Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-02-2001, 10:10 PM

After hearing everyone's comments, I guess it would be foolish ,in my situation, to invest alot of money in the 225 six. It sounds like most of you are fond of the 340 motor. Would this be an easier and inexpensive upgrade compared to the big block swap? What transmissions and rear ends do you people suggest I look for. Is it also wise to change the breaks? Sometimes I think it would be alot easier just to find an original 340 euipped car, but the body and interior on this 72 duster was so nice, I just had to have it.
Old 02-02-2001, 10:48 PM

It all depends what you want out of your Duster. If you are looking for a lot of horsepower and trench digging torque, go with a big block. If you are looking to go with something around 300 to 400 horse, I'd go with the smallblock. You can get some decent performance with a slant-6 too. But me personally, I can't see myself putting money into a slant-6 when I can put the same amount of money into a V-8 and have even more power. There are thousands of different formulas for making your Mopar go fast. You just need to figure out which one suits you best.

Sly
Old 02-02-2001, 11:11 PM
Inactive User

Whenever you significantly increase power, you should always consider upgrading the brakes as well. There are lots of other good posts here already about brake swaps, just do a search.

As for the engine swap, the small block swap will be a lot easier. If you've never done a swap before, go with the small block unless you've got an experienced friend willing to help, or you've got a lot of patience and innate mechanical ability, and are the adventurous type. With a mild small block, you'll get away with keeping your existing rear end, are less likely to need to have to relocate things under the hood, with more clearance for valve covers and headers, etc. And yes, it will be much cheaper.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!
Old 02-02-2001, 11:25 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Listen to 72challenger. Also, the 360 would prove easy to get. The 340 isn't a dime a dozen thing. The 360 & 318 are. The 360 will give more torque for the street. Thats were the car lives , right?
Also, you can build the 360 to 400 plus horse easy. And it will be streetable.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Inactive User

When going to a V8 from a 6, the rear end will be way too small. It will work, but not for very long. If you plan on putting any kind of HP down look for a 727 auto not the 904.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:38 AM

i'd get a magnum 360 out of a mid90s-early 2000s pick up, they have good heads, roller cams from factory, etc etc, and alot more inexpensive than a 340, or even an older la 360 would be a good choice, thing about a 340 is you are gonna pay a big price just for the engine just because of what it is, if you go with a 360 la i'd go with a set of x or j heads with 2.02 valves nice cam, aftermarket pistons and i'd see about finding one of the forged cranks for the 360 i'm not sure what they came in, but i heard some on here say the magnums came with forged cranks, or a crank that was made out of a really tough metal that was as strong as forged, but don't take my exact word for it
Old 05-22-2012, 01:59 AM
Inactive User

If you are a freak, you build a 225, if you are looking for performance, you build something else. Although I'm not very experienced /6 builder, the results I've had with the slant are vnot very encouraging. Yes, you can get more performance out of them, but after all the money you will propably not equal even a stock 318.
So, any V8 would be a better starting point unless you turbocharge the /6. The more displacement, the better for any given hp. LA 360 would propably be the easiest, cams etc are less money than for a magnum. The newer engines, especially LA's typically have low CR, and if really high perf is your goal, you must do something for that. Magnum has got better heads and performance potential with mainly factory configuration, they are cast crank engines too, but up to 500 hp there should be no problem with the cranks. Except for the external balance, you need ocrrectly counterbalanced flexplate or concerter in teh 5.9 or 360 (also their balance is different).
Old 05-22-2012, 02:14 AM

you can still run flat tappet cam in a magnum
Old 05-22-2012, 03:41 AM
Inactive User

True, just new, correct length pushrods needed. Crosswind intake manifold is rerasonably priced and is ok for some 400 hp, fits both LA and magnum heads, no provision for a mechanical fuel pump, so you need an electric. And since the magnums were used in pickups & trucks you have to uodate to a passanger car oil pan/pick up. But overall that might be the most sensible way to go.