Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-19-2001, 05:40 AM
Inactive User

Default New Project for me!!

k heres my new project i want to build a truck with my 360 since no one wanted to buy it well... heres what i have to work with...an 87' 360, edelbrock aluminum heads, edelbrock intake with harland sharp adjustable rockers now im not sure what the comp ratio is the pistons were new from the guy i bought the motor from but im not sure what he put in it...id like to have the highest i can and still run pump gas(i heard 10:1 is about as high as i can go..is that right?) i was also thinking aluminum rods to get a little more rpms and to lighten the rotating assembly along with my engine. i was hoping to have at least 450-500 hp...is my stock crank going to be up to the task? i think thats it for starters any help and info would be appreciated thanks
Old 12-19-2001, 04:21 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Hey Swan;

What intake do you have there? I suggest porting out the heads preety good for the 500 mark. So long the crank checks out OK. It'll hold the power.
10-1 is where it get real thin for pump gas working right. What type & size of cam are you going to run? Might ping on 93 if the cam is to small.
Old 12-19-2001, 04:35 PM
Inactive User

hey thanks for the reply... i dunno about the cam i was looking for suggestions im completely open. the intake is the dual plane performer rpm think it will do? and i plan on runnin 93 its pretty readily available here in new orleans...is the 450-500 mark kind of pushing it? would i get any kind of idle or usability with the modifications id have to do to get it there? the motor is .40 over btw...any suggestions on a carb? thanks again
Old 12-19-2001, 06:15 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Swan;

Made a mistake before. The 10-1 max ratio is for the iron headed engine. Sorry about that. With the Alum. head, you can go approx. another point of comp.
Is the RPM up to task you ask? YES it is. Look here at this site and check out mag. articles. Read "Feeling light headed"
http://edelbrock.com You don't have to follow the story exactly. There are some tricks to apply here with out going so large in the cid department.
Carb? I'm a Carter fan myself. Although a Holley with a 4 corner idle system would do you better. 800 cfm should do it fine.
Cam? If you didn't want to copy the story, a soild about the same size or 1 step larger would do the 500 hp mark right. Theres allways a roller if you have the wallet for it.
Useablity? Useing a big cam will limit stret use. A milder cam and a 100 hp shot of No2 would make it more of a streetable beast. Your choice.
Useing a big cam effectivly would require a set of 4.10-4.88's with a taller tire. Crusie would be 3300+ or so @ 55-60 mph.
This is where i'm at and don't mind it. The car isn't used alot so it's not a big deal.
If the car was used more offten, I would have used a 280 dur. and 3.55's. I would loss 50 or so HP, but, it would have tons of torque down low where the 3.55's would benifit the combo.
I wouldn't push the stock cast crank past 600 HP.
MAKE SURE ALL IS IN GOOD SHAPE! Do it right....do it once!
Old 12-19-2001, 07:26 PM
Inactive User

any suggestions on where to get the rods and pistons from?... tranny? in the article it said the 904 was a better choice... do you agree? i alread have a tci streetfighter rated up to 450 hp i didnt think a 904 could take that....whats a better choice? i have a 904 as well but its a stock piece. id have to get it built. does the 727 eat up that much power?thanks for all the information so far its really helping this project get some ground
Old 12-19-2001, 09:15 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Default No problem with info. Glad to share it. Anytime!

Stock rods can take it. Blast them clean, deburr them, then polish. These rods should be check for cracks. Called "Magnafluxing."
Aftermarket rods like from "Eagle" are stronger and can handle 600HP. (I think)
Pistons should be at least the Hyperutecic type. KB, Fed-Mougal etc... Pay attention to overall ratio with the reduced head chamber of the Edel's.
Forged pistons would be the ultimate for strength and the right choice for No2.
The 904 is preferred due to less HP useage and loss. The 727 is stronger. If you have one, use it. I don't know the power loss amount between the 2. But, the 904 is worth at least a couple of tenths.
The 904 can take alot of punishment. It MUST be built right.
The 727 is the bullet proof ape mauler. The 904 is just the lil'brother. No one said lil'brother wasn't tuff enuff. They just never gave him the chance. The word is leaking out. Your choice.
If I had the 727 laying on the side rated at 450 hp, I'd use it in a flash. If I was racing in a pro manor, 904.