Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-20-2001, 03:28 AM
Inactive User

Angry You want to know what Pisses me off!?

How a lot of Mopar guys on here are such A$$holes.
I was reading a few forums about different brands of cars and how great their dodge is and how much better it is, YET they dont have the balls to step on the gas little own drive their ALL MIGHTY hemi that sits and collects dust. Those things are sure fast!! sitting never being used.
Im ashamed to own a mopar now, You know what I get for attitude from people cause I own a mopar?
since most people who own mopars are so anal that their air vent is a 1/64 of an inch out or it doesnt have this or that and shun all the cars that are modified.
Its all the Puriests that are so narrowminded and can talk so much how their car is soo much faster yet wont even drive their car or little own change the fuel filter because its 'Stock'.
I say Screw all you puriest's!
Most of you are all arrogent pricks, not all of you but they know who they are.
The thing that sparked this post is how most people attack other brands yet that camara or that muskrat is a faster car hands down sorry to say and how people say that oh that car could never run that!! example that 89 Pontiac trans am thread with the turbo that could never run in the low 13's according to muscle car puriests!
The Hemi was a good motor but whats so good about power thats not being used.
Old 12-20-2001, 04:46 AM
Inactive User

Hell yea, I know what you mean. I was raised in a mopar family, my dad has a 69 dart 340 that has been modified. It is one of the cleanest setups I have seen. Yet, he doesn't win at mopar shows. Becasue it has been modified. Well skrew all ya stock ass bastards! You want stock? I have a 70 dart /6 car that ahs a 318 in it, and is getting a 360 magnum EFI, so blow me!
Old 12-20-2001, 07:25 AM
Inactive User

Default Hell Yee!

Hell yea with modifyed! I don't have much to say, but I had a "69 Dart 383 and I still miss that bitch. Mother Mopar has always been good to us. Now with the Germans running it (?). They need some good 'ol boys back like in the '60's and '70's.
Old 12-20-2001, 07:36 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Mopars are cool and unique, but some owners are'nt. There like you can pick your friends but you cant pick your........
Personally I like the mopar the way the guy that owns it, wants it.

Jim
Old 12-20-2001, 08:01 AM
Inactive User

Guys... clean up the language!! No problem with venting or voicing your opinion,but clean it up a bit!!
Old 12-20-2001, 08:39 AM
Inactive User

Default Whoa!!! Take a breath!!!

OK Dart 440......and everyone else,that's your opinion and I can respect that.BUT.....I think your wrongly judging MOST Mopar owners by the actions of a few. Granted,there are some really anal retentive Mopar owners people out there,I know a few. If that's their idea of fun,more power to them. In my opinion the VAST majority of Moparphiles are very down to earth and love to run their cars. And to reply to xf69fs....I totally agree with you on the car show deals. The worst car shows are the mixed brand ones that the people and not judges get to vote. Most people don't care about the time/care invested in a car,all they see is a Camaro/Firebird.

http://www.geocities.com/icm3459/
Old 12-20-2001, 09:24 AM
Inactive User

Hey, its been my experience about cars (and in life) that when a person is so dogmatic about something that indicates a limited mental or physical capacity so they put up that dogma as a smokescreen-to cover up their deficiency.

Cars are like ice cream, they make chocolate or vanilla or other flavors to suite everyone's tastes. They make tutie fruitie for me.

I like all brands of cars, own GMs, Fords and even have a Mopar (as well as some Mopar race engines). Why did I decide to race Mopars? Because I like to swim upstream. Swimming downstream is too easy. Cars are like women, I appreciate them all; I just appreciate some more than others.
Old 12-20-2001, 10:22 AM
Inactive User

Around here there are definately this breed of people who refuse to modify thier car and shun others who do, but they are the clear minority. The modified guys are more prevalent and are usually more inclined to help you out with your car. There is a group of muscle car guys in my town who i dub "Crazy Nitrous Guys" because they live and die with insane amounts of spray. And if you want some advice or help installing your system, they say call them up anytime, just because they are nice people. Best of all these guys drive Chevies, Fords, and Mopars, and frankly i don't care because they all love cars. Car shows are usually bunk for anyone that is moderately modded because the high dollar cars win modified with thier blowers and 50in tires while the concours resto cars win stock, but i go anyways to enjoy the autos and pick up some hints all the while knowing i like my car the way it is(...going to be).
Old 12-20-2001, 11:07 AM
Inactive User

I know where your comming from.
I parked my modified '71 Charger next to some "Restored" Mopars at a car show and one guy starts picking it apart with the "this is wrong, this isn't stock, etc" B.S.
This guy parked next to me was a real jerk too.
He did have a nice car, and I asked him some questions about the restoration, which he couldn't answer? He din't know s**t about the car other than he paid someone alot of $$$$$ for the car.

I don't give much mind to these guys as I really don't run into them that often around here (most of the Mopar guys I know are pretty cool and like restored and modified cars), and when they are cleaning the mirrors under their cars, I'm out on the track having fun racing and doing killer burnouts that cover the rear quarters with rubber

The Majority of Mopar car shows and events I go to are pretty good in terms of the mix of cars and how the people get along. Also at the races, I have made friends that own Chevys, Fords, Pontiacs, etc.
Some of the snotyist people I have ran into are the Corvette owners, who even shun other Chevy owners with less expensive cars. Heck just look at the comparison between the average Mopar car show (any mopar is invited) and the average GM car show where there is a seperate show for Corvettes, Camaros, Pontiacs, Buicks, etc...
Old 12-20-2001, 12:27 PM
Inactive User

This is just a little sore spot now isn't it? Tell ya what. I drive the Road chicken about 5-8000 miles every year. I built it with basically what I could have ordered out of the factory. I like it to look as stock as possible, but I like twin screw worm clamps. I like an ignition that can overcome the washed out plugs on a BB cylinder design-so where I could improve things I did- so what? The factory stuff isn't always the best choice 30 yrs down the road. particularly if you actually DRIVE THE CAR,( A kid sitting in the driver seat trying to wear out the Beep Beep horn means alot more to me that some cute little trophy, at least I know i've brought the bug to another generation not turned them off because I'm an arrogant self centered fool),If you want to keep your car bone stock- great glad to see it and I defend your right to do so. But if you think that that is the only way to do it, and tell me whats not right about it, I will have to remind your narrow minded self that the bascially stock 383 ,( Cam , carb and Jacobs ignition) under the hood has embarrassed alot of stock 440s and a black belching hemi or two- show cars over the years. You have it your way I'll have it mine- or so help me GOD I WILL DATE YOUR DAUGHTERS...... DADDY - that usually ends the pedestal preaching
Old 12-20-2001, 03:40 PM
Inactive User

Default Glad Im not alone.

The general Concensious that I get from the posts so far is everyone has seen those guys im talking about, and frankly I bet hardly any anal retentive Puriests read this forum because It speaks of modifying (even if it be a small thing like jacobs ignition that actually makes the car run better and other thing things etc..) even the littest bit.
I said Most purests are dickheads, not everyone because I have met some that still can appreciate a big block stuffed in a Dart, that has been modified.
Then again my car is worth more the way it sits with the RB in it with 8 3/4 etc.. then it would be absolutely mint with the slant 6 in it..lol it would probly only be worth 1500 anyways if it was stock, come on its a 72 dart .
A lot of the *Purests* ive seen that are real knobs end up putting themselves up on a pedistle above everone else because they have the stock hose clamps yet the car leaks more with them
I can appreciate a totally restored car and can tell all the little details etc.. but when the same car I was admiring's owner looks at my car and tells me its not correct, I just told em hey if mother mopar didnt want it like this then they would have never made the DC K-member for the BB would they ??
And you know your not cool if you dont run Nitrous Oxide it gets addicting but im looking into a turbo, less bottle fills then ..hehe just enough spray to get the turbo spooled..
Merry Christmas all!
Old 12-20-2001, 04:30 PM
Inactive User

Great thread! I was waiting for the flame throwers and none came!

I don't care what you got. Just drive it!
Old 12-20-2001, 06:20 PM
Inactive User

You're not likely to see these people in message boards anyway. The cars they own is only for car show ego stroking. The rest of the time they are cultivating their portfolios and playing golg and being at the country club. Thats fine with me. I imagine ther are a lot of 'em that don't talk about their musclecars to their peers becasue their peers are into classic Porsches and Ferraris and Lambos and Bentleys. I only have one thing to say: STOP COLLECTING THE LOWLY MOPARS! COLLECT CARS THAT ARE ASSOCIATED WITH YOUR INCOME BRACKET!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-20-2001, 08:26 PM
Inactive User

I'm in! I've seen some of these guys that do complete Concourse restorations that go so far as to reproduce the factory's welding mistakes, etc. I see their cars about once a year. When I go to their house and it's in the garage. Look, my Duster ain't anywhere near pretty. It's not the fastest car in the parking lot at work (I'm beat out by a '65 AC Cobra kit and a 355 Rat Camaro), but it's mine. And I LOVE MY MOPAR! It came from the factory as a bright red /6-904-7.25 no option transportation. Holds a blue book of $550.00. Now it has a 330 h.p. 318, being converted to A833, 8.25 (hopefully new gears soon!) and Summit buckets, console, and a roll bar! I payed for it, I enjoy it how I want. This IS America! Let the purists be purists, that's their thing. I can appreciate that in it's time and place. I'm looking to whoop on that Camaro and Cobra Mopar Style!
Merrry Mopar Christmas!
Old 12-20-2001, 09:07 PM
Inactive User

I wasn't gonna get into this but

Are you sure you guys just don't go to the wrong shows?

I have a '39 Chrysler. Stock. I drive it alot and love it. It is simple,
a reminder in my life that everything doesn't have to be complicated. And yet for all the simplicity it is representative of the technology that made Europe look like the bottom of a shake & bake bag.

Needless to say, the car does not exactly go over big at street rod shows. I go anyway, the cars there are neat in their own way.
Can I count how many well meaning people want to know when I'm putting in a hemi?

Rods don't go over big at antique shows.

I am not a dickhead. I might also remind you that mopar is also a popular choice of hillbillies who do absolute hatchet jobs, think
it is great and leave tobacco juice stains everywhere.
Old 12-20-2001, 09:31 PM
Inactive User

Default Mopar ButtHeads

I get the same feeling as most of you do. Also
If you are not driving and Origional Big Block
Mopar muscle car these GEEKS can't give you the time of Day.
NOT a good way to get more people into this Great Hobby. So I am happly driving my NOT A NUMBERS 318 Satellite Sebring with an RR stripe to work each day instead of letting it stay in a garage.

www.members.shaw.ca/ferd/sat13.jpg

I have meet a few nice Mopar People
Fred..
Old 12-20-2001, 09:33 PM
Inactive User

If you've got a classic you've got a classic. If I had a #'s matching car I would probably be dead and someone would be impersonating me. I wouldn't buy a #'s matching car because I like to make it my car. Sure I have money that I have busted my ass for, but why spend it on something that sits. I have a 66 Belvedere II I bought off some joker. I didn't know much about value and what not but I like the lines of the car. After I bough it I put a new 440 (not original) new paint (not original), Cowl induction Fiber Hood (not original), but who cares the car only books out with it's original 318 for $5000.00. The looks I get driving this thing are better than the guy driving the $100,000 Mercedes. I just like to go fast and kick A$$!! I like all kinds of 60's vintage cars. Poeple that are loyal to just one car are stupid. My wife's whole family is Chevy guys and I don't say a thing. Those cars are not my choice but they are cool too. Anything with a big motor from 66 to 72 fits my bill. I am only 28 years old, and only wish I could have seen all the cars in those days driving on the road. All I see now is the show cars, and maybe a glimpse of one on the road if I'm really lucky. Now it's the import craze. I'll tell ya something to remember, IMPORT THIS!!!!!
Old 12-20-2001, 10:02 PM
Inactive User

Well now wait a minute- Not all these guys are bad. like I said- I appreciate a fully restored Mopar. I think it has a place and that's great- I wouldn't do it, but I'm glad some one does. An dalot of them appreciate my ride too. But when I'm nitpicked on by certain faction who believe that is the "ONLY CORRECT WAY" for the car to be. and if it isn't the stock collectable only a 383- And proceed to get rude about it- especially when it doesn't get driven.( 500 miles a year is just maintenance in my book)- That ticks me off. In fact it makes me want to go pull the golf clubs out of the back of thier truck that towed the car there and see just how much I can make them resemble a peacock .

RLH- a 39 Chrysler- thats cool- and it's actually nice to see one that isn't all changed and rodded out. Just to see one. Kinda like the new generation looks at my road runner. Jeez Mr Chicken where is the HI/LOW beam switch- and whats this button thingy on the floor board!?!
Old 12-20-2001, 10:11 PM
Inactive User

well, were do we go from here?
Old 12-20-2001, 10:16 PM
Inactive User

My friend is the only remaining Original Owner of a 70 Hemi Cuda Convertible on this Earth. He has a point about not modifying his Hemi Cuda. On the other hand, he is the best in the business when it comes to performance modifications.

Me, well, if I can't modify it, I don't want it! That is why my computer is down often!

I can't talk about my experinces with car shows, as I have only spectated, never entered a specimen. I do know that some of the big $ MOPAR muscle car owners don't even know where the letters in M O P A R came from.

Billy
Old 12-20-2001, 11:59 PM
Inactive User

I like to be able to go to the nearest parts store and get what I need. No date coded or #'s parts. I feel if it breaks it breaks......ohwell I'll fix it. I have gone to some shows, but not serious ones. Just Mopar gatherings where if its Mopar it comes out. A couple friends and I have driven modded BB Mopars as daily transportation. Usually my engine is not much to look at by mid summer cause it has been apart a few times and paint is chipped off and dirty and I don't like chrome. Its my car so if anyone doesn't like it they can look somewhere else. My BB Volare has gone to Florida twice. Its a 1500mile one way trip.
It even towed a boat back last time. Nothing like puttin in $20 of gas every 3 hours.
Old 12-21-2001, 12:24 AM

At first i didn't know where this was going, but, I agree that some of the MOPAR guys at shows and informal get togethers are the south side of a north going horse. As much as I hate to admit it, the places I go in SoCal always seem to have a lot of Bowtie cars and as a general rule most of them are pretty darn cool and for the most part seem to appreciate other peoples cars.
Old 12-21-2001, 12:38 AM
Inactive User

to say that it is only the Mopar resto guys criticizing "incorrect" cars is to miss something. Resto guys are resto guys regardless of brand and racers are racers. We did a motor in a 68 shelby for a guy and he was telling us about an "expert" he met at a show who told him what was "wrong" with his car. He said, "I know. isn't it great!" There will always be people who think you do a car wrong and should have made it more original, race oriented, or simply ignored it. It isn't a brand thing. I know plenty of ford guys who simply look at their cars (including me) but these same guys have their non-stock toys (my cuda). Heck, the guy most anal about his stock stuff has a viper and an 84 1/2 svo mustang gutted and turned into an scca car (and he chunked the 4cyl and turbo too). It isn't the brand but what the people want to do. And more power to them.
Old 12-21-2001, 11:16 AM
Inactive User

Don't get down on all the restoration guys either.
One of my best friends is a restoration guy and president of a Mopar car club. He likes all types of Muscle cars, stock, restored, modified, even from other car makers. The funny part is my friends even had people make rude comments about some of his cars.
A good example is my friend owns an all original 1970 Charger R/T SE. The car is a surivor, not restored, and the original paint still looks nice and shiny, except it has some minor door dings and a few scratches. At car shows the car dosen't get much attention or respect because it is not "restored".
One thing my friends and I have noticed is that many of the people who try to pick apart what is wrong with a car are the spectators who drove some non-descript grocery getter to the car show. I have often wondered what their cars look like, if they even own a classic car?
Old 12-21-2001, 03:10 PM

I respect both the correctly restored cars and the modified cars. It takes alot of time, efort and money to do either.

When I got my Coronet, it was already modified, so I will keep it looking somewhat correct, however I will be continueing to modify it.

My '68 Charger is still bone stock original. It's missing a couple of parts, however, that is how I bought her. She has never been modified and never will be. I just feel that she is perfect the way she is. On the other hand, I've never been affraid to let her leave alot of rubber on the asphalt
Old 12-21-2001, 05:12 PM
Inactive User

Some of you guys should go take a good look in the mirror! You are treating fellow Mopar enthusiasts exactly the way don't want to be treated.

I can guarantee that some of you who are criticizing the nit-pickers will bust the family budget to get the latest cam, intake or tire that promises to knock off another 10th of a second. That is just as ridiculous as the guy who strives for "as delivered" perfection. It's just a different branch of the hobby, and while you might disagree where the dollar is spent, it's really none of your business.

You should understand and accept the fact that the dedicated restorer hates to see the cars we all fell in love with be gradually transformed from a Mopar into an Edelbrock. I'm convinced that some of the cars I see advertised as a Mopar contain more parts from the aftermarket than from Chrysler.

Just because you want to see some guy's Hemi at full throttle doesn't mean he owes you a da*n thing! It's his car and how he drives it is his business...not yours! Contrary to what some might believe, the collectible auto world does not revolve around the race track.

If you don't like him making comments about your car at a show, tell him so, but quit calling him an idiot on a forum for ALL Mopar fans! Also think about the class in which you enter your modified car at shows. I've been on the registration desk many times and had modified cars insist on being entered in a stock class.

Now before you jump all over me, I'll tell you that I'm a drag racer and all my Mopars are modified, but what another guy enjoys about his hobby is none of my business, and I respect his dedication.
Old 12-21-2001, 09:53 PM

Gary has hit that nail right on the head. I couldn't agree more.
Old 12-21-2001, 10:56 PM
Inactive User

well i guess i'll through my 2% in. i look at a car as a peice of art. the owner being the painter. its great because every car reflects an owners way of painting his great world of the automobile. lets face it, if they all looked about the same, well you know. i always like to educate anyone with me to always keep an open mind when attending a car show. enjoy what you see and always complement the owner of the car. to them THAT is worth more than any trophy they could take home. even if you own a old daily driver, i get a kick out of looking at it and letting the owner know there a good person for workin hard on that car to keep it running. they work hard and deserve credit. as far as the pureist, well there funny people. but remember, there on on a different level than other people in the hobby. if they say somthing outta line, your better off just walking away. they have a whole different world to deal with. they will learn.
Old 12-22-2001, 03:59 AM
Inactive User

Default Aftermarket Parts

How am I supposed to Make my car go fast with all Mopars OVERPRICED aftermarket parts when I can get some edelbrock heads that flow better out of the box and cost a lot less?? did ya see the survey.. about which heads people pick?? on here.. I wonder who got the most votes?
Id take a set of indy heads over any mopar performance head for a big block.
So calling me a trader etc.. turning my car into an edelbrock I dont have all the money in the world for a 10th or 2 so why pay Mopar Performance twice the rate when you can pay edelbrock Once?
Old 12-22-2001, 03:08 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

Well put Gary.

Matt(Dart-440),

You are starting a different rant here, and come to think of it seeing as I know you I can't see where you are coming from.

Your car is so heavily modified who the hell would be telling you what was correct or not or would even care??

Have you even been to a big Chrysler only car show?

Anyway I'm not here to pick on you but just let me add my 2ยข.

I have a numbers correct car that I will continue to work on and be fanatical about the little details(Purist?)
I also have a Swinger that was never built the way my car is destined to become. But it is going to be done to look as if it came from the factory that way(except for the headers of course)
But, the bottom line is, if your driving a Mopar who cares about what your fellow Mopar owners are doing, we have to stick together because we are the underdogs here(not in my eyes though). From my experience it's the Chivy guys that pick each other and everyone else apart.

Oh Matt,
Every Hemi car but one in your town has been running wide open and street racing, you may not have been there to see it, but trust me, it does happen: