Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-21-2001, 07:35 PM
Inactive User

Cool Open Headers

Out in the country in Alberta, the rules are pretty slack about open headers. So this summer i never really got around to putting exhaust on my Duster. Right now i have 3" collectors and 3 feet of straight 2.5" pipe running off each header, and and dump pipe downwards. I have never had a problem with exhaust coming in my car unless it sits idling for a long time. Now my question is, is it worth it to put mufflers on the beast, or just leave it with open pipes? Noise isn't a problem since I don't have a radio.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2001, 08:03 PM
Inactive User

If you don't want them and can get away with it you may as well run it. Usually, around here, the first time you get stopped the officer will give you a warning and tell you to put mufflers on or next time your getting a ticket.
Old 12-21-2001, 08:53 PM

How can you stand to drive around like that? To me the noise would get anoying in a short time. If it were mine I would put a nice set of turbo style mufflers after the straight pipe. But thats just my opinion.
Old 12-21-2001, 09:26 PM
Inactive User

Well my mom likes it, I can't really sneak into the house late at night when I am driving the Duster.

Is there any horsepower advantage to putting on mufflers?
Old 12-21-2001, 09:46 PM

It will have better low end torque and idle better, with mufflers.

At one time, I had a '70 Challenger with a 440, headers and about 3 feet of pipe behind that. I drove around with it that way for about 3 months. That's when I got my fix it ticket (no points or fine, if it is fixed within 30 days). She didn't like to idle below 1500 RPM. She didn't have much power off of the line either. Once she was up to about 2500 RPM, she would haul @ss. After I completed the exhaust system with a pair of hi flow mufflers, she idled down at about 700 RPM (purred like a kitten). When youe stomped it, she had balls off of the line and it only got better as the RPMs increased.
Old 12-22-2001, 02:34 PM
Inactive User

We pick up about .20 from our mufflers to open heards. We just have the inserts in a peice of 2 1/2 pipe that runs to the rear end and dumps down. The inserts are about 2 feet back from the collector. You can really tell the difference from open headers and when the pipes are on. You still get that poping sound when you let off of the gas. I would go with these if your looking for loudness. We were pulled over here once where the police are real strict and they did not say anything about the mufflers, just the tire marks about 20 feet long on the street was all they were worried about. However it does get annoying for us after awhile and we are planning to switch to the 2 chamber Flow Masters next summer.
Old 12-22-2001, 10:54 PM
Inactive User

I guess i'll throw a couple of hi-flow mufflers on the Duster, i guess if it makes a big difference, i'll just take them off. I already have the pipes so what the hell, throw 'em on
Old 12-23-2001, 05:36 AM
Inactive User

Dusterguy.Ive been wondering why the beef from Alberta has been tough to chew on lately,You been out there scaring the herds with your straight pipes before they go to the slaughter house?Or is it from Ralph Klien out hassling the cows in a drunken rampage? (dont take it seriously ,im just bored and pokin some fun at ya )
Old 12-23-2001, 07:16 AM

As an idea , you may want to be able to change it around depending on your mood that day, the performance that find you get or dont get, or when deputy Fife developes a hemmoroid.

option 1.......run a muffler like a warlock or similer. Then its your choice to run them capped or uncapped.

option 2......possibly use some sort of split connection before the mufflers. Again, You can cap or uncap them.

Either way.......you win. Just my .02.......Dave
Old 12-24-2001, 12:06 AM
Inactive User

Good idea DAVE JONES, i think i'll weld up a couple of split connectors. They are real expensive with the exchange rate and all. I'll think up some quick release mechanism too.

gwaii: good 'ol Ralph is hassling the cows, we've had sighting of him running through the fields naked. (while waving his wine bottles above his head) hahaha.