Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-20-2001, 04:50 AM
Inactive User

Default Major problem with my 318!

Well my 318 burns oil...big deal piston 7. Well i checked my oil...and what do I see...water... I was like oh nice....time to rip off the head. So thats what i did today, was an hour late for work, and to top it all off, it runs worse than before. I put a new head gasket on, new intake gaskets. It seems really choppy. It wants to die on me, it runs rough, slow, crappy throttle response. WTF did i do wrong? I am ready to drive this fooker into a pole!
Old 12-20-2001, 11:57 AM
Inactive User

Need more information.
Did you rebuild the heads and have them inspected for cracks?
Did you fix the oil burning problem (usually valve stem seals) or fix the problem with water getting into the oil?
Your replacement gaskets are probbably thicker than the stock gaskets which will reduce your compression ratio too.
Old 12-24-2001, 12:22 AM
Inactive User

Default 318 running crappy

Definately need more info

Many variables with what you have done. Push rods not installed properly?rockerarms?vacuum leaks?

like last poster said, were the heads rebuilt? or even resurfaced?

inspected for cracks?

From what you are describing I would think one of the push rods is not seated properly in the rocker arm. This happens frequently when shaft assemblies are installed hastily. I've done it myself, but always been lucky enough to catch it before I put the valve cover back on. Will be visable, that the rocker arm in question will always have tension on it, even when the valve would normally be closed. inspect for freeplay at some point during rotation of engine(twice), all arms should get loose at some point
Old 12-24-2001, 02:43 AM
Inactive User

Please do not run your foooker into any Polish people. Many Poles are fine folks.
I agree that you may have been in too big a rush when you screwed it back together, and did something wrong.
I think it's do-over time. Sorry from... Doug
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!
Old 12-24-2001, 03:13 AM
Inactive User

Dont worry about the Polish people...I only hit fences. hehehe Well I what I did that made it run like crap was reverse the valve covers (it blows oil out the breather, so i reversed it) Its now back the way it should be. Its still a little bit rough, maybe timing. The weather here has been crappy the past few days so I ahve not been able to touch it. Maybe tomorrow. I have a 360 magnum lined up. I am goign to make payments till its payed for. 1200 bucks for the complete motor and EFI setup forma ram. I wil have it done this spring.