Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-21-2001, 01:19 AM
Inactive User

Default My '68 Polara in Maryland needs some work!

Does anyone out there know of a place or a person who knows about or can work on my old '68 Polara. It have a 318 with standard of everything else. This is my problem, I took off the 2 barrel carb and tried to put on a Edelbrock 4 barrel carb with a new Edel. manifold. I wasn't able to put it on. It just didn't line up correctly. This is where I am at this moment. I called Edel. and they said I might need to shave it down in order for it to fit.(taling about the mani.) I might or might not depending on who I can get to look at the old girl. So my question is I need a good mechanic to look at my girl so that they can fix it or tell me what they can do to fix it. I need a mechanic in the Wash./Maryland/Virg. area. I live in Temple Hills Md. but I don't have anyone or any place out here that I can trust and that won't rip me off. So if you know of someone tell them to give me a call @ 301-630-5606 or @ work @ 202-912-5565.

Thank You

is
Old 12-21-2001, 01:57 PM
Inactive User

Does the manifold sit too high or too low, and how much?
Are you using the steel 318 gaskets or the fiber 340/360 gaskets?
Is the intake hanging up on the engine block end rail dowl pins (some intakes don't have holes for the pins, so you have to remove the dowl pins in the end rails.)
Unless the heads or block have been milled, the intake should fit?
The other problem you may have is the throttle cable bracket might be too short. Usually a 360 4-bbl brackets works on the aftermarket intakes (if you can find one?), or you can fabricate a new one by cutting the old one and re-welding it.
Old 12-21-2001, 11:03 PM
Inactive User

This seems to be a common problem for 318's with Performer intakes. I just did my third with the same problem. It lines up great on one side and sits up about 1/8 to 1/4" on the other right? The locator pins on mine are missing as many are. This actually helps. Get the Felpro blue fiber gaskets. Go ahead and get your end pieces in place with sealer and get your side pieces inplace with sealer only around the water passages. they will hold in place. Lower the intake sliding the bypass hose on as you go. Set the intake about the same distance off from the holes on both sides. Place your first bolt in the front right corner about 3-4 threads at most. Then go to the front left corner and get the same amount of threads in. Work your way back the intake going back and forth until there all in about the same thread. The most difficult area is in the middle four. Bring them all in with the same pattern until the intake just sits flush with the heads. Add your throttle return spring bracket and kickdown brackets as well as your ground strap to the body. Then you can do the star pattern for torqueing. That should be it for installing the intake. It's worked for me three times now with no leaks from any of them.
Good Luck!
Merrry Mopar Christmas!