Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-19-2001, 03:28 AM
Inactive User

Question 3/4 grooved bearings

Any good or bad experiences with 3/4 grooved main bearings? Do they accomplish what is advertised as providing
more oil, less oil loss, and does it really matter for mild street-strip use?

Does anyone besides FM make these in B block undersizes?
Old 12-19-2001, 09:46 PM
Inactive User

mshelly, I have been using them in my supercharged big block that I drag race for 5 years. I have not had any problems at all. I do not know of any other brands out there.
Old 12-20-2001, 12:23 AM
Inactive User

mshelly I have several friends running them.No problems, I use the clevites 77s.wide groves. I guess 3/4 is for more bearing surface on the bottom.I have'nt seen any real world gains in running them. To me it seems like the trick of the week type thing.
If there about the same money,I would use them ,if there higher i wouldnt. My 2'' cents
Jim
Old 12-20-2001, 12:47 PM
Inactive User

Maybe i'm missing the point here I assume your talking about the full groove crank bearings. If not disregard the rest of this. I use the full grooves on the 383 in the runner. Just to make sure the is oil supplied all the way around. I want all the protection I can get when the motor winds up to 6grand. There are two different widths on these, also. For street use the narrower ones- on the track use the wider as oil consumption by the crank isn't as critial as it is in a street motor.
there is only one manufacturer of bearing n the US. Theat have diffent boxes and names, but it is all the same company. I don't know if quality changes from each brand or not. I have the FM bearings and the look great ( I wanted to see if the sythetics really do the job- they do.
Old 12-20-2001, 05:32 PM
Inactive User

mshelly, I forgot to ask if you are using them now? If you haven't seen these bearings they are a different looking color but they have a note that comes with the bearings stating that the color/looks aren't important--its how they perform that is important. I've gotten great life from the ones in my Daytona --so I will keep using them.