agreed it was wired correct. it now resides in the garbage dump. i'm extremely happy with the crane unit.
Old 12-20-2001, 11:24 AM
Inactive User

Default HI-6R Deal!!

Just bought Crane HI-6R and Crane coil combo from JEG's On-line for $189.95 (plus $6 for handling)....not a bad deal seeing where the the box alone usually goes for about $249.
http://www.jegs.com/
Old 12-20-2001, 09:43 PM
Banned

I checked out Jegs, and the ignition box is the HI-6, not the HI-6R, besides you may want to check summit before you lay out any cash. In the printed catalog the Hi-6 + coil was less than $ 160.00
Old 12-20-2001, 10:50 PM
Inactive User

duster360, thanks........djs
Old 12-21-2001, 10:28 AM
Inactive User

Default HI-6 vs HI-6R

Thanks DellG,
I do stand corrected on those Crane model numbers. It is the HI-6 rather than the 6R.
According to the Crane website, http://www.cranecams.com/ignition/hi6.htm
the only difference that I can find between two models is that the 6R has rubber spacers for shock mounting and one can add the optional timing retard module. I usually add the rubber spacers anyway myself and I certainly don't need the retard capability option.
I did check some prices at Summit Online this morning, (supposedly latest pricing, but I did not call them to verify it) and the HI-6 module alone was $181.95 and then the coil was another $59.95.
I did price the HI-6 module by itself at Jeg's and it was $249 (they may have it priced wrong). The Crane coil priced by itself at Jeg's was the same as Summit at $59.95.
With that data, I don't think I got ripped too bad by buying that combo deal at Jeg's. It may not be so bad after all.
LJ
'72 Demon 340 -4spd
'72 Swinger w/RB
'73 Sport 340
Old 12-21-2001, 01:31 PM
Inactive User

I have heard the same as duster360 mentioned.
The Jacobs boxes seem to perform good when they work correctly, but if you have a problem your screwed. From all the complaints I have heard, Jacobs has really bad customer service.

I went with the MSD6AL box as they seem to have a good reputation for dependability and very good customer service if you do have a problem.

I have considered using a Crane HI-6 as it is supposed to have a hotter spark and more features, but it was very new several years ago when I made my purchase and I could not get any feedback from people who have used the Crane box.
Old 12-21-2001, 04:52 PM
Inactive User

anyone use the accel 300+ system? any good? Let me know! i am debating between crane or accel (msd is out of the question!)
thanks
moparmac!
Old 12-21-2001, 06:03 PM
Inactive User

I have used MSD, Hi 6 and 300+ ignition and currentl have Hi6 and MSD. First I must say that in a moderate engine you will not make any power with a 'big' ignition system. All the engine needs is that someone ignites tht air/fuel that comes in and is compressed, a single point distributor in condition with stock parts can do it almost as well as a state of the art MSD billet unit. If you think you can find a lot of power there, you are only cheating yourself.
Anyway, in a big cammed street car the biggest benefit of those ignition boxes is the muli spark feature that really helps howthe engine runs at low rpm. I think all of those forementioned ignition boxes work great and the choice is more a matter of personal preference. I burned two 300+ boxes partially because of my own stupidity. The best feature of it was that the box is small compared to Hi6 or MSD 6AL. The worst was the rew limiter, the chain switches were under a cover and you need a guide to select the correct ones for what you want, no quickie thing to set the settings.
The Hi 6 has been in use for seven years and it works fine. It's rather bulky, and the difficult thing with that one too is the rew limiter. Already after a couple of years turning the small dial indicators with what ever first comes of hand gurantees that no one can read where the arrows point at.
Last but not least is the good old transistor MSD. Like the others, it works fine too. it's shorter an narrower than the Hi 6, but bigger than the 300+. The rew limiter is very easy to use with the clearly marked pills, and perhaps the best feature is that if it breaks it's easy to repair by anyone with a basic knowledge of electronics and some 'hardware store' stuff. Mine is seven years old and not a problem with it so far. My choice is MSD, you may prefer some other, they all work the same.
Old 12-24-2001, 11:51 AM
Banned

I did a little more research on this, and the unit a Summit for under $ 160.00 was a HI-6S & LX 92 coil, where as the unit at Jegs was a HI-6 & LX 92 coil for $ 189.99

The difference in cost is the difference in control boxes, the HI-6 is a step up on the HI-6S. Also, it looks like Summitis dropping the Crane Ignition line, you may be able to pick up some good deals if they're clearing out the warehouse.